Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to doo this year coming of a cat and I was just wondering with I believe its the pilot 5.9 skis what a good carbide setup would be I mostly run trails a little ditch banging and off trail riding. What should I run for an inside carbide and also outside carbide its getting ninety six studs down the middle. Also do you guys recommend more studs I like an aggressive setup and want a nice tight feel in the turns. thanks guys I love the site still trying to get famillar with all that it has to offer but I think its one of the best resources for riders when it comes to any information they might be seeking

Steve H

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Pretty sure the new aggressive xrs ski doesn't have room for an outside runner. Not like the other 5.7's

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
I would run more studs. Try to get closer to the "1 stud per horsepower" if you are an aggressive rider. 2 studs per row on the 2.86 pitch ski doos is 84 studs, 3 per row is 126.

I would run a minimum of 126, but thats just me. Your sled is around 160 horsepower, so its gonna spin the track pretty nicely.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
The ski's are 5.7R. They are the race pilot skis. They only have a carbide down the center with more aggressive squared edge keels (if that's what they call the outside edges also) for turning bite. Ski-doo will warranty the track if you install their recommended 84 down the middle, using the Woody's 286 phantom studs dealers stock now. I know 84 may be light for the hp, but I believe any more than that they won't warranty the track. I'd burn off the 4 inches that come with the sled, then I'd get the StudBoy Shaper bars that have 7.5 of carbide.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys definetly gonna look into more studs so at least 126. Can you get 144 in there safely

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
You can do a 4-3-4-3 pattern, and that will get you 147 studs. Or a 4-4-4 pattern, that will get you 168 studs.

I don't like to stud the outside, I only run them down the center. It seems to let me still kick the rear end out in the corners if I want to.

Everyone says the double backers hold better, so I'd run all double backers. Either in the 2-4-2-4 pattern with 126 studs, or 4-4-4 pattern with 168. Using fast trac air lite xl double backers, with regular steel lock nuts.

Does the 2012 XRS come with a single or 2 ply ripsaw? If its a 2 ply, then I'd do the 4-3-4-3 pattern, for 147 studs. Cause 168 is a lot of studs lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts