Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I'll see him today and ask. It has a big aftermarket blower, vents etc. and itll pop a belt usually 2-3 times a year. PITA to change as well, have to remove driver seat and floor/associated panels.
Never tore one up on my 17' Commander but did change it out.... a HUGH PITA! 1/2 the machine had to be taken apart and those dopey plastic push in pop rivet fasteners>>>>> the Defender is a dream to wrench on compared to them.
His machine is a 2015. Have to remove the driver seat and a bunch of other panels. He drives it like he stole it though.

·
Super Moderator
29,433 Posts
Heres one I've never heard of - talked to a guy today who is waiting for his to come it. It looks pretty sweet on paper;

https://intimidatorutv.com/

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Heres one I've never heard of - talked to a guy today who is waiting for his to come it. It looks pretty sweet on paper;

https://intimidatorutv.com/
A hardware/tractor dealership an hour south of me sells them. Extremely well built, probably the most sturdy sxs ive ever seen. Made in usa kohler engines etc. Only drawback is theyre not very fast. Usually 30-35mph.

My cheapest of the cheap ranger mid size 500 goes 40/45mph. Thats the bare minimum benchmark for me.

·
Super Moderator
29,433 Posts
A hardware/tractor dealership an hour south of me sells them. Extremely well built, probably the most sturdy sxs ive ever seen. Made in usa kohler engines etc. Only drawback is theyre not very fast. Usually 30-35mph.

My cheapest of the cheap ranger mid size 500 goes 40/45mph. Thats the bare minimum benchmark for me.
Their new model has an 83hp made in Taiwan engine and they say it'll do 65mph. The parent company of the power plant is Vespa so it should be good.

https://intimidatorutv.com/gc1k-series/

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Their new model has an 83hp made in Taiwan engine and they say it'll do 65mph. The parent company of the power plant is Vespa so it should be good.

https://intimidatorutv.com/gc1k-series/
IDK if that engine was available when I last looked at one. 63 is still a fair amount slower than some but competitive at least.

I always chuckle at 1000cc v-twins that make below 100hp. My 2003 suzuki's 1000v-twin makes 110-115hp and 80ish ft. lbs. I completely understand its the application and duty cycle, it just makes me laugh.

·
Super Moderator
29,433 Posts
Agreed on the application. My last Defender was the 800, it was only 50hp but "tuned for torque" - it worked well.

The new one is a 1000, 82hp. It works better. :lol:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Agreed on the application. My last Defender was the 800, it was only 50hp but "tuned for torque" - it worked well.

The new one is a 1000, 82hp. It works better. :lol:
Is the "1000" thats in the defender the same "1000" thats in my x3 rr? The variation in hp from just the maverick turbo line is funny, 120,172, 195. Just wondering what all other hp variations there are for this engine.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Is the "1000" thats in the defender the same "1000" thats in my x3 rr? The variation in hp from just the maverick turbo line is funny, 120,172, 195. Just wondering what all other hp variations there are for this engine.
The engines available in your maverick are 900cc inline 3 cyl. turbo engines (also available in sleds). The defender and older maverick 1000cc is a naturally aspirated v twin.

·
Super Moderator
29,433 Posts
^^^ That. :righton

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Ahhh, yea i duno what i was thinking. I was assuming it was the same 976cc “1000” that came in the rest of the can am sxs’s, only turbo’ed... haha!! This is my first ever sxs, and been learning all kinds of stuff about it, and sxs’s in general.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Put another 70 miles on her today. Every time i get behind the wheel i am more and more impressed. The power is sooo awesome and the suspension soaks up bumps better than i could have imagined. I still havnt had time to get all my parts installed yet, but did get the windshield and roof on. I want to get some new tires for it also. Its not going to be a mud only machine and them meats are a little much for everywhere else.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,433 Posts
Pretty awesome, isn't it. The suspension engineers at BRP, in every division, have a lot to be proud of.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Update! Soo, i still LOVE this machine! It is crazy what this thing is capable of and the power is just nuts! Still cant believe i waited this long to get in the sxs game. Only issue i have had so far is my winch doesnt work, but i havnt had time to diagnose it yet.. i can hear the relay clicking but no power getting to the winch. I will get into this issue when i get time to tear into it to also install the parts i have piling up.

I found out the winch didnt work when i got the machine hi centered on a big ol pile of ice/snow i couldnt resist mashing over. Haha! Thats the only time it has even been close to being stuck. The mud this thing can trudge thru is impressive, and when ya mash on the gas in the mud it will throw mud 50-60ft in the air. Gnarly roostertails! I am a fan, TWO THUMBS UP!

·
Super Moderator
29,433 Posts
Nice! A few weeks ago we ran into a guy on the trail that had a Mavrick X3 XRS with the Turbo RR - what an impressive piece. He obviously loved his too.

On the winch, the one on my current Defender did exactly the same as yours. Mine had been working so I knew it had to be something simple. It was, just a lose cable at the winch itself, tightened it up and its been fine ever since.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Finally got my new aluminum doors installed. Love em! Also got my rear windshield installed and a dual battery setup. Slowly getting some of this pile of parts i have been stock piling installed.. haha! Every time i get enough free time to wrench on it, i end up just going to ride. This is the hell that comes with being able to ride from your house. Hahaha!! Still have light bars, lighted mirrors, and a rear hitch/removable rear winch set up to get installed. Anyone have any experience with the new warn axon winches? I picked up a axon 45s to run on the rear with a quick release setup.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Stealth mode!! Love these rigid bars!! Its getting dark earlier and earlier, winter be coming!!

·
Super Moderator
29,433 Posts
Nice!

I've been using my Defender waaay more than my trucks lately - both work and play.

If the budget allowed it there would be a Maverick in the garage too.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts