Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 MXZ-600 and want to change my chain case oil. Is there a drain plug on the bottom or do I have to take off the case cover? Also what is the best oil to use, and what weight?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just changed it yesterday on my 99 mxz 600
you will need a 3/16 allen key
the plug is underneath
I was told that when changing the oil the cover should come off
4 bolts (10mm) and the gasket should be inspected
also check to ensure that the tensionor moves freely and that you have the right tension on the change
look for any visiable signs of fatigue and/or wear
I completed the job in under a half an hour
I used synthetic 75w90 it takes about 250ml
got a bottle from Canadian Tire for 9.99 cdn should last for 4 changes
good luck

·
Registered
696 Posts
I don't think there is a drain plug on your sled. Just look under and see. If not just take out the bolts and let it drain. Kind of a mess, but it needs to be done. I use amsoil chain case oil. you can usually grt it at a local NAPA of sled shop. Easy job that should take less than an hour. Also while your in there check for any excessive wear. Clean with brake parts cleaner spray. A clean chain chain case is a happy chain case. Make sure all bolts are tight as well......
Paul

·
Registered
482 Posts
There is a drain plug. I do mine once a year with inspection and I use skidoo's synthetic. Its a little expensive. Good luck.

Bob

·
Registered
975 Posts
Always check the allen head screw that holds the chain tensioner in the case. I have found them loose on a number of ZX machines. Shell synthetic chaincase oil seems to be good. I've used Castrol synthetic gear oil but it always seemed to go "milky", sorta white and thick. I've used transmission fluid, don't see any problem with it. Only a chain and a couple of gears going round. I tried it after I read an article where some fellow said that was all he ever used. Said if you could take a motorhome and head up the highest hill you could find, in 100 degree heat, towing a boat, and it be OK in the transmission, it should be fine in a little ol' chaincase. Made sense!

·
Registered
975 Posts
One point on reattaching the chaincase cover. I always put the four bolts in loosely before tighting any of them. I tightened the easy three once, before tightening the lower rear one, and it stripped the thread on the aluminum hole. Had to get a nut on the inside. Not easy. My buddy was helping me a couple of days ago, as I was putting mine back together from long tracking it. I was working on the clutch side while he did the chaincase. Forgot to tell him. He didn't even have them really snug. Same thing happened. Be careful not to overtighten them too, as it is only aluminum.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd like to thank everyone for the helpful advice on this.... With all the info you have given, it should be a nice easy job. This is my first sled and this forum is awesome.

Thanks again,
Paul

·
Registered
205 Posts
1BadZ said:
Always check the allen head screw that holds the chain tensioner in the case. I have found them loose on a number of ZX machines. Shell synthetic chaincase oil seems to be good. I've used Castrol synthetic gear oil but it always seemed to go "milky", sorta white and thick. I've used transmission fluid, don't see any problem with it. Only a chain and a couple of gears going round. I tried it after I read an article where some fellow said that was all he ever used. Said if you could take a motorhome and head up the highest hill you could find, in 100 degree heat, towing a boat, and it be OK in the transmission, it should be fine in a little ol' chaincase. Made sense!
[snapback]706756[/snapback]​
Has anyone else had a problem with this allen screw? That could be really bad if it came out!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have never bothered with the drain screw, I put some shop towels inder the chain case and pull the cover off

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Dont even touch the drain plug, there isnt one on my sled and it doesnt bother me at all. Taking the cover off allows you to check out everything (as was mentioned earlier) and make adjustments as necessary.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts