Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the deal with this thing? Should I turn it on or off based on temps or do you guys just leave it off? Any advantages of it?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would recommend not using it unless it is very cold. The sleds seem not to run as well and you may have trouble starting them up after the sled has been warmed up. Something about boiling the fuel out of the carb. I had mine on last year and had problems often getting my sled started.

·
Registered
209 Posts
You dont actually have to use it. Before my rev I had 2 SRX`s both with mods from Bender racing and they recomended that I not use them. They claim that the cold air will create more h/p as it is more dense.( as a intercooler for a turbocharger cools the air before it enters the engine)
I have ran my sleds for 3 years now & 3 diferent sleds with out using the heaters, havent had any problems.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I didn't use mine last year and rode some -30C days. If you do use them make sure to shut them off if your stop'n for lunch. I was told that if you leave them on they can cause a vapor lock in the carbs and make it real tough to start back up.
Fraz

·
Certifiable Sledhead and Cybertruck Reservation Ho
4,214 Posts
I turn them on when it's cold (-20 C and lower) and/or riding in powder snow. It keeps the slides moving freely. My old S-2000 sleds were nasty for freezing the carbs open. I was always trickling iso down the airbox to keep things from freezing up. Heated carbs are just the ticket

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've always used mine and haven't had any positive or negative impacts, that I am aware of, to report. My thinking if using will provide any sort of protection from burning a piston then I will do so. This has happened on two occasions and gets to be expensive, never mind the inconvenience.

Skidoo has changed their thinking on the use of the carb warmer from what I surmise. The manual for my old 2001 sled said to use when, I believe, the temperature was below -5 Celsius. In the new manual they say to use if temps are between -5 and +5 (could be wrong on the temps - need to confirm), and if one is riding in snow dust. As mentioned in an earlier post, vapour lock is a problem that I have been hearing of as well as from one dealer.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i know that hot fuel isn't good for horsepower. I actually know of people that pack thier fuel in ice before they race. I remember something about better fuel milage or something with them off. I will probably just use them when it gets cold. I never had a problem with my 00 mxz and it didn't have the warmers on them. I take it that on is when the notch on the red knob is in line with the hose and off is when I turn it on the side of the hose?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Seems like most people leave them off all the time. As I understand it their function is to prevent carb icing in high humidity conditions like when running in powder, in snow dust, or temps near freezing. For normal trail riding they aren't necessary, especially in really cold temps when the humidity is low.

I just had my carbs out and found that I didn't have to drain the coolant to disconnect the carb heater lines. So at least they're not as big of a maintenance problem as I'd feared.

Jon
'03 Rev 600 Sport

·
Registered
229 Posts
That's why my sled hasn't been starting well. I was wondering what had changed. As soon as it got cold around here, I turned the valve on. I'm turnin' that bitch OFF...NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
i herd people say that they never use it no matter what temp. it is and never had any problems

·
REV XP Nut
1,248 Posts
Ever hear all them Skidoos backfiring at the gas stations when they shut them off thay have there carb heaters on when not needed whats that do to your crank seals, SD tech says forget what the manual says and tell your people to only use your carb heaters when its below -0 and then only IF there is carb iceing, it boils the gas it doesn't run as good it gets bad gas milage and it can vaper lock the carbs, we had all these problems in the late 80s with tha Yamahas and the fix was to plug them off.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I just got back from a ride tonight and i tried it both ways, on and off. My sled started better with it on, I was riding in about 16'' of powder and the temp was about 20 deg. It ran alittle better too. Dont know if i would use them in warmer weather or no powder but the set up tonight was to turn it on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts