Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Can Am Defender

69K views 420 replies 36 participants last post by  beerwolf 
#1 ·
Check out what I got to try out this week!

85e0a5c02e7610926241dac4214f0025.jpg

2019 Defender HD10 XT with windshield. My dealer let me demo it. Nice machine. My comparison is a 2013 John Deere Gator 825i S4 that we got new. Pluses and minuses. It's not WOW vs the Gator but very nice nonetheless. It looks amazing the seats are comfortable and has good power and speed. The ride at speed is good and the power steering is spot on but so is the Gator. On the downside it is not as smooth at low speed not as easy to get in and out of and the bed is not as heavy duty. Are these show stoppers? Not at all. The Can Am is very nice and I will definitely consider it when I replace the Gator. Just not tomorrow. The Gator is a beast definitely a John Deere. Very utilitarian and tough as nails. Would probably plow a field if you needed it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#54 · (Edited by Moderator)
One complaint I have with the Defender Cab is how noisy the cab is. Apparently I was not the only one. I am curious to see how much this quiets them down.

Quiet companion

Newly refined, Defender has more insulation, a thicker firewall, new exhaust and CVT cover. You just have to drive it-but watching it work will do for now.

#55 ·
Sorry not a defender but..................I thought the same on my new ranger, i was getting too much noise and dust with a full cab enclosure. I looked into it...and there is a extra premium insulation kit that comes on the north star. I built mine at the dealer to keep the cost under 20k by adding all the upgrades, better glass, tilt...heater, insulated headliner and doors..ect.............. Dealer didnt make me aware of the kit...so for 150 beans i got it....world of difference That and goin to a street radial which really made a noise difference riding in the summer. Both of these quieted it down a bunch.

#56 ·
Liking my Defender XMR more and more for trail work. The extra clearance is great for getting over logs and big rocks. Seems like to motor is starting to loosen up, great grunt power for pulling and super steep climbing. The wiper was icing on the cake yesterday in VT, heavy rain . A wee bit thirsty though, but fun must cost!

Attachments

#57 ·
The DEF Xmr is the number one selling BRP SXS @ our dealership. Really great rig!

The new DEF CAB is much quieter! They advertised 30% noise reduction in the CAB. I cant say if it actually 30% but it is noticeably quieter and the upgraded/updated insulation kit/ cab fitment should help with the dust intrusion issues as well!

Very happy to be a BRP dealer with all the tremendous SXS options!

#63 · (Edited by Moderator)
:righton

I had mine over to camp this morning getting ready for opening muzzle season.

My wife is out of town this weekend, it might be making a run to Carson's (local pub) tonight too. :cheers

#65 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sure has been a good year for apples. Lot of acorns too. Might be a good winter.

We did a new food plot at camp, they're hammering it, lots of activity.

It was a bit chilly when I went out last night so I debated taking the truck - decided to take the Defender anyways. I was good until a group of friends showed up. Sure glad I drive home through the fields. :)

#66 ·
With the days getting shorter and the use of the Defender not slowing down any, I broke down and ordered an LED light bar for it. Nothing too big - 12", 168W, Combo Beam. It's supposed to be here on Friday - we'll see, it's been stuck at a FedEx "Smartpost" for 2 days now.

#68 ·
If you ride through heavy brush, occasionally hit branches like I do........buy a second one. Don't ask.
:lol:

That's part of why I've held off. I know a roof mounted one wouldn't last one ride.

As it is I didn't buy an expensive one (Ebay), I'll see how it goes.

#69 ·
The LED showed up a day early so a little garage project last night.

I didn't take it out to see how well it worked but it sure lit up the garage a lot better than the standard headlights. It's rated at 16,800LM, so decent.

eoUwWG5.jpg

#71 · (Edited by Moderator)
It came with a push button, I used an OEM style instead.

I bought this light;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12inch-168W-CREE-LED-Work-Light-Bar-Flood-Spot-Offroad-SUV-ATV-Wiring-UTE-4WD-14/122797995099?hash=item1c9754b45b:g:~-kAAOSwQGVdUojX

and this switch;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-LIGHT-BAR-SWITCH-AMBER-ORANGE-LIGHT-CAN-AM-MAVERICK-X3-COMMANDER-DEFENDER/113323149174?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

for a total of $38.75 delivered.

Considering the 10" LED from BRP has 5,400 lumens and is $299.99, this setup looks like a deal.