Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm changing a voltage regulator on a 600 sdi for a family member and I've never worked on a 600 sdi before. From I found out it's located somewhere in the nun. What do I all need to do to change the voltage regulator?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm looking for the same info too. Why do you think it needs to be changed?

I think I blew mine when I jumpstarted my F570 from the 600 SDI while it was running (pretty stupid and I even thought about it while I was doing it). I still have to do some troubleshooting, but it's likely the regulator or stator.

From the posts I've searched so far, I think you have to remove the exhaust. I can see it sitting below there, but not sure if you need to take something else off. I was also going to look underneath to see if there was a way to get to it from there.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for the help. Pulled the exhaust and saw where it really was.... was in a little different place than I thought. Got it out but now, how to test it?? I'll check the forums for info, but if there's a quick suggestion where to get the info, I'd appreciate it.

However, since I got that off, I tested the stator for resistance. Got continuity through only two of the three connections, the other two combinations are open. Yuck. Nothing shorted to ground though

So, now, how hard is it to pull the stator with the engine still inside? I see 4 of the bolts holding the stator cover on... is that all there are? Once off, I'm assuming I have to pull the flywheel and then find some bolts holding the stator in place. Do I need to remove anything else to get it off? (like the coolant hoses or recovery tank??)

On those bolts holding the regulator... mine were not self threading. They had nuts on the backside. What a pain! Seems like the BRP guys used to design cars! Would be nice if the mounting slots in the regulator went up from the bottom instead of in from both sides... then you could start the bolts and slide the regulator down on them and then tighten them in. NOT looking forward to getting those nuts back in place!

brp_for_life, I might take you up on that regulator offer... PM me some info

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
If you can get the puller for the flywheel in. But you can't so yes the engine will need to be at least unbolted and tipped up. The flywheel is on there good with a keyway and tapered shaft. And don't hold the clutch to keep it from turning. The phase of the crank can be messed up. Same with torquing the flywheel back on. There is a special tool used and its not rope in the top of the head either! There is a notch in the flywheel housing that the tool sit on to keep the crank from turning. Make or borrow the tool.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm changing a voltage regulator on a 600 sdi for a family member and I've never worked on a 600 sdi before. From I found out it's located somewhere in the nun. What do I all need to do to change the voltage regulator?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry about a update, I totally forgot about this topic. Later that day I changed the voltage regulator, all I did was pull the exhaust off and had access to the regulator. It wasn't too bad to do at all. Just a pain to undo and tighten up the bolts&nuts. So far the sled is running great.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you can get the puller for the flywheel in. But you can't so yes the engine will need to be at least unbolted and tipped up. The flywheel is on there good with a keyway and tapered shaft. And don't hold the clutch to keep it from turning. The phase of the crank can be messed up. Same with torquing the flywheel back on. There is a special tool used and its not rope in the top of the head either! There is a notch in the flywheel housing that the tool sit on to keep the crank from turning. Make or borrow the tool.
So I made a tool like you described and got the nut off. I can get my puller in there and have it torqued but it's too late here to smack it with the hammer, so I'll let it sit till tomorrow morning.

Can't see how I could raise the motor much more than 1/2" or so without taking apart the cooling system. If I did that then I probably would just pull the motor. If I get to that, how many engine mount bolts are there? I see two from the mag side, if they are Allen bolts underneath the motor.

Before I got into teardown I did also check the stator for voltage by removing the plugs and spinning the engine. I only got voltage on the pair that showed continutity (makes sense, but a good doublecheck).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well, I got the flywheel out without too much trouble (pretty much ruined my cheap puller in the process), but I can't figure out how to get the stator out!

It appears the wires go through the same hole as the crank sensor and they are tywraped or taped together. There is a connector for the sensor behind the engine but I can't figure out how to get down there to unplug it.

If I pull on the stator, will the grommet pull back and allow the two harnesses to separate?

I've pulled the mount bolts so I could tilt the engine up a little or forward a little and there's still not enough room to get back there. I took off the coolant reservoir too and moved the hoses.

Would have been a lot easier if they had the stator wires come out the front where the regulator was mounted! (the wires would have been shorter too!)

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
The grommet has a split in it once you pull it out you can take it off. You will have to release the locking tabs inside of the connector to release the wires to separate the harness and pull it through the housing. Label the wires and take a picture on where they go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts