Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of you guys were having trouble with fouling plugs, was this the fix?? Also how about the 5000rpm stumble or backfiring on deceleration or surging, anyone have these problems and did the update cure them. Anyone fouling plugs after the update that never fouled before the update?? Tell us your story good or bad..........

·
Registered
407 Posts
Have 04 Gade X 600 SDI, Non ES.

Prior to installing 2500-03 I had done the following:

BR9EYA Plugs @ .028"
Oil usage @ 47/48:1, this took 21.3 mm at the cable.
Set idle to 2000 RPM's
All 2004 SDI Remappings installed.

Results were:

No plug fouling.
No backfire.
Slight stumble @ 5-6000 with slow throttle application.
Bad stumble, almost would die, when climbing cornices.

After installing 2005-03 results are:

No plug fouling.
No backfire.
No 5-6000 stumble.
Almost eliminated the stumble when climbing cornices.
MPG stayed same.

Hope this helps.

REVDOO.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got my 04 GSX Ltd remapped to the 05 version as well. Not sure why I did because I never had a problem ever (only 500 miles) . I was in the dealership and they just suggested I bring it in. After mapping I notice no issues at all - runs great . I have had to just burp the throttle occasionally when starting it up (I think when warm) - but nothing annoying at all. I was messing around this past weekend on a local lake with the owner of the dealership - just giving kids rides etc.... . I ran it WOT across the lake a couple of times and it pulled just as hard as before and topped out at 102 mph on the speedo with just a little light fluff on the lake over hardpack. Plenty fast for me and it is bone stock with no changes from the factory at all.

I did ask him (the owner of my dealership) about the remapping and he did ask me if I had noticed anything. I told him no ill effects - and he went on to say he has had a few sleds back for fouled plugs. I didn't ask if these sleds were fouling before or not ? Nor did I ask what they were doing to try to correct.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Revdoo,how many miles do you have on your sled?
Keep running that oil pump that lean and it will need a crank soon!
About 1800 to 3000 miles is all that it will last.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I lost the flame show......gained a very slight back fire when WOT and slow for corners or stop signs...( after hard running)

Better gas milage and much better idle..........my sled is far from perfect in my opinion but this update was for sure more good news than bad.

·
Registered
460 Posts
prior to having it done i fouled 26 plugs. just got back from maine, 500 miles and not one fouled plug. hopefully well get a little more snow so i can test it some more.

·
Registered
413 Posts
nbrenegade said:
I know a lot of you guys were having trouble with fouling plugs, was this the fix?? Also how about the 5000rpm stumble or backfiring on deceleration or surging, anyone have these problems and did the update cure them. Anyone fouling plugs after the update that never fouled before the update?? Tell us your story good or bad..........
[snapback]315608[/snapback]​
I had the update on my 05 600gade. Only fouled a few plugs prior, none after. THe update almost eliminated the backfire and high rpm stutter. Milage may have improved very little. I really had no big issues prior to the update but am glad I got it.. Reference Revadoos oil ratio I agree too lean on oil. Because the sdi's use less fuel a high oil to fuel ratio results in very little oil for an engine that is doing the same work as the one using more fuel and consequently more oil..

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well mine has never fouled a plug so I have been waiting for feed back before I bring it in for the update. My SDI is running at 50:1.......

·
Registered
134 Posts
Only fouled 2 plugs prior to new update( both my fault)
Before update sled ran great no real major concerns, had a slight stutter worse when cold and started to throw flames on deceleration.
After udate no plug trouble in fact they have never looked so good. They always had a black coat on them prior, now they are a nice cardboard brown. Stutter is gone, and flames only happening when pushing really hard, like when going 100 mile an hour for a bit then a quick dump of the throttle and it may do this .
All in all a good deal no complaints the sled does seem to run cleaner at all rpms.

·
Registered
541 Posts
nbrenegade said:
[snapback]315608[/snapback]​
i had the update done last year and only fould 2 plugs all season. start of this season with same update and i fould 3 sets in first 100 miles. 5 set total. had the 2005-3 update done and changed back to br9ecs after running br9eya with NO problems and i noticed the idle was much cleaner and slightly higher on cold start up and the rer worked much better. never had any stumble problems till this past weekend . stated to stumble at low rpm's and immediately after...2minutes later.. fouled a plug. put in new br9ecs and still had stumble happening??never did it before?? next morning went out for a ride and stumble was getting worse so i went back to br9eya plugs and it stayed the same. really bad stumble when trying to climb steep hills. bad at 5000 to 6500 rpm unless i squeezed the throttle hard and it would clean right up and scream. took it to the dealers and they said the oil injection pump was sticking and overloading it with oil when off the throttle. new oil pump on back order for a week so i said put a heavier return spring on it and i'll ride till you get the new pump. went out to pick it up tonight and they said i could'nt take it because it still did the same thing even with the oil pump cam working.?? they tried a new coil pack...tps settings...new plugs....did compression test (150 both sides) and said the pto side plug looked wetter than the othe rplug. they also changed the map update back to the 2004-7?? update and NO change. still trouble shooting tomorrow. glad i pushed to get it back today because we go to quebec first week of march and if i waited till next week when they got the oil pump in!!!??? it would still be the same problem. good dealer though and i know they won't stop till it's fixed for me. also had LOTS of flames and backfiring last year before ANY updates and ended up replacing the pto seal because it was leaking and the rings...one of them had a slight flaking showing. last yuears rings went in though...not this years new chrome nitrate rings.. hope this may help anyone out...always good to be in the know even if it dose'nt effect you directly.

·
Registered
541 Posts
nbrenegade said:
Well mine has never fouled a plug so I have been waiting for feed back before I bring it in for the update. My SDI is running at 50:1.......
[snapback]316431[/snapback]​
MY ADVICE BEING 20/20!!! if it ain't broke ...don't let em fix it. i'd just leave well enough alone and specify for them to NOT re-map it when in for service. they all seem to have slight defferences.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the update would get rid of the stumble, backfiring and surging I want it done. Also my plugs are black and always wet looking.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts