Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out what I got to try out this week!

85e0a5c02e7610926241dac4214f0025.jpg

2019 Defender HD10 XT with windshield. My dealer let me demo it. Nice machine. My comparison is a 2013 John Deere Gator 825i S4 that we got new. Pluses and minuses. It's not WOW vs the Gator but very nice nonetheless. It looks amazing the seats are comfortable and has good power and speed. The ride at speed is good and the power steering is spot on but so is the Gator. On the downside it is not as smooth at low speed not as easy to get in and out of and the bed is not as heavy duty. Are these show stoppers? Not at all. The Can Am is very nice and I will definitely consider it when I replace the Gator. Just not tomorrow. The Gator is a beast definitely a John Deere. Very utilitarian and tough as nails. Would probably plow a field if you needed it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Expy 600R SE
3,618 Posts
yes those are nice machines>>>>> I have the exact machine in camo but a 2017 model but same machine and I also have the HDXT 8 2019 model also at some other property I have. And over the years at the farm we have had nothing but the Deere machines. have had the 6 wheel machines also from Deere>>>> But in the end I will take the Can Am over the Deere now that we have had a chance to run them side by side. We have also had a Polaris but like the Can Am better. Just a personal liking to the Can Am for our family>>>>>>

I had no problems with the Deere at all or a matter of fact with any of the other machines we have had. Only thing with the Polaris is all the recalls we had. Bout drove me nuts taking it back to the dealer>>>>> But no recalls from Deere or Can Am>>>>>

Enjoy what you have is all that is important>>>>>And the job it does for you>>>>

Reactions: MX-Z Man

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have a 16 xt hd8. Its been great. There is one just like it running around sw wisconsin with 20,000 plus miles on it just like mine. Only Belt and tire replacements have been done.

·
Super Moderator
29,339 Posts
I have a '19 HD8 XT - never wanted one, now I wouldn't be without it. I have over 600 miles on it so far. In over 33 years of marriage this is the first toy my wife likes as much as I do.

Mine has been used about 50/50 work and play so far - it does well with both. We did a 90 mile ride over the weekend, over 25 MPG too.

Play time;

H3DLoLe.jpg

Work time;

I602rzl.jpg

** Disclaimer on this one - just because you can doesn't mean you should. After a few passes I did go get the tractor. The Defender pulled this set-up well on the hard ground, traction was an issue on the soft ground.

·
E-Tec Rules
33,535 Posts
I have a '19 HD8 XT - never wanted one, now I wouldn't be without it. I have over 600 miles on it so far. In over 33 years of marriage this is the first toy my wife likes as much as I do.

Mine has been used about 50/50 work and play so far - it does well with both. We did a 90 mile ride over the weekend, over 25 MPG.
where did you go? Have police bothered you much since you cant register it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
29,339 Posts
Left the house, rode to BC for gas, over to Montague for lunch, to Whetstone for a look, then back home.

We met a DEC truck early in the trip, he just waived.

I'm sure someday someone will be difficult but I've been told if you have your seatbelt and helmet on and you're driving reasonable most will let you ride. Most understand they're legal in 49 states - we just have King Andy and the Citidiots messing with us.

With that said, a buddy got a ticket a few months back from a Forest Ranger. :shrug

Wifey and I have decided we're going to enjoy it and if we get a ticket we'll just pay it.

·
Premium Member
Expy 600R SE
3,618 Posts
Wisconsin has just about all township roads you can ride legal. Plus signs saying you can ride them. No major hwy but some areas you can ride the county marked roads. When I get a chance will take pics of the 2 different defenders I have. I dont like the cheesy covers for doors so I have vinyl doors on the 10 with clear plastic zip up windows and the 8 I have hard doors with no window. I'll get some pics up in the next week then.

·
Super Moderator
29,339 Posts
I didn't think I'd like the nets for doors. When I first got it one of the first things I started looking at was different doors. Now I have time and miles on it I've grown to like the nets a lot.

With the windshield they're not too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter. Maybe if I had real doors I'd like them better, so far I'm happy with these.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
how do you guys find the comfort of the seats on the standard machines for trail riding? that was one of my main concerns when i was looking at them. the XT-P seems to have a little more of a bucket seat to it but since the dealer i have close, didnt have one i couldnt try it out.

they look like great machines glad you guys like them. for the the price of a base model, they are very competitive to get into an 800 class machine. glad to see people getting good mpg out of them as well, with the 800s. I like the box, like the overall concept, but wouldnt use it for actual utility work. it was just too much utility for me, when i really wanted a trail machine.

after having a 2014 xmr maverick for a couple years, I decided on a maverick X3 xds turbo r (172hp version) this spring, it has been a blast. it freaking rips too... it is almost too fast, i run 95% of the time in eco mode, get 17 mpg with it trail riding in northern wi. full adjust-ability on shocks and a diff lock is also very nice. What i really wish is that they would come out with an updated commander, but they didnt for '20. something with 130ish hp in a hybrid x3 chassis with a box on it would be awesome. i would trade to that in a heartbeat. i couldnt step back to a commander that was the same body style as my xmr, with less shocks and less power, when i decided i wanted to sell mine.

steve

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
The seats on my 18 XMR are great. When I am working with the machine, you just shift your body, open the hard door, and get out. The sport UTV seats have more bolster and tilt, and are three times as hard to get out of because of bolster and being inches lower. The Defender XMR 1000cc will not knock your socks off performance wise. It is purpose built for mud riding, but I liked the extra ground clearance for working and it came cheap!

·
Premium Member
Expy 600R SE
3,618 Posts
@ Honda400, The seats work great for me anyway. But you say trail riding which to me is just going on the seal coated township roads and some gravel roads but you might take to other types of trail riding. But not me or the wife>>>>> One thing I do not like is the seat belt cause it cuts so bad into my shoulder or should I say pulls to much>>>>> But the seats are way my comfortable than the Polaris and the John Deere gators.

·
Premium Member
Expy 600R SE
3,618 Posts
Oh one other note of interest is the storage under the passenger seat and where the grab bar is for the passenger. Nice to take the storage compartments out if need to be. That is where these machines are nice for farm work and then just for the pleasure of riding them to go out for lunch some place>>>

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
I think the seats in the xt-p are the same style as the xmr, they are said to be the best seats for a little more trail riding in a defender. They are molded to your butt a little more instead of just a bench, which helps keep you in the seat.

The X3 seats are definitely hard to get in and out of. That's probably the only gripe I have. I don't mind getting in and out but my wife doesn't like pulling and working to get out. My 14 was easy to get in, compared to this one.

Thanks for the info!
Steve

·
Super Moderator
29,339 Posts
The seats in the XT aren't the same as the base model seats. They're not XT-P bolstered but they're nice. So far I've done (3) 90 mile rides with it, comfort hasn't been an issue.

As far as being too much of a utility machine, Can Am advertises it as 70% Utility, 30% Sport, I'd tend to agree with that. After I'd had mine awhile I started wondering if I bought the right machine. My niece was looking for a new ride so we spent some time at the local BRP dealer. After looking them all over again I'd say for me, for how I'm using it, I 100% bought the right machine.

For 2020 they updated the Defender some - the new HD10 is pretty sweet. But, for the $2800 adder to get into the HD10 my HD8 does everything I need it to do. I'd also be curious to see what an updated Commander may bring.

With that said, if I happened to hit the Powerball there'd be a Maverick X3 XRS Turbo in my garage too. Somehow I don't see that happening any time soon. :lol:

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
Good to know that the XT seats are different as well. i wasnt aware of that, i guess i didnt look all that hard at them either.

I pretty much decided that regardless, i was getting an X3 LOL

steve

·
Premium Member
Expy 600R SE
3,618 Posts
Here are a couple pics of our defender HD 10 on the farm. If you notice the bar towards the top of the dump box, one side is missing. El cheapo brackets with a rivet into plastic. Not gonna work for us hauling wood and or rocks. We have the electric dump also on the box and a wireless remote for the winch. View attachment 1876713 View attachment 1876715

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
I sat in one of the Cat ones outside of a Cabellas, and was impressed with the roominess. The 6 seater version looks a bit smaller than the Cat version. Anyone try them in person to compare?

·
Super Moderator
29,339 Posts
I used mine last night doing some food plot work. The more I use it the more impressed I am.

Long story short, last weekend I had to leave my flail chopper in the woods at hunting camp. I was over there last night, wondered if the Defender could get it home (instead of needing my tractor), decided to try it; not even a struggle. I brought it home at 35 MPHish and got it parked back where it belongs.

Darn handy and useful tool. :righton

Reactions: 6100D
1 - 20 of 308 Posts