Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody please steer me in the right direction? My dealer can't find a shop manual for my 2016 Grand Touring REV-XS. They can only locate the supplemental manual (p.n. 219 100 811) which does not include some necessary info including the pulley system which I so desperately need.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OMG! Yes I believe he has what I need! Thank you! Now If I can only purchase a hard copy somehow.

·
boost junkie
10,601 Posts
hard copies are old school
you can use any device to read a pdf
you can always have your manual with you ...even on the trail
IMO the pdf manual is far superior to a book

·
That's probably sarcasm.
2016 1200 Renegade X
21,022 Posts
OMG! Yes I believe he has what I need! Thank you! Now If I can only purchase a hard copy somehow.

I have a copy from the link above and print the necessary pages when working on my sled. I only do this as my hands are often greasy and dirty and I don't want to touch my phone while working on the sled. Then I place those pages in a binder to use again if needed.

Reactions: mike0chek

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found this from user 800_XRS
Please try this link Ski Doo Shop Manuals Bulletins Campaigns | Skidoo
He has placed a bunch of manuals on his site.
So the closest manual I see on that link for my 2016 is for a 2017 1200 4-tec. And the upper gear retaining tool (PN 529 036 110) in that manual is about an 1/8th of an inch too big to fit inside the gear. So I'm lost.

·
boost junkie
10,601 Posts
you do not need to use a gear holder on a 4 stroke
the reverse gear keeps the gear from falling
and as you found out, most dont work

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you do not need to use a gear holder on a 4 stroke
the reverse gear keeps the gear from falling
and as you found out, most dont work
Then why the heck do they tell you you do in the shop manual? And how does the jack shaft come out? I can't find any videos that show removal of my QRS secondary other than the 900 short shaft.

·
boost junkie
10,601 Posts
all the 4 strokes are the same
I use a ski bolt for the tool
take the bolt out of the shaft
then use a ski bolt and tap out the shaft
and it makes putting the gear back on easy
and a LITTLE heat works awesome

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
all the 4 strokes are the same
I use a ski bolt for the tool
take the bolt out of the shaft
then use a ski bolt and tap out the shaft
and it makes putting the gear back on easy
and a LITTLE heat works awesome
Whats a ski bolt? And are you sure they're all the same? Because this person on youtube has I believe a 4 part series on the same clutches and he says the 900 is different. And that does'nt explain why the retaining tool doesn't fit? And thank you so much for helping me here! My dealer seems to be useless and these sleds are really getting in my way

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
A ski bolt is a bolt that holds the ski on. 3/8 drive 6" extension works as well.

The manuals are full of special tools that they tell you to use. I don't own any of them. They are mostly unnecessary. With a little imagination a guy can come up with something that works from his own shop.

What maintenance are you trying to perform and why are you trying to pull the countershaft? And what's your location?

Again, the manual may have you doing something you don't need to do.

·
boost junkie
10,601 Posts
actually the gen4 are much easier than the xr and xs
because they dont have all the junk bolted to the gear case
sure there are small differences
but, to pull qrs is not hard
also if you replace the torx bolts in the helix
to hex bolts you can open the qrs on the sled (or use a special tool)
but working on the qrs on the bench is much easier
you still have not told us what your trying to do!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A ski bolt is a bolt that holds the ski on. 3/8 drive 6" extension works as well.

The manuals are full of special tools that they tell you to use. I don't own any of them. They are mostly unnecessary. With a little imagination a guy can come up with something that works from his own shop.

What maintenance are you trying to perform and why are you trying to pull the countershaft? And what's your location?

Again, the manual may have you doing something you don't need to do.
If I can't trust the manual or dealer, who and what can I trust? Since the sled was new the secondary has been sticking. It just won't return to neutral position. So after 8000 miles I think its time to take apart and repair. So the way I understand it is that the shaft needs to be placed in a vise to properly work on pulley. After that then I need to open chaincase to find out why it won't shift into reverse. I'm in northern Maine.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Poor shifting into reverse could be that your reverse linkage requires adjustment.
As for your clutch that is hanging up.......give all parts a good cleaning and look for worn parts that need to be replaced. I know this is very general information but without seeing your clutch it’s hard to tell where the issue is.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Wonder if there is not a member here in N Maine that can help out.

In the meantime, checkout the 4-Tek FAQ section. All your issues are discussed in detail there. Craze has a great how-to thread on disassembly of the QRS without pulling the counter shaft. But as mentioned above, pulling the QRS with the shaft as the book calls for is pretty easy. Also a number of threads on the notorious reverse fail.

My guess on the QRS sticking is broken rollers. If you have sound mechanical skills it's not a bad job. Otherwise I might take it to a shop. I'd put a new spring in it at the same time. I think skidoochris can get you both High Torque Rollers and a good spring.

As for the reverse, I would guess the mesh gear is grooved and sticks. By now you've possibly burned out a fuse and/or relay as well. Hopefully the actuator isn't smoked.

As for the manuals, it's not so much about trusting or not trusting the manual. It's more about understanding it's content well enough so if need-be you can come up with your own workaround. There's always more than one way to do something. Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Poor shifting into reverse could be that your reverse linkage requires adjustment.
As for your clutch that is hanging up.......give all parts a good cleaning and look for worn parts that need to be replaced. I know this is very general information but without seeing your clutch it’s hard to tell where the issue is.
All of this I already know. Again, how this thing comes apart is the issue. And the problem with my reverse is in the chaincase. This much I know for sure. A good reliable shop manual will go a long way to fixing these problems.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Try this link.
SkiDoo Snowmobile Manuals (brpmanuals.com)

Go down to the 2014's. There is one for your sled in that year. Do not get hung up on it being for a 14 when yours is a 16. The manuals did not change on that platform until they went to the G4 in the GT sleds. I know it is not a paper manual, but at this point, it is a manual. Just print up the pages you need. This is what I have to do for some of my older sleds where the paper manuals are out of print.

I am running into the same problem with getting one for my 21 GT sport ACE. BRP makes getting a shop manual almost imposable. They do not want the consumer to get one anymore. When I had my 89 MX, the shop manual part number was in the back of the owners manual so you could order one.

The dealer searched through the shop manual section in the Dealer Only area and found one they thought covered my sled. It came in and it was not for my GT. Because it said "G4 trail sleds" they said it was the one I needed. I told them it was not the right one. They checked with the regional service rep and they said it was the right one. Well, when I looked through it, it was for 2017 2 stroke trail sleds. No ACE motor sections, No manual gear case section, not even the right rear suspension. They are doing more research.

Yamaha is doing the right thing for manuals. They print one up when you order it. I was still able to get a brand new paper manual for my 96 V Max that I picked up a few years ago.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I like a printed manual as well so I get where you are coming from. Consider getting a digital copy and printing the pages that you regularly use.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Try this link.
SkiDoo Snowmobile Manuals (brpmanuals.com)

Go down to the 2014's. There is one for your sled in that year. Do not get hung up on it being for a 14 when yours is a 16. The manuals did not change on that platform until they went to the G4 in the GT sleds. I know it is not a paper manual, but at this point, it is a manual. Just print up the pages you need. This is what I have to do for some of my older sleds where the paper manuals are out of print.

I am running into the same problem with getting one for my 21 GT sport ACE. BRP makes getting a shop manual almost imposable. They do not want the consumer to get one anymore. When I had my 89 MX, the shop manual part number was in the back of the owners manual so you could order one.

The dealer searched through the shop manual section in the Dealer Only area and found one they thought covered my sled. It came in and it was not for my GT. Because it said "G4 trail sleds" they said it was the one I needed. I told them it was not the right one. They checked with the regional service rep and they said it was the right one. Well, when I looked through it, it was for 2017 2 stroke trail sleds. No ACE motor sections, No manual gear case section, not even the right rear suspension. They are doing more research.

Yamaha is doing the right thing for manuals. They print one up when you order it. I was still able to get a brand new paper manual for my 96 V Max that I picked up a few years ago.
Yeah it sucks that they don't have their **** together, one would think they would. I wouldn't mind so much if the dealer knew better what they were doing but I guess I can blame BRP for that. I have no means of printing but I'll be happy with just the right info at this point. Info I can count on that is. Thank you! I will check link asap. I hope your right because I thought they changed platform or suspension in 15'

1 - 20 of 35 Posts