Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sled is under warranty. I took it to the local dealer to have them look at it since it overheated quite a few times last trip. They bled the coolant system, test drove it and said there's nothing wrong with it. They want to charge me an hour for labor. Can they actually charge me? I thought since its under warranty, and theres an issue, ski-doo should be paying that bill. It's an 800 renegade.

·
hater on all xrs and freeride owners that drive li
2,307 Posts
all depends on if it was an operator error or a mechanical error? ill leave that open for interpretation. plus alot of other little things too. did you buy your machine from said local dealer etc. brp has the final say on warrenty claims. and brp only pays on actual issues. was thermostat stuck and they replaced it now no more overheating, bang warrenty. driving on low snow or icy trails and overheats, the dealer did their due dillagence and checked the cooling system took for test ride could not verify concern due to better riding conditions or adjusted riding style in said low snow conditions, bang customer pays.

·
hater on all xrs and freeride owners that drive li
2,307 Posts
Most times you''ll owe $50
the first year warrenty is normally no pay, but any additional years that falls under BEST brp extended service terms and they have a $50 dollar dedictable

·
Registered
745 Posts
What do you call "overheating"? Not warranty if you are riding on marginal conditions and the temp increases a bit. Warranty pays for defects in material and workmanship. It does not pay to have something checked out and no issue found. The dealer cannot submit a claim if they didn't fix something.

They can absolutely charge you if the issue is not related to the terms in the warranty agreement in your owners manual.

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
You said it overheated .What do you mean by overheat? Did it beep and give you a warning so you then shut it off?
Did it overheat enough to go into limp mode and then you shut it off? Did it get so hot that it shut itself off?

·
Registered
818 Posts
You said it overheated .What do you mean by overheat? Did it beep and give you a warning so you then shut it off?
Did it overheat enough to go into limp mode and then you shut it off? Did it get so hot that it shut itself off?
That was my first thought also, followed by how they "bled the coolant"

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
If it does it again take some pictures or video of your gauge and the trail you were riding on.
That's an 'iffy' call wether they charge you or not. I can see both sides.

·
I started this life with nothing and still have mo
1,930 Posts
Based on your description, I'd be ok paying for an hour of time.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Depends on whether the dealer bled the system right the first time.
good point, anything's possible! I would ask the tech if he had to add coolant? if he did you shouldn't of had to pay, if not you are probably on the hook.

tip; the new scratchers work very well, no contest vs old ones...

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
[quote name="craddock" post="21334809" timestamp="1517949373"]

How do you screw up burping coolant on the xp/xs chassis?[/quote)
Forgot to?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I don't know how the symptom/problem was presented to the dealer, however, there are diagnostic labor ops for a dealer to submit under warranty; a good dealer wouldn't charge a good customer.

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
My wife's new GSX 600 e-tec in 09' was throwing the dreaded "triple trouble" codes which I now forget what they were but three codes would come up in quick succession repeatedly.. I took it to a dealer near where we were vacationing and they were very nice, took it right in and put it on BUDS. 20 min later they called me to the service desk, smiled and told me that BUDS didn't show any problems and then presented me with a $90 bill for the hook up to BUDS. The sled continued to throw those codes after the amazing service from that dealer.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
No! They should not be charging you.....skidoo pays them for their ticket they just need to be sure skidoo aprooves the work. I didnt buy my sled from wallingfords in turner maine yet under 2000 miles i had a front shock blowout and they never blinked at me. Replaced shock and Told me to come pick it up and have a nice day. Last fall winter my heated seat stopped working so before my 2 yr warranty was up i took it up to them and they fixed it....FOR FREE great service!!

·
Registered
469 Posts
No! They should not be charging you.....skidoo pays them for their ticket they just need to be sure skidoo aprooves the work. I didnt buy my sled from wallingfords in turner maine yet under 2000 miles i had a front shock blowout and they never blinked at me. Replaced shock and Told me to come pick it up and have a nice day. Last fall winter my heated seat stopped working so before my 2 yr warranty was up i took it up to them and they fixed it....FOR FREE great service!!
But these are clear failures of factory equipment... those are easy to see as being warranty issues. For overheating, as has been said, if it is operator error by running too hard with too little cooling snow, then it is not a warranty covered issue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts