Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
281 - 300 of 311 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,355 Posts
Man you really like to rub it in dont cha! lol :rolleyes: :D
What I didn't say was there was a John Deere Gator and a newer ('19 or '20) Ranger also on the trip.

100% true story; the Gator limped home with something in the drive line not smelling too good. It was an older utility type one and he was pushing it a bit so it may have just been hot.

The Ranger quit in our driveway on the way home. The owner did get it running long enough to get it back to his place where it died in his driveway before they could put away. Apparently that one has a recall on the TPS and he did say it was acting up some during the day so who knows. Maybe thats an on going issue and whats messed up with yours too?

I'm not busting on any of them - they're all great when they work, they're all junk when they don't. It's just on this trip on this day the Deere & Poo didn't do so well.

There was also a Poo wheeler on the trip, he had a battery issue early in the day, he got it charged up and it worked well the rest of the day. Obviously that can happen to ANY of them.

And in the case of full disclosure, there was also a brand new Can Am wheeler that needed the transmission linkage adjusted.

pics or it didnt happen.

steve
I think my wife took some, I'll have to ask her.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
I have to give the polaris owners that work on their own machines props... they must be phenomenal mechanics. i just got done working on a rzr 800s for 2 weeks almost every night after work for some projects that should have taken a couple of hours.

i commend you, polaris rzr owners... heres to you!

steve

Reactions: MX-Z Man

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I have to give the polaris owners that work on their own machines props... they must be phenomenal mechanics. i just got done working on a rzr 800s for 2 weeks almost every night after work for some projects that should have taken a couple of hours.

i commend you, polaris rzr owners... heres to you!

steve
Dont forget us Ranger owners too! over 2 1/2 weeks wrenchin and diagnosing mine. I think I got it figured out. I think.

But yes we pooplaris owners unfortunately get to know our machines very well...

Bruce in all seriousness ( cause I was joking btw lol) Do you ever seen any BRP quads or SXS on the tow rope or broke down. There really are not any around here for me to get a opinion on. Everyone around these parts runs a Polaris.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
I dont see many canams on a rope around wi in my 1500-2000 miles a year. i dont really see too many of any brand on ropes to be honest.

steve

Reactions: MX-Z Man

·
E-Tec Rules
33,567 Posts
We did a good ride yesterday with a group of friends. What a great day on a great machine! Its nice when you buy something and it works this well.
hows the full windshield do in the dust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
cool beans
36,701 Posts
I'm just going to say this from my own experience......My 2012 Ranger got 6000 trouble free miles......With no major repairs......Change the oil and a new battery was it......Never got roped home......And never Roped a Ranger bud home as well......I have seen a few extra crispy BRP's though.....(.Wish I had the pics)And when I sold it my bud was more than happy and it still runs great......My 2017 they had to replace the A/C the week after I got it but it has worked great after that.....And It's ready for a new battery .....HaHa......Rant over......Just get out and ride what ever you can get on . :)

·
Super Moderator
29,355 Posts
Dont forget us Ranger owners too! over 2 1/2 weeks wrenchin and diagnosing mine. I think I got it figured out. I think.

But yes we pooplaris owners unfortunately get to know our machines very well...

Bruce in all seriousness ( cause I was joking btw lol) Do you ever seen any BRP quads or SXS on the tow rope or broke down. There really are not any around here for me to get a opinion on. Everyone around these parts runs a Polaris.
What's the verdict on yours?

I knew you were having fun - you gotta laugh! As far as on a rope, as Honda400 said, normally they're all pretty decent.

We have seen a huge increase in the Can Am population over the last 6-8 years. Most of the ATVs seem to be Can Ams, still a bunch of Poo SxS but there sure were a lot of newer Mavericks out the other day. Noticeably more than before.

That said, my nieces man has a General that has spent some shop time. When the neighbor kid was buying his General, one of their friends, who owns one, told him not to buy it. He stole his so even I would have bought it!

At one ride a few weeks ago there was an "anti-Can Am guy", his words, who was riding one. He said he was pro Poo and Honda but he finally gave up and bought an Outlander.

By no means are the Can Ams perfect but they do seem to work pretty good.

My wife's nephew has a Kawi SxS, its been bullet proof.

·
Super Moderator
29,355 Posts
hows the full windshield do in the dust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its decent, but you HAVE to have a rear window or its worse than no windshield.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
I've pulled my dad's rzr back on a rope with my can am haha.

Steve

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Just ordered new wheels/tires for my Defender XMR. Yikes, pricey. ATV tires are as much or more than ten ply truck tires for my 3/4 ton diesel! Choose to go the wheel/tire route versus just the tires so I could swap the mud wheels back on easily if things get boggy. The stock ITP mud tires are 30" and super aggressive tread, I hope that the 32" Motoclaw tires can do OK in the wet steeps . I may look for a set of chains for snow, the mud tires were terrible in any snow more than four inches going up steep hills.

·
Super Moderator
29,355 Posts
Just ordered new wheels/tires for my Defender XMR. Yikes, pricey. ATV tires are as much or more than ten ply truck tires for my 3/4 ton diesel! Choose to go the wheel/tire route versus just the tires so I could swap the mud wheels back on easily if things get boggy. The stock ITP mud tires are 30" and super aggressive tread, I hope that the 32" Motoclaw tires can do OK in the wet steeps . I may look for a set of chains for snow, the mud tires were terrible in any snow more than four inches going up steep hills.
100% true story - thats why I traded my last 4 wheeler. I had a flat and when I got looking at the tires they were pretty weather checked. I looked into buying new ones and said screw it, if I'm spending that much $$$ I'll just put it towards a new wheeler instead.

·
Registered
601 Posts
100% true story - thats why I traded my last 4 wheeler. I had a flat and when I got looking at the tires they were pretty weather checked. I looked into buying new ones and said screw it, if I'm spending that much $$$ I'll just put it towards a new wheeler instead.
Yea, so I had to doo this last week. Installed the Clutch kit went for a ride over to Hook&Ladder for lunch and get on Rotsen Rd. and feel the right rear go down. Limped it out to Flatrock and called for a ride home.

Got home and ordered a set of ITP Coyotes in 8Ply, it's only money you can't take it with you!

Oh, have a couple spare stock tires, Bighorn 2.0 1-front and 1-rear, 2800miles on them, Make an offer if anyone interested PM me.

·
Super Moderator
29,355 Posts
I popped one on my last Defender, it was an issue getting one in a reasonable time so I ended up buying a complete set of spares for it.

Only trouble is that set is 27s, the new Defender has 28s. Oops. I should probably get those sold too.

·
Super Moderator
29,355 Posts
Sorry. They're in the shed, out of sight out of mind.

Need a spare set? I don't even remember what they are.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
tire prices have really jumped in the past 4 months! ive watched a few different types that keep bumping up almost weekly from the covid inflation.

i agree with the dust on the windshields. if you dont have a rear, it is really bad, even with a mesh rear. the dust sucks right back in when you start to slow down for stop signs and such. I switched to a mesh front to go with my mesh rear on my x3, it has been great for protection while still letting air move through. I am actually going to be changing my order on my defender to remove the front and rear glass to save a few $ and going with mesh after discussing with my wife over the weekend.

steve

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
New wheels were dropped over the last few days. Just looking at them still wrapped in the protective shipping materials, the sight of them left me concerned about wheel well/fender clearance. My ITP mud tires are labeled 30". So getting 32" tires no big deal right? Wrong! I should have measured the ITP tires. When I did, they came in at 28.5" best. Look at the difference, the MotoClaws are true 32" tires. Close to 4" difference in height. Mounted the front first, tested. about 2" of clearance at wheel well, plenty at XMR extended fenders. Whew! Lesson from this. Do not believe what is molded for tire size. Measure! Anyhow, this setup looks strong, should improve traction in many conditions. Extra two more inches of ground clearance, which is great for riding over blowdown trees on trails in the woods. Drawback- the tailgate is even higher now, it was high to begin with on the XMR, can be an issue lifting heavy stuff into bed.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,355 Posts
Doing some work on the tower today. When we built this it was getting late so the stairs were built from lumber my buddy cut on his mill (not sure what kind), after 10 years they were getting a bit punky, or so I thought. I went over today to fix a few treads, ended up tearing them all down and I'll be building new ones out of treated lumber this time. In order to tear them down I needed a ladder, so down the hill to my buddys house for a ladder. Yes, you can carry a 24' extension ladder with a Defender.

I should have taken more pictures. Between dragging 4x4's, winching the old stairs away, hauling the ladder and a whole bunch of other stuff the darn thing earned it's fuel today. What an awesome, handy piece.

281 - 300 of 311 Posts