Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a shot of what I found when I pulled my cylinder off. The engine ran lean and melted the top of the piston. The picture shows some aluminum stuck onto the cylinders bore. Can this be honed off or is it junk?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Try first muriatic acid from the harware store.Use Q tip or something like that and spread it over the stuck aluminium part.USE IT IN A VENTILATED AREA,its nocive.After spreading it,wait lets 30-45 min,flush it with water and some aluminium should be gone or easy to remove.After few appilcations done and cleaning,hone it to finish.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HiOctane said:
Try first muriatic acid from the harware store.Use Q tip or something like that and spread it over the stuck aluminium part.USE IT IN A VENTILATED AREA,its nocive.After spreading it,wait lets 30-45 min,flush it with water and some aluminium should be gone or easy to remove.After few appilcations done and cleaning,hone it to finish.
[snapback]683239[/snapback]​
Thanks HiOctane, I'll give it a shot!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
no need to bore a cylinder unless it is gouged or grooved.
all that is is aluminum from the piston on the cylinder wall. a little muratic acid will clean most of it off. then a hone will finnish removing all the aluminum, it will be good as new.

·
Registered
855 Posts
snoeproe said:
no need to bore a cylinder unless it is gouged or grooved.
all that is is aluminum from the piston on the cylinder wall. a little muratic acid will clean most of it off. then a hone will finnish removing all the aluminum, it will be good as new.
[snapback]684901[/snapback]​
thats true it may but you need to get that perfectly clean and smooth or you will just keep destroying pistons over and over again. take it from me i have been there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help guys! Here is the cylinder now. I still have to hone it out, but that muratic acid trick worked well. That's not rust in the picture, just a reflection of the surface the cylinder was sitting on. Thanks again!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.