Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This can is off a 2012 etec (supposedly). Its a Straighline Performance carbon fiber...

Any thoughts on what might have caused this?

Doesn't seem like it will be a problem or does it?

Thanks

Gonzo

Attachments

·
Registered
861 Posts
Is there an inside metal sleeve behind the carbon fiber? Metal might have gotten too hot and metaled the carbon fiber cover a little bit...

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe there is. I also did not see any evidence of overheating inside of the exhaust port, but I will take a closer look later.

·
life is short, live long
29,127 Posts
Wot lean. Exhaust gets very hot

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

·
Registered
863 Posts
Spi makes them for Brian. Call Brian nice guy

·
Armchair Interweb Coach
102,597 Posts
I would say..... someone got a can and got a little grabby on the throttle..........:p:p:p:p

·
Registered
861 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Got hot. I burnt up two CF cans on my sportbike riding the highway wide open. First one burnt kind of like that amd cracked in 10 bajillion places, second one fricken was literally roasted. Once i rejetted and made it more rich for highway speeds i didnt burn another one up. If they dont take it back, cut the CF off and rewrap it in stainless or something

·
Registered
571 Posts
CF was never intended for high heat or extreme heat situations like a muffler.

Where it excels is weight and shearing force when pressure is applied horizontally with the fiber.

The only way i see this working if there is a heat shield to cover up the carbon so there is no direct exposure

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bump

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I have run the carbon fiber can for about 3 or 4 seasons in the mtns. Full throttle pinned to the bars for minutes at a time

in long climbs. My engine is a 600 carb big bored to 621 and ported and head work. Likely making very similar HP to the etec.

No problems at all with it.

Do seem to remember something about 600 etec's with stock pipes and cans having extremly hot exhaust, glowing red even. Not all, just occasional one with a problem. That might have been just a few early ones.

Good Luck

·
Registered
11,585 Posts
Hmmmm should have known Tripp was in on this. Hahaha

But CD.....i cant believe it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts