Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Stay to the right, in your lane and slow down.
1,526 Posts
Not sure on the part match. Carb boot failure resulting in piston leaning out and fail is a big issue that is avoidable.

I always inspect carb boots carefully and replace them with new every 3-5 years-ish or whenever they show signs of cracking or checking. Please don't put a used carb boot on your sled.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Your sled has the boot connected to the reed cage. We have the spi ones in stock or you could go with Boyesen rad valves.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Another option to consider is repairing them with 3M Window Weld, the stuff is amazing. I have used it to repair many carb boots and the results are always fantastic. Scuff the surface, clean with brake kleen and apply. Have even used it in a pinch to repair boots that had cracks all the way through them. That repair was only meant to get the boots through the season, but three seasons later they are still working perfectly and not cracked.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Another option to consider is repairing them with 3M Window Weld, the stuff is amazing. I have used it to repair many carb boots and the results are always fantastic. Scuff the surface, clean with brake kleen and apply. Have even used it in a pinch to repair boots that had cracks all the way through them. That repair was only meant to get the boots through the season, but three seasons later they are still working perfectly and not cracked.
haha...I thought I was the only one who's done that!...now I don't feel so guilty.

I've done that on old dirt bikes for years, where intake boots are no longer available/discontinued...it really does work good.

Reactions: gpt

·
2nd Whore in command
102,248 Posts
I just went with the cheap Kimpex boots this year on the ZX........cant get Boyesens for my year ZX, if I could I would have. I wasnt going to pay $80 oer boot for the V Force that I have now and I was never going to pay the $150 for the Doo boots!!

Maybe I should have tried that window stuff?

·
Registered
40,163 Posts
personally I would not buy used unless they are mint. carb boots ripping cause expensive melt downs so it is worth getting new. my .02
I just bought ones for mine a week ago... only 239.00 a piece from skidoo.(lol) but like the the other guys are saying its beats a meltdown of your engine

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I did as some others here I just repaired the old ones. Not sure what the engineerings at doo there thinking when they did a one piece adaptor/reed combo. Then throw a rediculous price on replacement ones, seems more like a money grab than anything else.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi I had a ac cougar 6 years ago the boots were cracked cat wanted 64.00 a piece! I went to a hardware store bought some "liquid electric tape put on three coats and its still working I've also used permatex gasket maker with good results. 239.00!!!!!! Imagine all the beer you could buy with that.

·
Registered
40,163 Posts
Hi I had a ac cougar 6 years ago the boots were cracked cat wanted 64.00 a piece! I went to a hardware store bought some "liquid electric tape put on three coats and its still working I've also used permatex gasket maker with good results. 239.00!!!!!! Imagine all the beer you could buy with that.
THATS EACH!!!!! and ya cant afford canadian beer right now,i gotta buy american beer.whoops cant do that either cause our dollar sucks bone.. anyone lend me some money to buy beer??

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought Boyesen Rage Cage's. Best money I ever spent on my sled. Never have to worry about them cracking again. If you plan to keep the sled for say 3+ more years I would go that way.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
I put some spi, boots only, on my 03 zx 500 three years ago and they are still perfect. I think they were like 35 each.

just sayin

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hey mxzexpress i can't loan you any beer money but if you drag you're sled across the bridge to my shop I'll give you a keg for it. You're choice on brand . I won't even ask you to share the beer. Just remember the season is winding down a couple more weeks it might only be worth a case.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts