Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changing my chaincase oil in my 1997 S-series chasis with reverse. Watched the youtube video first to see what to watch for with the reverse option on my sled. My cover did not come off like the video. The gears came out with the cover and I did not see where the "forks" where when the cover came off. I reassembled with my best guess and there is a horrible squeel when I put in reverse and try to spin the track in reverse. Sled is a 97 MXZ 583.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance

Mike

·
Registered
517 Posts
Is the squeal in the gears (i.e. incorrect assembly) or in the drive belt?

Only when on the throttle or idling?

Remove cover, post pics.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The squeal is in the chaincase. I believe I don’t have the fork in the correct position. I thought it went around the “ring” but after watching a YouTube vid I think it goes behind the gear.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
The fork ears need to fit behind the "ring" on the reverse sprocket when installing the cover. One hand on the cover and one on the linkage so you can manipulate the fork into position.

If you know you have the fork installed properly and the sled operates fine going forward then a small linkage adjustment is likely needed. Just a turn or 2 out of adjustment and she will screech like a banshee when shifted into reverse.

For the future, no need to pop the cover to change oil unless you suspect something is wrong and want to look it all over. A few ounces of Seafoam in the chain case to clean and thin the gear oil; spin the track for a minute on a stand; syphon tube down the dipstick hole; refill.

If you haven't replaced the cover hardware, read up on stripped chain case bolts.

Good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I found my problem.... I am missing the outer washer on the reverse gears. Anyone know where I can get one? I've got a pic from another sled I've got with reverse. I think it must of come off when I split the cases and it fell into the plastic bag I used for collecting the oil. Probably threw it away.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, that's the one I need too. I found them on Al's Snowmobile for $5ea. Ordered a couple of them. Not here yet but we have been in the 70's for temps so no rush. I was thinking about even trying to grind down a washer to fit but haven't got that desparate yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What fluid did you use in your chain case? I have a 99 mxz 670 ho that I just picked up and got to do a major service to and I don't know what to use for fluid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
What fluid did you use in your chain case? I have a 99 mxz 670 ho that I just picked up and got to do a major service to and I don't know what to use for fluid

You can use just about anything. I have ATF in 2 sleds and gear oil in 2. Mystic makes a a good, low cost syn gear oil.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh ok thanks I believe last time I did my chain case in another sled years ago I used atf also

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oil extractors are great for sled chain cases, lawnmowers, etc...takes 2 minutes. Many run ATF, Mobil 1 synthetic 75w90 gear oil is also excellent in chain cases.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I also used the Lucas Synthetic 75w90 gear oil in my 67 Olympique 250. That should keep my chain and sprockets from being destroyed by that uber-powerful 10HP Rotax!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts