Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never changed grips before on a snowmobile. How do you remove the old grips without destroying the grip heaters. i have a summit 05 800 X.

·
Registered
290 Posts
crfdude86 said:
I have never changed grips before on a snowmobile. How do you remove the old grips without destroying the grip heaters. i have a summit 05 800 X.
[snapback]298401[/snapback]​
Carefully grab the grips and twist and pull outward. You can work the grip off, then when it's time to reinstall, WD-40 the bar & grip and lightly tap it back on with a hammer & block of wood to protect the grip. WD-40 will evaporate when grip is heated but you won't get them back off a second time without cutting the grip.

·
In Search Of PAH!
1,853 Posts
I use a utility knife with a nice new blade to score the grips enough to get about 3/4 of the way through them. Make sure not to go all the way through and get the elements. Then I just start at the inside edge and peel away the grips until you get to the bar ends.

I have done about 10 of them this way without a problem. I just use rubbing alcohol to install the new ones, stays slippery enough to get them on and then locks them into place. Haven't had one grip slip off out of all the ones I did using this method.

·
Registered
260 Posts
crfdude86 said:
[snapback]298401[/snapback]​
I use a 7/8 wrench the open of it and hit the wrench with a hammer and it slides right off. When I put it back on I heat it with a hair dryer and it usually slides right on.

How do you get those pins out of the connectors for the hot grips.

·
Registered
48 Posts
use a hair dryer to heat up the grip for 2-3 minutes. pull and twist. slides right off. do the same when installing the new grip. heat it up for a couple minutes...twist and push it back on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts