Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have been using Ski-doo mineral oil religiously and finally have decided to change to synthetic (Ipone), should I run/syphon the mineral right out of it before filling resevoir or is it ok to mix the two? What have you done?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Fluid said:
Hey Guys,

I have been using Ski-doo mineral oil religiously and finally have decided to change to synthetic (Ipone), should I run/syphon the mineral right out of it before filling resevoir or is it ok to mix the two? What have you done?

Thanks!
[snapback]271128[/snapback]​
Just run it until you are near vapors in the resevoir, then change over. Actually, just use up most of the bombi min-oil then fill up with ipone and you will be fine. I was told by a motocrosser that the only trouble mixing oils is if you blend castor oil with anything else. Maxima castor oil was kind to my Honda Cr's. Switched over to the orange Maxima,cant remember the name. Equally good.

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
run it almost empty then add the new... assuming its a one time switch there is no need to siphon or have it bone dry-

have been using Ski-doo mineral oil religiously...
In your SDI ??? Not "supposed to" run mineral in the SDI only the doo syn or doo syn/min mix-

btw- doo mineral and synthetic are the only two that you can mix at will...

·
FAQ man
3,848 Posts
ViperER said:
btw- doo mineral and synthetic are the only two that you can mix at will...
[snapback]271150[/snapback]​
Well, sorry, but this is just not true.

I know for a fact because I have a gallon jug at home with a few different brands of oil mixed together: Polaris mineral, Doo mineral, Pennzoil Synthetic, Stihl oil from the saw, Amsoil Series 2000, and Injex. They mix with no issues, no gelling, no separation, no nothin'.

I have been using this mix of oil in my kids' 1992 Indy 440 for the last couple years with no issues. The oils mix fine as long as they are rated the same, i.e. TCW3.

Do I run this in my new sled?? No. But I am experimenting with the old one to see what happens. So far, for the past 750 miles or so the '92 runs fine, and doesn't seem to mind the concoction of oils at all.

Jerry C.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
lol sleddude those fuji engines would run on suntan oil if it was slighly slippery once they were broken in.
05SDI

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Rev Kev,
I am no expert but I will vouch that AI is without a doubt one of the best oils to run in your sdi or any engine for that matter. No void warranty issues anymore unless you use baby oil or olive oil or....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts