Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday evening after some lake riding which included a few slush holes my steering froze up on me when I hit the trails. Ended up in the bushes. Flew over the handles bars and into the trees. Banged up a little but no serious injuries. Sled took a bit of a beating I'll try to post some photos. Anyone tried the pre-filter kit, if so does it fix this freeze up problem.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can't get pictures to post any suggestions?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
front view

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
trunk area

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
flyers1972 said:
Saturday evening after some lake riding which included a few slush holes my steering froze up on me when I hit the trails. Ended up in the bushes. Flew over the handles bars and into the trees. Banged up a little but no serious injuries. Sled took a bit of a beating I'll try to post some photos. Anyone tried the pre-filter kit, if so does it fix this freeze up problem.
[snapback]713544[/snapback]​
My steering locked up on me the other day for a couple of seconds. When I came to a stop at a stop sign my steering wheel would not move , then all of a sudden came free again. It has only happen one time. I wasn't ridding in the slush, so I don't think it was frozen. Sounds like another problem to add to the list of th 05 Mach Z. Has any one else experienced this. This could be very dangerous!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
TRACK I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED.
SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME LAST YEAR SNOW DUST GETS
IN BY THE FRONT NOSE CONE AND HOLY sh&% NO STEERING.
NOW I HAVE A PIECE OF FOAM THAT WORKS VERY WELL.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This exact same thing happened to me on Friday. Was playing around with a buddy on the trails near Stillwater NY, with my 05 Mach, luckily we weren't going too fast at the time of the lockup. Trail turned to the left and the steering column wouldn't budge. Ended up totalling sled out into some rocks. I got banged up alittle but nothing serious. The sled is TOTALLED!! looks alot like the one above.
Who do we hold responsible for this one??? I wasn't aware of any previous issue where I'd need a filter. Was there a bulletin on that?

SLEDLESS IN SAUGERTIES

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had the problem a couple of times early last year when powder snow or slush got in through the belly pan vent and froze under the steering rods. I installed the pre-filter kit and no problems again for the next 5,000+ miles. I took them off the 05 and put them on my new 06 and have no problem this year as well.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I posted about this MANY times last yr! I put the prefilter screens on the hood and closed off the front vent with duct tape and NO problems since. snow comes in through the vent and fills the steering boots. feel them I bet they are hard or full of water! I would go to BRP on this. there was NO bulliten but I KNOW that your dealer KNOWS about the issue flyers!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyone got the number for BRP customer service. Dealer said he knew about it and that it actually happened to him once so he suggested the pre-filter kit. Didn't mention anything about the possibility of BRP coming good for the parts though. Hey Fred how do the pre-filters look... can you actually see them through the screens or are they on top of the screens.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
flyers1972 said:
Anyone got the number for BRP customer service. Dealer said he knew about it and that it actually happened to him once so he suggested the pre-filter kit. Didn't mention anything about the possibility of BRP coming good for the parts though. Hey Fred how do the pre-filters look... can you actually see them through the screens or are they on top of the screens.
[snapback]714238[/snapback]​
I forgot about that happening to Devin, it was the same time it happened to me actually. the prefilters go under the hood and are invisible once on. I like them. I have had no problems since. I still have tape on the inside of my front vent though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I did call BRP and opened up a claim, explaining that my sled is now destroyed, and that I'm not the only person that this has happened to. I also stated that they better do something about this before someone gets killed. "Isabele" (the woman I spoke to) gave me a claim number and said she would look into it. Told me to notify dealer, (which i did). I dont know if I can really expect a reply from them but I think if everyone that this has happened to, calls in.... maybe they will do something to stop any further incidents.

·
Registered
236 Posts
my 06 did the same thing last week in Quebec. Below zero -F. No slush, strictly dust. If i could get some [email protected]#%$&*@$ top end out of this thing, i wouldnt be riding in the dust!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SaskRider said:
Hey Trev, how about $100 for the smashed sled. I'll even come pick it up tonight??
[snapback]716292[/snapback]​
Hey Saskrider, not a great offer but maybe an offer to help fix may be accepted.

·
Registered
341 Posts
flyers1972 said:
SaskRider said:
Hey Trev, how about $100 for the smashed sled. I'll even come pick it up tonight??
[snapback]716292[/snapback]​
Hey Saskrider, not a great offer but maybe an offer to help fix may be accepted.

[snapback]717629[/snapback]​
Probably won't be in town till around the ~8th of March I'll let you know. I finally have my sled sitting around ~168hp, and working smooth,and strong. Would like to see how it runs with the big dogs

So hows those flyers?
Archie went on the past weekend to see them play Ottawa.\
Later, Saskrider

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WOW... No backordered parts should be back together by Saturday. Only around $500 for parts.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
freakshow12 said:
are you going to have to pay for it?
[snapback]720749[/snapback]​
For right now... yes i haven't heard anything else back yet. But i didn't want to wait for a decision.... Season is too short.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts