Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy gents: easier question I would think for the knowledge you guys seem to have:

How can I identify my carburetor model?
The manual says VM-309 but I know it's not the original. A mechanic put one on that he had in the shop. It's a minuki for sure. But will there be a model number? And if so where can I find it?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Most of these carbs look the same. Taking a carb from one machine and putting it on another can be a dangerous thing if you dont know what you are doing. The bodies of the carbs look identical from the outside. The number is stamped into the carb body. The location of the ID number varies depending on the carb but will look like this:

VM24-Carb-ID-location (1).jpg

Unless the guy who changed the carb replaced all the internal parts with the proper ones, I would not run the sled until you know what is in there. There is a number on your round slide. Another on the jet needle (which is installed in the slide). Another on you needle jet ( the part the needle slides in to). Another on the main jet (the one with the hex head). Another on the pilot jet ( small round one with multiple holes). You must ensure the parts are all correct.

I don't have the specs off hand....maybe someone can chime in and help us out.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Should be a VM34-309.

That looks like a VM24-512 ?

That would be a 10mm difference in size. Does it have a choke? If it does, I would suspect that it is not from a Skidoo. You easily measure the bore and tell the difference between a VM24 and VM34.

Didn't Skidoo make a 250cc twin? Because that would be the only machine the VM24 would be used on. 125cc per cylinder. Seems like one of the Citations or Elans had a twin.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well - I have a problem.

The carb came out this am.
The only marking I can find on it is a "32"
So it does not appear to be the 34mm it should have.

I'm going to try and track down an original 34mm carb and ensure all the internals are as per the VM34-309 specs.

Can anyone confirm this would work?
Let's day I tracked down a VM34-398 and made sure the internals were what they should be (as per 309 specs)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone with a 1989 safari with original carb care to have a peak and tell me what numbers are on their carb?

I'm going to hit a local salvage yard and they have a basement full of old carbs.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Should be a VM34-309.

That looks like a VM24-512 ?

That would be a 10mm difference in size. Does it have a choke? If it does, I would suspect that it is not from a Skidoo. You easily measure the bore and tell the difference between a VM24 and VM34.

Didn't Skidoo make a 250cc twin? Because that would be the only machine the VM24 would be used on. 125cc per cylinder. Seems like one of the Citations or Elans had a twin.
The picture I posted was just something i pulled quickly off Google to show him what the numbers would look like, not the actual carb.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Here are the specs for a VM-309

Main Jet 210

Needle Jet P-6 (159)

Pilot Jet 30

Jet Needle 6DH4-3 (the last number indicated clip position)

Slide Cutaway 3.0

Float Adjustment 22-24mm

Air Screw 1.5 turns

Idle RPM 1800-2000

I got the specs from section 8 of the 1988 service manual. It has all the information on your machine. Here's the link:

http://vintagesnow.com/Ski-Doo_files/1988_SM.pdf

As long as your carb is a 34mm and you have all the internals listed above, the number on the front of the carb doesnt matter. It's whats inside that counts lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts