Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for the last 2 years i rode an xr 1200x gade and really loved it..handled well, pulled hard, and fun to play with off trail. Then at the last of the season i test ride a 10.5 800 e-tec... holy crap is all i can say... i loved it.. so right to the dealer i go and order an 800 e-tec xrs. That being said..Although we dont get piles of snow i really enjoyed playing off trail, hitting drifts and playing in the powder whenever we could find it. I also really enjoy lining up on the lake or hard pack trails whenever we get the chance so what im wondering is...would it be possible to change the track to a 1.75inch ripsaw to play in the powder and in the hills and stud the hell out of it with super long studs with maybe 3/8 penetration so i can line it up on the hard pack and not loose...lol. So am i asking for too much..lol

·
XPert ss builder
7,272 Posts
2+ inch studs are really hard on a track... U could settle for a 1.5in track and put 1.75 studs in it....

·
Registered
862 Posts
personally i think trying to stud a 1.75 is too much. But i can tell you from first had experience the 1.75 hooks up awesome.
If you put a 1.75 track on, a taller riser (depending on your hieght) and dumped the sway bar, crank up the prelaod on the shocks a bit, let the limiter strap all the way out you would have a awesome do it all sled. my 07 rev 800 was set up exactly the same way and was one of the funnest sled i owned. the only time my buddies could be me was on a icy road, I could rock off trail and do circles around gades with a 1.25 track, and wheelie till the cows came home. such a fun sled!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really want to go with the 1.75 in track. Sounds like this set up would be a lot of fun but i may have to look at some studs for the icy conditions we frequently get around here. Im thinking about trying the snow studs 1.875 made for the 1.75 single ply track but im just not sure how this set up will hook up on hard pack trails or roads. What do ya's think

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I really want to go with the 1.75 in track. Sounds like this set up would be a lot of fun but i may have to look at some studs for the icy conditions we frequently get around here. Im thinking about trying the snow studs 1.875 made for the 1.75 single ply track but im just not sure how this set up will hook up on hard pack trails or roads. What do ya's think
It will be a beast. You probably won't ever go back to a 1.25 track due to how much it spins once you ride the 1.75 and see how it hooks up. The torque is amazing on these sleds once you get them to hook up.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will be a beast. You probably won't ever go back to a 1.25 track due to how much it spins once you ride the 1.75 and see how it hooks up. The torque is amazing on these sleds once you get them to hook up.
So do you think it will still hook on the hard pack if i put the 1.875 studs in the 1.75 track. God im getting pumped for snow...I cant wait to see this new XRS...its gonna be a beast!!!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
If your riding on mostly hard pack and icy trails im not really sure your going to benefit or need a 1.75 track. For the money spent on that track you could buy studs/ clutch kit, or pipes, and it will run better on hard packed/ice than it would with a 1.75 in those conditions. This is just my opinion, i might be misunderstanding your riding conditions though.

·
Registered
294 Posts
So do you think it will still hook on the hard pack if i put the 1.875 studs in the 1.75 track. God im getting pumped for snow...I cant wait to see this new XRS...its gonna be a beast!!!
I personally think it's a bit over kill.....with a 1.75 you are gonna have killer hook up on trail and off trail!!!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
So for the last 2 years i rode an xr 1200x gade and really loved it..handled well, pulled hard, and fun to play with off trail. Then at the last of the season i test ride a 10.5 800 e-tec... holy crap is all i can say... i loved it.. so right to the dealer i go and order an 800 e-tec xrs. That being said..Although we dont get piles of snow i really enjoyed playing off trail, hitting drifts and playing in the powder whenever we could find it. I also really enjoy lining up on the lake or hard pack trails whenever we get the chance so what im wondering is...would it be possible to change the track to a 1.75inch ripsaw to play in the powder and in the hills and stud the hell out of it with super long studs with maybe 3/8 penetration so i can line it up on the hard pack and not loose...lol. So am i asking for too much..lol
Me personally when I line up with someone I would rather do it off trail!!! Thats where the real test is at!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Me personally when I line up with someone I would rather do it off trail!!! Thats where the real test is at!!!
I guss coming off a gade, the 1.75 track is gonna cover going to a 121in track when im off trail but when im on hard pack and icy trail conditions or roads and gonna line em up im still looking for some hook up....maybe im asking for too much. Just hoping someone has experienced this situation!

·
Registered
862 Posts
being a 99% offtrail rider I have never had a sled with studs. so take this with a grain of salt. I am sensing a trashed track and holes in the exchanger from ripped out studs. The only time I am at a loss with a 1.75 vs studs is when it is ice. I would try the 1.75 alone first then if you feel you need more or dont like it then consider the studs. I know there are people that stud 1.75 tracks all the time so hopefully one iwll chime in here for you...but i am forseeing more problems than its worth.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
being a 99% offtrail rider I have never had a sled with studs. so take this with a grain of salt. I am sensing a trashed track and holes in the exchanger from ripped out studs. The only time I am at a loss with a 1.75 vs studs is when it is ice. I would try the 1.75 alone first then if you feel you need more or dont like it then consider the studs. I know there are people that stud 1.75 tracks all the time so hopefully one iwll chime in here for you...but i am forseeing more problems than its worth.
So is anyone currently using this setup with a 121 inch, 1.75 track and studded with atleast 1/4 inch penatration. I really appreciate the comments and suggestions but would love to hear from someone who has ran this setup before. Thanks!

·
Registered
815 Posts
In my opinion, studs end up hurting you off the trail. They don't allow the paddles to dig and hook up with the powder. They turn the snow under your track to mush so quickly. They certainly help on the trails...but off trail, they put you backwards. It is really hard to "have it all" as you have suggested. I wrestle with this same problem. But in the end, I would rather have more fun off the trail and give up some on trail performance for it. Even though I do ride a lot of trails still...I really don't have much fun trying to be the fastest in the corners. My fun comes from leaving the trail and heading down a powder covered logging road!

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I think this set up is pretty sick and yes it gets you closer to the best of both worlds.
Fact is, for off trail powder riding you need a 1.75 or bigger lug. The other fact is that for aggressive trail riding you need studs. I don?t care who wants to debate it, but here in Maine take 2 similar riders and the guy with the studs is going to be faster on the trails. The sled sticks and doesn?t roll out on snow blown corners, etc. The studs in the 1.75 also assist in chomping up the snow and helping with cooling and sliders.

For those that are concerned about studs in the bigger lug tracks, look no further than racers you abuse the hell out of their sleds in marginal conditions with this set up. Done right, a studded big lug track is a great tool. I think the sacrifice you make for powder riding is the weight. I can?t believe in powder that a couple nails in the snow ahead of a lug is going to slow you down. For the trail you sacrifice speed with a 1.75. You can?t have it all, but this is a good compromise.

I have ridden 1.25 studded for years and they are an awesome trail track, but you get severely limited with your off trail adventures. Last year I put on a 1.75 on my gade and it was amazing in most conditions except aggressive trail riding where you encounter hard pack and ice. My buddy had a studded 1.75 and it really stuck to the trails. I have studs on my workbench getting ready for an install as we speak. Can?t wait.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think this set up is pretty sick and yes it gets you closer to the best of both worlds.
Fact is, for off trail powder riding you need a 1.75 or bigger lug. The other fact is that for aggressive trail riding you need studs. I don?t care who wants to debate it, but here in Maine take 2 similar riders and the guy with the studs is going to be faster on the trails. The sled sticks and doesn?t roll out on snow blown corners, etc. The studs in the 1.75 also assist in chomping up the snow and helping with cooling and sliders.

For those that are concerned about studs in the bigger lug tracks, look no further than racers you abuse the hell out of their sleds in marginal conditions with this set up. Done right, a studded big lug track is a great tool. I think the sacrifice you make for powder riding is the weight. I can?t believe in powder that a couple nails in the snow ahead of a lug is going to slow you down. For the trail you sacrifice speed with a 1.75. You can?t have it all, but this is a good compromise.

I have ridden 1.25 studded for years and they are an awesome trail track, but you get severely limited with your off trail adventures. Last year I put on a 1.75 on my gade and it was amazing in most conditions except aggressive trail riding where you encounter hard pack and ice. My buddy had a studded 1.75 and it really stuck to the trails. I have studs on my workbench getting ready for an install as we speak. Can?t wait.
Is there anyone else running this set up or something close. Not studding the track is not an option due to the conditions in the east coast....thanks!

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Is there anyone else running this set up or something close. Not studding the track is not an option due to the conditions in the east coast....thanks!
Search the archives for 1.75 challanger. Dix on here runs one, as well as TrueBlue. Both ride hard as a banshee.

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
Maybe a 1.5" track and stretching the sled out to 137" would be a better choice. Your tracks would probably last longer, and probably go through more snow too.

Only downside...would probably be less huge wheelies, cause the sled is longer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts