Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Chain snap, chaincase break

1K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  DAN03REV 
#1 ·
Thursday afternoon in the yoop. Riding off trail, hammering down a whooped up logging road. All of a sudden, BOOOM!

Big hole in chaincase, posting in the classifieds, looking for another one. 05 mid release 'Gade 600.

Back up sleds were available, The rest of Thursday I was on a Poo 600 XC, and Friday I was on an 05 Sabercat 600. Thanks for use of the back up sleds guys.
BUT, traditional sitting sleds SUCK!!!
Later, Sxrlar.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sxrlar said:
Thursday afternoon in the yoop. Riding off trail, hammering down a whooped up logging road. All of a sudden, BOOOM!

Big hole in chaincase, posting in the classifieds, looking for another one. 05 mid release 'Gade 600.

Back up sleds were available, The rest of Thursday I was on a Poo 600 XC, and Friday I was on an 05 Sabercat 600. Thanks for use of the back up sleds guys.
Later, Sxrlar.
[snapback]734359[/snapback]​
ouch! that sucks! how many mi on that chain before it went?

#3 ·
x-treme said:
Sxrlar said:

Later, Sxrlar.
ouch! that sucks! how many mi on that chain before it went?
[snapback]734409[/snapback]​
Around 3800, and I'm not very nice to it either.

#7 ·
dooman92 said:
Sxrlar, I have the same sled. About 7,000 miles. I've inspected the chain and all looks good. Did you have lots of stretch or any prior warning? Do you do lots of jumping with on throttle hard landings. I do some and wondering about longevity/advanced warning...
[snapback]734634[/snapback]​
I had a feeling it was going to go. I was actually trying to baby it these two days until I got home. I just couldn't help myslef when I saw those moguls. LOL. Yes, I do a lot of jumping with it. Later, Sxrlar.

#10 ·
The 03 case won't fit.

ZX or 04 and newer cases will.

There is a slipper gear for sale in the 440 classifieds that will help you out when jumping to keep this from happening again.

I posted a thread the other day for everyone to check their dipstick for metal pieces. Alot of Summit guys are snapping chains on their sleds.

#11 ·
my 05 500 SS chain is constantely stretching. Its got 3,000 miles on it and I am still tightening it up after long rides.
The dip stick has NASTY metal shavings on it, but no large chunks at all. After a 150 mile trail ride, there is a ball of metal on the magnet that is rather large. I have changed the fluid 4 times because its so fricken nasty looking. Does this sound like my chain is getting ready to blow? I pulled the cover at 2,000 miles and everything looked fine.

#12 ·
Chuck, I sent you another PM.

Deadman, change it now! When I was riding last week Sunday, it was slipping. When I got home I adjusted it. Thursday before it blew, I tightened it up again, it took like 3 turns to get it tight again. So I knew it was close to going. Chains are like 45 bucks, change it now! Later, Sxrlar.

#13 ·
Deadman said:
my 05 500 SS chain is constantely stretching. Its got 3,000 miles on it and I am still tightening it up after long rides.
The dip stick has NASTY metal shavings on it, but no large chunks at all. After a 150 mile trail ride, there is a ball of metal on the magnet that is rather large. I have changed the fluid 4 times because its so fricken nasty looking. Does this sound like my chain is getting ready to blow? I pulled the cover at 2,000 miles and everything looked fine.
[snapback]735211[/snapback]​
I gaded my ss over the summer and dropped a tooth on top. When i put it back together the chain seamed long, even when stock it seamed to be longer than my zx with the same gear ratio.

I went to the yooper and about 5mi out i notice some ratching. I thought it was the track, but come to find out it was the chain. After tightening it up it was good for the rest of the trip 400mi+.

When I got home I check the dipstick and found alot more than normal sludge(worring about chunks), no chunks but alot of extra shavings .

I changed the oil and it took 3 more turns to snug it back up . I put a 150mi on it yeasterday so ill have to check it agian to see if it stretch agian. My wife has the same sled and same mi's and hers has'nt stertched like mine. I think with the longtrack and 1.5 lug might be putting some extra stress on it .

This summer I think im going to a shorter chain if i can it seams to long The adjuster was halfway tighten up when it was new before the mod. Just seams to have too much of a bend in the chain, Right now the chain makes the bend at the adjuster about 12 o'clock-1 on the bottom gear. I would think the straighter it is there the less resistance from the sharp bend and less friction(wear).

I have 800mi's on this set up, I think all the stretching should be over with by now!
Im starting to have worries hearing of the chains snapping. Is doo going to look the other way like on the carp boot issuses?

#14 ·
Sxrlar said:
Chuck, I sent you another PM.

Deadman, change it now! When I was riding last week Sunday, it was slipping. When I got home I adjusted it. Thursday before it blew, I tightened it up again, it took like 3 turns to get it tight again. So I knew it was close to going. Chains are like 45 bucks, change it now! Later, Sxrlar.
[snapback]735270[/snapback]​
As far as adjusting mine, it only takes a 1/2 turn every 500 miles now, but that still seems wierd that its still stretching.
I just dumped the fluid in the case again last night, so I'll run it a little while longer and se what it looks like.
I'm still under warranty because mine was a hold-over 2005 I bought out of the crate this year.

I just don't want to bust the case and stuff and be down for the tail end of the season!

#15 ·
Sxrlar said:

Later, Sxrlar.
mine just did the exact same thing today.. only 400 miles however.. this was on Trail 5 heading into Fife Lake, MI

hoping the dealer will fix this under warranty anyone think i should have any problems??

#17 ·
I blew my chain and case up 2 weeks ago with only 2000 miles on it.

BTW- We are going to Twin Lakes in 2 weeks

G
#18 ·
Deadman said:
I just replaced my chain and gears with 4500 miles on them. I always checked the tension but after the first 100 miles mine never stretched again. Are some of you guys over tightening them ?

#19 ·
I just turn it until the bolt hits resistance. Then I either insert the clip, or back it off till the clip lines up! Simple enough.

#21 ·
Thanks to DAN03REV for the phone numbers. Got a case and cover coming from Minnesota for $110.
Later, Sxrlar.

#25 ·
thesledhead said:
Not covered under warenty, so does anyone have a inner case, chain and possible gears for sale? I going to tear it apart right now.
[snapback]737603[/snapback]​
just sent ya pm on phone numbers for a case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.