Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there are great aftermarket carbide replacements but I just don't have the money so I just want a stock carbide.

Here is what happened. My original carbides are still good but I noticed that the outer runner on my Pilot 5.7 skis were getting chewed up by the gravel etc. So my plan is to move the stock 4 inch to the outer runner and buy new stock 4 inch for the center.

I called my dealer and gave him the part number, he checked and said he had them. I go in and he walks me over to his display of Woody's Extender III's. I looked at them and said these don't look like mine. He said they are "Stock Replacement", same price. Seeing as they said Woody's I thought, why not.

I went to put them on an noticed that they set up very high. The originals are a 7/16" square host bar and the Extender III's are a 1/2 " round host bar and they do not easily set down in the runner.

I told the dealer, that I am not liking the fit and the possibility that having the ski up that high might change the dynamics vs what I had. In the turns that outer runner will not likely provide any grip since it will be significantly higher off the snow.

I am leaning to go back to the bone stock carbide.

Any opinions/advise?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Unless you're concerned about greater steering effort, I'd run the woodys. I run shapers. They are a larger host bar, protrude below and thus catch more snow, and provide more control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
29,364 Posts
Run'em. That outer bar honestly doesn't do much other than protect the ski anyway.

If anything it will handle better and last longer.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Run'em. That outer bar honestly doesn't do much other than protect the ski anyway.
If anything it will handle better and last longer.
X2. Exactly.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I tried to install the Extender III. IMO, the host bar is too big for the plastic runner.

I called Woody's tech support and he said that it will go. He said just tighten it down going back and forth between the bolts.

He said, "That is our best selling carbide."

I went back to it and one of the nuts started to strip. I'm done trying to make that work.

I ordered the OEM part that I wanted in the first place.

The dealer said that he had no problem taking the Woody's carbide back.

Edit: Turns out I figured out the problem. They used the wrong host bar. They used the Trail Blazer IV host bar which is slightly over a half inch in diameter instead of the Extender Trail III host bar which is supposed to be 0.430 inches.

This explains why I could not get them to work on my skis.

Beware guys.

Edit2: I called Tech support at Woody's. He said they switched to the 1/2 host bar. I told him that I don't think that it works well with the Pilot 5.7 skis. He said take them back to the dealer.

You betcha. What a huge waste of my time.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I tried to install the Extender III. IMO, the host bar is too big for the plastic runner.
I called Woody's tech support and he said that it will go. He said just tighten it down going back and forth between the bolts.
He said, "That is our best selling carbide."

I went back to it and one of the nuts started to strip. I'm done trying to make that work.

I ordered the OEM part that I wanted in the first place.
The dealer said that he had no problem taking the Woody's carbide back.

Edit: Turns out I figured out the problem. They used the wrong host bar. They used the Trail Blazer IV host bar which is slightly over a half inch in diameter instead of the Extender Trail III host bar which is supposed to be 0.430 inches.

This explains why I could not get them to work on my skis.

Beware guys.

Edit2: I called Tech support at Woody's. He said they switched to the 1/2 host bar. I told him that I don't think that it works well with the Pilot 5.7 skis. He said take them back to the dealer.

You betcha. What a huge waste of my time.
Or.... You could've done what the guys you asked for feedback did.....snug them up and run them. I'm thinking giving you feedback was a waste of time, but hey, that's what we're here for, to share our experience, and offer suggestions. Btw, 2600 trouble free miles with my "oversize" shaper host bar carbides. Like them so much I put a pair on the wife's 16' too. They are "proud" and catch more snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
463 Posts
I just took the stock 4 inch carbides off my pilots and put the trail blazer 4's on that are 6 inch carbides. Went right in, direct replacement, work well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts