Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
I was riding the ditch in about 10 degrees, everything was fine untill I started hitting the nice soft drifts up on the side of the hill, then I slowed down sled was idling fast and then I hit the gas to mid-range felt like a bog and sounded very hollow then the throttle started to stick, turned on the carb heat and seem to work. Hey yellowknife how often do you use your carb heaters?

·
Registered
1 Posts
same thing happen to me, I forgot to put in some isoprople so having a polaris before this I would have been in trouble.

·
Registered
463 Posts
xcrev said:
I was riding the ditch in about 10 degrees, everything was fine untill I started hitting the nice soft drifts up on the side of the hill, then I slowed down sled was idling fast and then I hit the gas to mid-range felt like a bog and sounded very hollow then the throttle started to stick, turned on the carb heat and seem to work. Hey yellowknife how often do you use your carb heaters?

[snapback]257955[/snapback]​
In the operator's guide the heated carb valve should be closed except
. when riding between -5'c & 5'c[23'F & 41'F] in a high relative humidity
.when riding in deep powder snow
.when following another snowmobile which makes dust snow

·
Registered
171 Posts
I was riding this morning (20-25 F) and high humidity and a lot of snow dust, never opened up the machine, mostly riding <50 mph. Noticed that it was idling over 3000, when I tapped the throttle it would idle lower but not much. Is this due to carb icing, and would the heaters have helped, or do I have another problem?

·
Registered
193 Posts
brdhoodium, yes, run them only when your in deep powder or a lot of snow dust on a cold day. If left on all the time on warm days you will have tough time starting the engine.

·
Advanced......dat&#39;s how ah roll.
1,950 Posts
Last year I ran the carb heaters on all the time. Never noticed anything funny. Over the summer I messed a few things up on the carbs, I wrecked some o-rings. I couldn't figure it out, so I took it to my dealer. At this point, I decided to run with the carb heaters off. After I got the sled back from the dealers, I noticed that the sled's idle sometimes stays at 3000, and if I blipped the gas a little, sometimes it would go back down. I figured the dealer messed some adjustment up or something. After reading this thread, I'm thinking maybe the carbs are icing some with the heaters off? What do you guys think?

·
Crazy Person
5,615 Posts
xcrev said:
Hey yellowknife how often do you use your carb heaters?

[snapback]257955[/snapback]​
I only turn them on when my engine is bogging from riding in deep powder...which is very rare. I can usually ride, even in powder and snow dust without needing them.

67mustang said:
I was riding this morning (20-25 F) and high humidity and a lot of snow dust, never opened up the machine, mostly riding <50 mph. Noticed that it was idling over 3000, when I tapped the throttle it would idle lower but not much. Is this due to carb icing, and would the heaters have helped, or do I have another problem?
[snapback]258787[/snapback]​
I think it is just the way it idles sometimes...it's normal.

brdhoodlum said:
What is the reason for not just keeping them on all of the time? Is there performance loss?
[snapback]258924[/snapback]​
Guys were saying they've seen fuel evapourate from them being on when there is just too much heat.

mahogany said:
which way does the dial point when they are on?
[snapback]260983[/snapback]​
If the dial is pointed up (90 degrees) then they are off. If it is pointed at 0 degrees or across, they are on.

·
Registered
2020 Renegade 850
2,171 Posts
02summit800 said:
The attached picture I believe is right.
[snapback]261651[/snapback]​
If you look closely it's marked on and off. But yes, up is off.

As for running them on, it's hurts you gas mileage as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts