Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hust got this 02 700 MXZ running and its idling at 4000 rpm tried loosing cable no barely any effect. Tried backing out idle screw get so far then then will dies. Its a pain in the "edit for bad language" figuring out other peoples mess, what are the air screws and idle screws set at. I got the cable so it closes fully

·
Registered
40,163 Posts
might be that the carbs need to be cleaned out,when the jets get somewhat plugged the sled will idle high because its starving for fuel so in fact its actually a lean condition you are experiancing..just might be the cause especially if you just
bought it.maybe the guy you got it from never stored it properly

·
My lifestyle determines my deathstyle.
2,124 Posts
If you think the carbs are clean you should check for an air leak. If your sure there is none try to back out the air screws 1/4 turn or so to see if it helps. Most of the air screws that I have seen are backed out between 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 turns + or -. I just picked up a '02 800 that seems to idle high also but haven't had a lot of time to look it over. After doing a search it seems to be a common complaint.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its not my sled, i put it together, seals are new, tried cleaning carbs, adjusting air screws,cable, idle screws. Also after running for a few minutes the temp light comes on?? i dont know if its leaning out or what. Coolant is flowing, took spout where thermostat sits off and started for second fluid flows. It has DPM if that matters. Im running out of ideas here. Any more suggestions would be great. Tried to get a couple other guys to help but soon as you mention flatside carbs there like oh i wont even touch it

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what should screws on side off carbs (air screws)? be at. i have them at about 1 3/4 each. Its the first flatside carbs if worked on. Its weird it runs fine at 4000 rpm if you slowly back out idle screw rpm slowly drops until dies, even if you move it only 1/8" I had it idleing at 2500 once but soon as you touch gas back to 4000

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess it doesnt help that it sat on the bottom of a lake for about 6 months. But had motor all apart new crank bearing seals

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 01 mxz 700 with DPM does the same thing and I cant figure it out either. I just hit the choke for a senond to bring the rpms down. Runs great, carbs are clean, and no leaks to be found.

·
My lifestyle determines my deathstyle.
2,124 Posts
I think 1 3/4 turns out on your mixture screws should be about right. Like I said before it seems very common with these "newer" reed valve motors. Try to back out the idle screw a little at a time, tap the throttle and then let it settle down.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have 01 800 MXZ, and my idle is also best described as erratic. Carbs are clean, no air leaks, reeds are new, and I have to hit the throttle after running it to bring the idle down...just one of those things I guess...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Take it to the shop it sound like you don't have a clue what you are doing , when you start fooling with that air screw and don't know the settings you are asking for trouble.
dobiezeke said:
I have 01 800 MXZ, and my idle is also best described as erratic. Carbs are clean, no air leaks, reeds are new, and I have to hit the throttle after running it to bring the idle down...just one of those things I guess...
[snapback]264683[/snapback]​

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 01 700 MXZ, and my idle is also best described as erratic. Seem to be getting a little worse now that I switched to synthetic oil. All stock. 2400 miles on it. Has been that way from the day i got it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have an idea of what im doing why the hell do you think i fixed it last night. i just never worked on flatsides,wasnt sure the screws on side were still air mixture screws.Besides why the hell sould i know settings when its not my sled and i never took it apart just put motor together, so i obviously know something if i changed crank bearings pistons rings just to mention a few things ya jack "edit for bad language"

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have an idea of what im doing why the hell do you think i fixed it last night. i just never worked on flatsides,wasnt sure the screws on side were still air mixture screws.Besides why the hell sould i know settings when its not my sled and i never took it apart just put motor together, so i obviously know something if i changed crank bearings pistons rings just to mention a few things ya jack "edit for bad language"

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just me ,
Hey I spent some time talking to my guy at Robs Performance and he suggested that I bump my pilot jets up. Seems Doo went a little conservitive ( spelling oops)on the idle circut and this problem is fairly common. I was also educated that the side screws are really fuel screws and not air bleed screws. Hope this helps Snodog

1 - 16 of 16 Posts