Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
358 Posts
What did the dealer conclude was the cause of the failure? And if the 20's are different what part was updated?

Never heard what caused it, I don't think they really know as it looked like a grenade went off.

No idea if any changes were made. The Doo rep of course said this was the first time they've seen this. I still wonder if it was caused by something they did when they installed my storm track I had them put on????????‍♂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ya, that's not too confidence inspiring. Right after my warranty expired this comes out

· Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Looks like the failures are part user error and part dumb design by ski Doo from what I can gather. The tensioner screw can back out with the pin in the factory groove. The hole solves that problem. The other one never tightened the chain from new. There was a miscommunication. He thought the dealer did it during a service and they hadn't.

· SkiDoo Guru
22,108 Posts
Looks like the failures are part user error and part dumb design by ski Doo from what I can gather. The tensioner screw can back out with the pin in the factory groove. The hole solves that problem. The other one never tightened the chain from new. There was a miscommunication. He thought the dealer did it during a service and they hadn't.
No need to remove clip when adjusting ,i'd also bet some did and put clip in backwards .

· Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
No need to remove clip when adjusting ,i'd also bet some did and put clip in backwards .
My understanding is the most recent one never removed the clip from the screw. Once it skipped teeth it damaged the tensioner. It was game over from there. For what it's worth, I ran my pin through the hole on the tensioner screw to make sure it doesn't loosen.

· Registered
229 Posts
The one I read about is tuned. Ive always wondered if the tunes that increase horsepower put added stress on components like belts, chain cases, and drive train that they weren't designed for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats my opinion , like I've been saying for a while I came off them high powered Yama Cats . The durability of the chain cases just isn't there with the tremen dous amount of torque and horsepower of the four stroke engines . Then we want to stud them up so they get all kinds of traction . There's going to be a weak link somewere and guess where it's at, the chaincase . On my Cat had the chaincase repaired once under warranty , then I thought I would be smart and put a tune in it , then I played hell keeping it together . I finally quite running it in the high horsepower mode and had much better luck keeping it together. You know they have 200 horsepower plus stock , they don't give us specifacation's of the torque but its got to be very high . I'm leaving my 900T stock , it has all the power I need, plus some . I just don't believe you'll see Ski-Doo build them with any more horsepower than they already have , Because they sure don't want to be repairing these machines while there under warranty, their not dummies . Yes they just put a turbo on the 850 mountain machine ,but that looks like it's to keep the horsepower up at the higher elevations.

· Registered
5 Posts
I've got a 2023 g5 and at 605 km I blew my chain case up, just wondering I rode 13 of 15 days and tightened my chain up because of excess chain case play I Tightend it 5 times each time 2to 4 turns and then it blew up dec31 wondering if this might be same issue

· Super Moderator
32,257 Posts
I've got a 2023 g5 and at 605 km I blew my chain case up, just wondering I rode 13 of 15 days and tightened my chain up because of excess chain case play I Tightend it 5 times each time 2to 4 turns and then it blew up dec31 wondering if this might be same issue
Any chance you over tightened it???

I'm just asking because that's a lot of turns.

· Registered
5 Posts
Good question I wiggled the secondary and applied slight pressure on tensioner bolt while wiggling I turned bolt until no movement in secondary then backed it out to aline hole for retainer. I am a heavy duty mechanic so I do know what I'm doing thanks also brp asked same thing

· Registered
5,143 Posts
Good question I wiggled the secondary and applied slight pressure on tensioner bolt while wiggling I turned bolt until no movement in secondary then backed it out to aline hole for retainer. I am a heavy duty mechanic so I do know what I'm doing thanks also brp asked same thing
On a four stroke you will always have play in the secondary. There is a bit of slop built into the top gear. Sounds like you got the chain way too tight.

· Registered
922 Posts

Did you do this procedure on a 900 4 stroke or a 2 stroke model?

· Super Moderator
32,257 Posts
Did you do this procedure on a 900 4 stroke or a 2 stroke model?
Seeing as it's a '23 G5 I'm saying it was a 2 stroke, even though this is the 4 stroke section.

· Premium Member
2023 Renegade XRS 900r
323 Posts
You definatly overtightened it many times. Just turn the adjuster in till it starts getting harder and back off 1 turn. Its that simple. Do not even touch the clip. The adjuster has flat spot on it that clip prevents adjuster from backing out.

· Registered
197 Posts
I spring checked a 2017 850 Summit X and it didn't take long before the Snowest forum had chain cases blowing up on these sleds. I owned it until I Spring checked the 22 Renegade XRS and had no problems because I checked the chain tension before every ride by wiggling the secondary when I checked the belt.
I do the same on the XRS but it is looser because of the mechanical reverse. I change the chain case oil after year one and find very little silver fines. A little maintenance goes a long way to a more enjoyable trouble free ride. :)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts