Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna be riding in northern minnesota. We won't ride if it's below 15, but, wondering if it is -10 or so, should I be using my carb heaters?

I know if you are anticipating snow dust, but, what about frigid temps as well?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Everyone says that you should not use them. Last Saturday I went on a poker run and my sled started hard and idled funny. I took off and my sled wouldn't pull more than 7,000 rpm's. When I got to the first bar a buddy said his was doing the same thing and he turned the carb warmers on and it got better. I rode the entire day with them on and it ran as good or better than it ever has. It was around 5 degrees f and snowing and blowing. A friend has a Yamaha viper and his fuel line or fuel pump froze at every stop. It would start and run for about 2 minutes and then stall. He had to buy a torch and keep hitting the pump area for a minute or two and then it would start and run fine. What a pain it was.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I usually turn mine off if it's warmer than -10C (14F). I've never noticed any difference one way or another....sled runs great. I always lead so snow dust really isn't an issue for me. I also always use some isopropyl whenever I fill up. Haven't had a carb freeze up ever when I was using some iso. Had a few freeze ups many years ago when I didn't always use iso.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I rode last weekend in -20F and didnt have them on. Lots of snow dust too. I always use isopropol in each tank. No issues at all.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I only turn mine on when like you said the sled idles real high when you stop. I turn them on and my sled idles back down to normal and the sled runs great. I only turn them on if I notice a decrease in performance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I turned mine on for the first time and maybe a fluke but the sled bogged out at 7000 rpms. When turned them off it ran to 8000 and everything was ok.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Gentlemen, read your owner's manual....... it is explained that you should use it between -5 and 5 celcius (23F & 44F) and the humidity level is high... or when you're doing powder riding.... or when there is a lot of snow dust in the trail when following another sled.

If you follow that, there should not be any issue... that's what I'm doing and it seems to work out good.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Never used them yet, been out in -27F and ran great. A guy in our group had problems getting his started (fuel line froze) - and he uses his carb heaters.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I have ridden in -10 to -15F and haven't turned them on yet. Tried turning them on once at 0 deg and it ran like crap and was hard to start.

·
Registered
445 Posts
realrick
If you go by the owners manual, they would be on ALL the time.
If it is less than 23 deg F, it is going to be dusty - on
Between 23-41 deg F - on
Warmer than 41 - off...although we would probably be golfing not ridin'

Rode 140 miles today, 5-10 deg F, VERY dusty, air filter was packed with snow, heaters off....No problem. An F7 & XLT 600 said they were freezing up.

I've tried them a few times. They do effect MPG and I would think they must hurt performance. Sleds love COOOOLD air.

My $0.02

·
Registered
251 Posts
The manual for my 02 MXZ says anything below 41 F and they should be on. I normally ride with mine on and after 2,300 miles I have never had a problem with performance, starting, or gas mileage. As a matter of fact, all of the guys I ride with have Cats and they can't believe the mileage I'm getting compared to their gas hogs.

·
RETIRED
11,148 Posts
Skooby-Doo said:
The manual for my 02 MXZ says anything below 41 F and they should be on. I normally ride with mine on and after 2,300 miles I have never had a problem with performance, starting, or gas mileage. As a matter of fact, all of the guys I ride with have Cats and they can't believe the mileage I'm getting compared to their gas hogs.
rev manual is differant
than the 02's

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you want to get sucky gas mileage and have a hard starting sled than you can run them. Hot fuel equals crappy gas mileage. I used mine in Canada last year and no one else did. My mpg was so low it was terrible. I was lucky to get 80 miles to a tank. It also killed my top end. I had an 800 and top speed was maybe 90

·
Registered
138 Posts
Dealer told me to run them when it's under 10F. With this cold weather we're in, I'll be turning mine on tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts