Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to snowmobiling and am pleased to find such an informative sight that I can ask all my "rookie" questions on, so here goes the first of many concerning the 04 REV Summit 800 I recently purchased. What exactly is a carb heater and when should I be running it??

·
REV XP Nut
1,248 Posts
Skidoo tech says forget what the manual says and only use the carb heaters below -0 deg. and then only IF there is carb iceing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Dont use it unless your carbs are icing up as the machine will be hard to start when in use...They are a good option though when you need them..

·
Registered
132 Posts
hmmm. Left mine on all year cause the manual says to up to 40F. And it was always hard to start warm, always able to start but not like I think it should.
Except when I left it on and rode in 45F. Wouldnt start till I shut the heater off.
Guess I'll try running it off for a while and see if it starts easier.
So others have had the same issues?

·
Registered
104 Posts
adrenaline said:
hmmm. Left mine on all year cause the manual says to up to 40F. And it was always hard to start warm, always able to start but not like I think it should.
Except when I left it on and rode in 45F. Wouldnt start till I shut the heater off.
Guess I'll try running it off for a while and see if it starts easier.
So others have had the same issues?
Rotax engines of recent years have all been hard to start when warm - just the way they are. Give it a little gas when you pull it and don't be surprised to have to pull more than once.

·
Registered
681 Posts
If you leave carb heat on it will boil the gas in the carbs & cause a vapor lock that
will make the sled impossible to start until it cools. Happened to me a couple of times until I figured it out. Only use when below 0 deg. & turn off before you start making some hard pulls & getting the motor hot.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Used mine twice, in really cold conditions, and I shouldn't have. Just about impossibe to start. Had to load it on the trailer with 3 guys. That sucks, it's a brand new 2004 sled with less than 200 miles. Big John says don't use it unless your carbs are blocks of ice. I believe him.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As I don't ride in the extreme low temps, I disconnected the hoses on mine. Makes it a ton easier to change main jets and doo float bowl work. I can turn them upside down, so all the fuel doesn't spill out. No more 'pull it 100x' to fill the bowls back up...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Used when cold temperatures and water in gas (unlikely) or drawing in snow dust when following another sled (more likely), but since I have a prefilter sock on air intake I haven't experienced iced carbs. Therefore, since the Doos are really, really hard to start when warm, I would use them as a last resort.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts