Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Greetings Doo'ers,

After consulting the manual, YouTube videos, and doo talk searches I'm at a loss. I have a 2019 Expy Sport with 1400 miles. Decided to change the chain case oil which I'm glad I did as I was told it was done, but didn't look it with the metal shavings and sheen. Bought the ski doo chain oil bottle with 355 mil amount and noted the capacity of the chain case is 350 mil in the manual.

1. I pulled the rubber fill cap off.

2. Drained the oil from the magnetic plug underneath the sled.

3. Opened the indicating hole to let me know when it was full.

4. Poured the whole bottle in between the small gap of the filler cap hole.

No extra oil came out. I did run the track several evolutions just in case. I waited 24 hours with the sled on the garage floor to make sure its level. My indicating hole location is different from my manual, YouTube videos, and pictures I could find. Those holes seem to be lower than mine.

Do I need more oil than what is required? Was the gap area not suppose to be where to pour the oil? I thought about draining it again just to make sure the oil went in but then I would buy another $12 bottle to replace it. But im pretty sure im correct.

First time doing this so I want to make sure its right.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
You will need approximately 1.6 of those bottles before it starts coming oil out of the hole.
Thats what i do, no matter what it says in The manual.

·
Registered
11 Posts
1 bottle is for the RER-models. The 1+2+R takes more, and needs a different oil.
Just for knowledge.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is RER the electric reverse and the 1+2+R the ones with the manual trans gear? I don't have electric reverse or the manual gear, however l should probably pick up another bottle and pour some more in there until it comes out despite the manual. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dont you have mechanical front and reverse? It thought i saw the linkage for it in one of the pics...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, RER=electric reverse. Twostroke engines. (One 355 ml bottle)
1+2+R= widetracks, at least here in sweden. (Cant remember the volume, but i think it is a 70/140 oil.)

600/900 Ace with narrow tracks= front and reverse, mechanical. (Same oil as RER, but about 1.6 355ml bottles)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, I stoped by a dealer near my house today with pictures of what I posted here and explained the situation. He stated that I don't need more oil. The 355 bottle is fine. He also said that the manual covers multiple models (which I get) so it may be different from my sled.

My only thoughts would be that my hole is the same height as the wide tracks that have the gear shift and requires more oil. Since I have the Expedition sport, the chain cover is probably the same as those wide track models which would make the hole higher, but not the same oil amount. So I would never see any oil come out of the hole using the required 350 mil amount stated in the owners manual.

I never thought trying to change the chain oil would be so complicated. Drain oil, fill oil until coming out of hole, UNLESS you have an Expedition Sport 900 ace!

·
Registered
858 Posts
I’ve never filled until it comes out the hole, all I ever do is loosen bolts, drain oil when cover splits and put 350ml in. Literally takes less than 10 mins.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So a quick update, Reaching out to Doo HQ, I was referred to engage with my local Doo dealer. So after speaking to three Ski-Doo dealers in my area on what is the correct amount, below are the results:

Dealer 1. You only need the one bottle (355ml) and you're fine.

Dealer 2. Fill it up until it comes out of the fill hole.

Dealer 3. Took all my info and never got back to me.

I ended up at a Polaris dealer that sold XPS chain case mineral oil. Not realizing it was not Synthetic, I put about 5-6 oz. more until it came out of the hole. I didn't realize there were two different types. I went on the website and here is the the breakdown:

https://xpslubricants.com/us/oils-lubricants/snowmobile?___store=us

Synthetic: Specially developed for high-performance snowmobiles.

Not for use in 2-speed snowmobile transmissions on Expedition, Skandic utility models.

Mineral: Offers excellent lubrication and complete protection for all snowmobiles with a conventional chaincase.

Since I don't have the 2 speed transmission im guessing I should be fine and can use either...or can I?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts