Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Was doing some maintenence while waiting for snow, and decided to change the chaincase oil. My manual says use only Bombardier Synthetic blah,blah... I called the delaer he said the same. I called an independent shop and they said to use ATF. I asked why they told me they use it all the time and find fewer deposits on the magnet and better flow when cold etc..which makes sense. Just checking if anyone has ever used it, or if I should go w/ the bombardier stuff which smells alot like gear oil, but its 16.95 / bottle...Yikes.
Also anyone know what size allen screw the drain plug is? (what size allen wrench needed?) Thanks a bunch!!

·
Registered
45,484 Posts
I just use the amsoil chaincase fluid and that seems to do the trick, and it is only 8 bucks a bottle. I used to use ATF in my older machines and that worked also, alot of guys use it!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I use AMSOIL synthetic because the bearings on my 96 Formula SS were oiled by chaincase oil.

·
Out of a job yet? Keep buying your foreign cars an
1,279 Posts
Amsoil 75W-90 Severe Gear Extreme High Pressue Lubricant here. 8.95 a quart. Say bye-bye to metal shavings.

Over 8,300 miles on my sled and I've only had to replace the chain and sprokets once, and I still have plenty of adjustment left in the chain that's on it now.

·
Ride it like your brothers going to fix it
870 Posts
I use Amsoil synthetic chaincase oil. My 02 800 takes 8.5oz. It is made for all weather so it doesn't get stiff in cold weather. I like synthetic products, I use them in most my motors. I own a landscaping company so use a lot of 2 cycle oil and lubercants. Synthetic is the way to go. Less wear on the moving parts. Just my .02.

G

·
synthetic is the way to go.......$ 6.95 once a year. i believe the allen key is 4mm? i heard that some sleds with rer take 12 oz, as opposed to 8.5 oz???? ive always used 8.5 oz and i have rer. my .02

·
Registered
536 Posts
mxz700r said:
i heard that some sleds with rer take 12 oz, as opposed to 8.5 oz???? ive always used 8.5 oz and i have rer. my .02
[snapback]692619[/snapback]​
Just the ones with mechanical reverse. The case is thicker, hence more oil capacity.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I know some guys are skeptical about using ATF as it's designed for an auto tranny, not a chain...but a lot of transfer cases in trucks recommend ATF, including the chain-driven 231 HD in my dodge. Never had a problem using it.

nik

G

·
I tried atf but then switched to 80w90.Didn`t like the fact that ATF was thinner.So I`ll see where 80w90 gets me!

·
Registered
778 Posts
I use ATF and always have. I change gearing between snow and grass, so it's cheap to use it.
No problems, no wear on gears or chain.

Jay

·
Registered
330 Posts
wooza1 said:
Hello all,
Was doing some maintenence while waiting for snow, and decided to change the chaincase oil. My manual says use only Bombardier Synthetic blah,blah... I called the delaer he said the same. I called an independent shop and they said to use ATF. I asked why they told me they use it all the time and find fewer deposits on the magnet and better flow when cold etc..which makes sense. Just checking if anyone has ever used it, or if I should go w/ the bombardier stuff which smells alot like gear oil, but its 16.95 / bottle...Yikes.
Also anyone know what size allen screw the drain plug is? (what size allen wrench needed?) Thanks a bunch!!

[snapback]688256[/snapback]​
I use 10w30 syn eng oil w/no prob!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
THERE WAS A POST ABOUT THIS A MONTH AGO, AND FROM WHAT I READ NEXT TIME IM GONNA USE 10-30 MOBIL ONE. $4 A QUART. THIS IS A AWESOME SITE
ONLY 10 MILES ON SLED THIS YEAR NO SNOW IN SOUTHERN VT.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts