Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
04 500ss with 3200 miles. I was out riding this past weekend when the machine started to vibrate and make a funny noise. Took the chaincase cover off to inspect and see the chain is rubbing on the right side. The bottom gear is angled that way slightly. I also noticed the front idler wheel on the chaincase side is flush with the edge of the track. The opposing side has a 3/4" lip of track before the idler wheel, suggesting the track is out of alignment.

Has anybody else experienced this? Is this bad driveshaft bearings? Appreciate any help!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Take the belt off. Grab the driven clutch and lift and twist, see if it has play. Loosen the chain and remove it. Lift the back of the sled off the ground and rotate the track back and forth. Watch the gear to see if it rotates or wobbles.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
My track spins pretty easy even with the chain connected.
How about using a pry bar and gently applying some persuasion to the drive shaft. Move it back and forth up and down. Shouldn't have any play.

·
Registered
211 Posts
With chain off, and the back of the machine off the ground, the track should turn very easily. Sounds like there is something up with the drive shaft. The drive shaft has bearings either end. One left side, one in the chain case. You can take the secondary off and remove the bearing cap to inspect on the left side.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sounds like you lost a driveshaft bearing. Pop the speedometer pickup cover off and take a look. If that one's bad, I'd replace the one in the chaincase along with the seal as well. Though that one's lubed by the gearcase oil, you might have torqued it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts