Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Super Moderator
17,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 outlander max xt 850. I have had it for just under two years. Out of the blue it won’t stay running first start of the day. It cranks first time, fires and dies, cranks second time, fires, runs for like 30s fine and then dies, cranks third time and wants to die but I can keep it running with the throttle from there. After that it’s good for the day.

The odd part is it’s in my heated garage. It’s here most of the year, but spends July-October at my camp in an outdoor shed/garage. When it was in the shed, it fired up no problem, one time even after sitting for weeks and it was in the 20’s out. It’s sits there unused much more than at home.

Things I’ve tried.. new gas 91 non ethanol. I charged the battery when I brought it home in November, charged it again last week. Being a Brp product I know to do the fuel pump prime with the start button first. If I don’t prime it, it won’t even fire. The whole time I have owned it, it was fine till now. It was hit starter once and go. Now it’s five mins of getting it going.

It’s got only 250ish miles on it. I use it at least two-three times a week to plow my driveway which takes about an hour so it doesn’t sit. It is under warranty still, but it snows here alot and I use it to plow. So im hoping to not have to take in for service until spring. The funny thing or not funny thing is I got rid of a Yamaha 700 because for this Atv because the yamaha started wicked hard and ran horrible in cold weather lol! Anyone have this Atv similar problems?

· Registered
336 Posts
I don't know if I can help with your particular machine, but around 10 years ago I worked for a BRP dealership and was running into similar issues with the Outlanders of the day. In some cases it was a battery that was borderline - they cranked over fine but didn't fire up like normal. One time I talked with technical support at HQ in Quebec & they blamed it on the fuel used - marked gas that was rated at 91. It was recommended to go back to regular 87, no need for high octane on these quads. Not sure what the deal with fuel & ethanol is like today but it's worth a shot. Seemed to help in some cases if I recall.

· Super Moderator
17,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the help! Now that you mention the gas, I only use 91 in the quad. Around here, all gas has ethanol mixture except the 91 octane is non ethanol. So I put 91 non ethanol in all my stuff.

I am off today and we have multiple small storms coming this week so I think I will syphon what I can out and go get 87 and see how she goes this week. While I’m at it, I may as well take the battery right out and charge it on the stand instead of in the quad.

· Super Moderator
32,238 Posts
With the 91 have you ever used isopropyl? Summer humidity causes just as many moisture problems as winter snow.

With 87 corn gas you don't need (or want) to use isopropyl.

I only run 87 in my wheeler. We took it to camp last weekend, it hadn't run in months (like 5-6 months maybe?), it fired first push of the button and never skipped a beat.

· Super Moderator
17,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the 91 have you ever used isopropyl? Summer humidity causes just as many moisture problems as winter snow.

With 87 corn gas you don't need (or want) to use isopropyl.

I only run 87 in my wheeler. We took it to camp last weekend, it hadn't run in months (like 5-6 months maybe?), it fired first push of the button and never skipped a beat.
No, I have never used iso in the wheeler. The problem only seems to be where it is right now which I t’s in a climate controlled garage set to 55-60.

· Super Moderator
17,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Different machine, but two of my Sportsman’s did this same thing a few months ago. I found the intake valves to be too tight on both machines.
It’s due for its service soon, so I plan to bring it up to the dealer. I feel like somethings off. You can just tell by the way it fires that it’s not getting itself going until it’s running for a bit.

· Super Moderator
32,238 Posts
No, I have never used iso in the wheeler. The problem only seems to be where it is right now which I t’s in a climate controlled garage set to 55-60.
Give it a shot, can't hurt.

Other than that, fuel filter? Fuel pump? Who knows.

· Super Moderator
17,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had a member in another forum suggest the crank position sensor. I’ll be honest the way it runs it does act like that’s a possibility.

Got an active snow week ahead so should be starting it a lot this week. The two easiest suggestions I am doing first. I charged the battery today and got 87 oct. In a can ready to go. I just need to run down the 91 in the tank first.

· Registered
774 Posts
I'd suggest pumping some fuel into a clean clear container and checking for water contamination.
Fuel filters?
Then fuel pump
Then injectors

But since its under warranty, have them check it and confirm

BTW I run 91 in sleds and my 650 can ams and have so for years without any issue.

Snow Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel

· Super Moderator
17,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found out today that 2022/23’s now automatically take the Atv out of sport mode once shut off. So when you start it, it’s in standard mode.

Got thinking about this a bit. I’m wondering if a simple mode change might allow it to fire differently. I’m out of town for a few days but plan to try it when I get home. Just one more easy thing to try.

· Registered
1,289 Posts
I have a 2021 outlander max xt 850. I have had it for just under two years. Out of the blue it won’t stay running first start of the day. It cranks first time, fires and dies, cranks second time, fires, runs for like 30s fine and then dies, cranks third time and wants to die but I can keep it running with the throttle from there. After that it’s good for the day.

The odd part is it’s in my heated garage. It’s here most of the year, but spends July-October at my camp in an outdoor shed/garage. When it was in the shed, it fired up no problem, one time even after sitting for weeks and it was in the 20’s out. It’s sits there unused much more than at home.

Things I’ve tried.. new gas 91 non ethanol. I charged the battery when I brought it home in November, charged it again last week. Being a Brp product I know to do the fuel pump prime with the start button first. If I don’t prime it, it won’t even fire. The whole time I have owned it, it was fine till now. It was hit starter once and go. Now it’s five mins of getting it going.

It’s got only 250ish miles on it. I use it at least two-three times a week to plow my driveway which takes about an hour so it doesn’t sit. It is under warranty still, but it snows here alot and I use it to plow. So im hoping to not have to take in for service until spring. The funny thing or not funny thing is I got rid of a Yamaha 700 because for this Atv because the yamaha started wicked hard and ran horrible in cold weather lol! Anyone have this Atv similar problems?
Don't run premium fuel in it.
Not sure if the fuel is different to what we get way up north, but we have had several Outlanders and Defenders come in with cold start issues and the problem was resolved by running 87 vs 90 or 91.

· Super Moderator
17,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't run premium fuel in it.
Not sure if the fuel is different to what we get way up north, but we have had several Outlanders and Defenders come in with cold start issues and the problem was resolved by running 87 vs 90 or 91.
Thank you for the help! I have in fact just switched it to 87, but haven’t had a first cold start on 87 yet.

It finally nearly ran out of gas during plowing the other night, so I filled it with the 87. But it was already warmed up from plowing for an hour. Btw I didn’t notice any running differences although it felt (on my legs) to be running alittle cooler after putting 87 in it.

Just a side note.. I did test the mode theory while it still had 91 in it. When I started it to pull it out that night, I lit up the dash, then took it out of sport mode, and then I fired it up. It started right up with no issues for the first time all winter. So there may be something to my previous post with the mode it’s in having to do with it.

Next cold start will be with 87 and in sport mode again. Will see what happens.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts