Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking i want to go back to unstudded and don't want to kick down for a new track. So wondering if you can run the track with 96 hole down the center. I have heard since is started riding that you can't and all the horror storys of one ripped out stud taking a whole track out. But now they are making the mountain tracks with all of those holes cut out of the center to cut down on weight, and that is a much bigger hole than a stud hole. just wondering what peoples opinions are on this. There are zero rips in the track i am thinking about doing this to.

· Registered
558 Posts
I did this and run with the holes in the track for over 1000 km and it was fine. people port there tracks and run them with no problem. I asked the same question awhile back and everyone said it was fine

· Registered
271 Posts
I'm sure you won't have a problem running a formally studded track without studs, but you might have some issues removing some of the them. I would try removing the most damaged studs first. That way half of the studs aren't removed before you decide removing them was a bad idea because you cant get some of them off without cutting them. ( Dont grind them off, heat will damage an area larger that the stud head and weaken that area.
Also, you can't compare an engineered cut out on a track to a ripped or torn stud. Mountain tracks are rienforced with strands that are woven within the rubber. This is not the case with a hole from a torn stud

· Registered
2022 Grand Touring Limited 900 Turbo 130
1,462 Posts
I had spent this past November taking 48 studs out of the 1" track I had with 8,000 miles on it. Other than 3 that were really tight/had the allen head stripped, they all came out easy.

Once loose, I used the cordless drill to zing them out all the way.

· Registered
271 Posts
I had spent this past November taking 48 studs out of the 1" track I had with 8,000 miles on it. Other than 3 that were really tight/had the allen head stripped, they all came out easy.

Once loose, I used the cordless drill to zing them out all the way.
If they all came off pretty easy, why did it take you the entire month of November to remove 48 studs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.