Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
replaced the track on 2000 formula 600 and am re-assembling the chain case and can't remember which way the lower sprocket is oriented the service manual says the extended hub faces toward the engine but that doesn't seem right as it is not aligned with the top sprocket......can you tell me which is correct ....the raised hub on the sprocket toward the motor or toward the chaincase cover ???

·
Registered
13,543 Posts
The step on the sprocket needs to be towards the inside or the chain will rub the case. Do you have the spacer installed behind the top sprocket?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have the spacer behind the sprocket. What is the purpose of the raised step? Couldn't they just use a wider spacer? With the step on the inside the sprocket sits further away from the case then the top sprocket .....about 10mm. Also I can see where the spacer was worn a ring on the flat side of the sprocket leading me to believe the step faces outward under the fastener........

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's hard to tell as there is no retaining ring or groove which is odd because the schematic shows one. I had the chain case housing off and the bearing was pressed in.......the sprocket being 10mm away from the case seems excessive

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
It's hard to tell as there is no retaining ring or groove which is odd because the schematic shows one. I had the chain case housing off and the bearing was pressed in.......the sprocket being 10mm away from the case seems excessive
There is definitely some wrong with the way the lower bearing is installed.

The big circlip should be clearly visible and set in a groove in the case.

The bearing also is not pressed into the case.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
replaced the track on 2000 formula 600 and am re-assembling the chain case and can't remember which way the lower sprocket is oriented the service manual says the extended hub faces toward the engine but that doesn't seem right as it is not aligned with the top sprocket......can you tell me which is correct ....the raised hub on the sprocket toward the motor or toward the chaincase cover ???
Is this sled a Formula Deluxe w/ reverse or a Formula MX wo/ reverse? Show us a picture of the sprocket with the extended hub.

Does your chain case look like the one shown in post # 4 ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IMG_1529.JPG IMG_1531.JPG

It is a Formula Z 600 no reverse and it does look like the photo in post 4.

In my photo you can see where the spacer/shim is wearing on the flat side of the sprocket.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
something aint right

did you say you had the inner case unbolted from the tunnel earlier and why?

when you said the bearing is pressed in.. did you mean on the shaft or in the case?

they should not be pressed on the shafts or in the case

was there circlips there before you changed the track

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had to remove the inner case because the bearing would not drop out ....no retaining ring....otherwise the driveshaft did not have enough clearance to enter the tunnel. I talked to the local ski-doo dealer and he said there is no need for a retaining ring as the spacer +sprocket+ fastener holds the bearing in its bore..

·
Registered
13,543 Posts
On the pic of the top bearing it kinda looks like the material that would have been the outer edge of the snap ring groove is broken away from the inner case. I’ve had probably more than 20 of these exact chain cases apart over the years and never seen one without a snap ring retaining the top and bottom bearings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I never had the bearing out as it would not come out. It appeared to me to be pressed in as there was no groove for the snap ring. I agree the prior owner had the chain case apart and might have assembled the sprocket backwards.

stealth bomber....sounds like you've had the most experience maybe YOU can answer my original question....hub on the sprocket inside or out ?

Thanks to all !!!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I wish I could help more but my '97 Mach sleds didn't use a 43 T sprocket On my sleds the hub goes against a spacer and the spacer goes against the bearing's inner race.

Here is a list of sleds which use the sprocket which should be on the OP's sled. If his sled has the OEM sprocket the part number should be on the sprocket and the number would be 504148500 43 Tooth sprocket.

https://www.skidoopartshouse.com/oemparts/partsearch/ski_doo?partsearch=504148500

Is there a possibility someone before the OP has changed the sprocket and it's incorrect? If someone has a sprocket with this part number on it maybe they could answer the question of how far the hub sticks out from the main sprocket casting.

Also, there should be a groove in the opening for the lower bearing where a snap ring would normally go. To the OP, is the groove visible when the driveshaft and bearing are in place? You should clearly see the snap ring groove. The bearing does not press into the housing. It should float freely with the snap ring holding it into place. Like TurboPete I've been into many of these cases, shafts, bearings and seals. The dealer's mechanic is wrong. If Ski Doo didn't want a snap ring in the chain case they wouldn't have put one there.

Here is a picture of the entire chain case: https://www.skidoopartshouse.com/oemparts/a/ski/500c33d3f87002314436eb36/chaincase

This is about the best I can do for now.

Lynn

·
Registered
13,543 Posts
As I said in my first reply, the stepped side of the gear goes towards the inside. If it is put on the other way, the pins in the chain will rub on the inner chain case. The gear and all the spacers appear to be correct. It looks to me like someone has tried to press or drive the bearings out without removing the snap rings and broke what would have been the snap ring groove out of the case. I would be looking for a new inner chain case.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
As I said in my first reply, the stepped side of the gear goes towards the inside. If it is put on the other way, the pins in the chain will rub on the inner chain case. The gear and all the spacers appear to be correct. It looks to me like someone has tried to press or drive the bearings out without removing the snap rings and broke what would have been the snap ring groove out of the case. I would be looking for a new inner chain case.
Hmmm, I wonder. The O P said he thought the bearing was pressed in. I'm wondering if someone used stud and bearing lock (Loctite Product) and that's what is holding the bearing in place trying to make up for the broken case where the snap ring sits.

Lynn

1 - 20 of 25 Posts