Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 559 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed that there hasn't been much talk about this year's Cain's Quest. Other than Biglandrider and sdicker, are there others on here involved with the race?

I know they had a trail class this year, but it was cancelled due to low registration. Too bad it didn't have a little more interest.

How's the snow levels looking this year? From what I have read the north coast is starting to see some accumulation but the south coast not so much.

Lets get the conversation going. Time is getting short! Gonna be an interesting race!

Attachments

Reactions: cdolan

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I briefly looked into the trail class and although it was a little expensive, from my understanding satellite tracking, emergency services, meals and accommodations were included in the cost. For someone not from the area coming in to experience the big land, it was somewhat reasonable for what was being offered. Not having any local contacts or connections, and having to pay for lodgings can get expensive. Being tracked and knowing that there was someone to call upon if the sh!t hit the fan is somewhat comforting, especially if you are not local to the area. Now I stand to be corrected on what is included in the price, as like I said I briefly looked at it.

I think some of the downfall of Cain's is its lack of exposure. The media (TV-News) really needs to get on board with this. A nightly update on even the top three team standings during the sports cast would be a start. Hopefully the exposure that is being given to our European friends on the Lynx Adventure page will help with some of the online exposure anyway.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Thanks for starting this conversation ST. As you all know, I'm part of Team 5 Goose Bay and will be racing on a 900 Skandic SWT. Many think this is an odd choice of machine however based on our experience we feel that we have the right machine for the job and are looking forward to see if we are right or not. Alot of our strategy is based on snow conditions and to be honest, I don't like what I see in some areas and am OK with others. The route from Lab City to Goose Bay is passable but the further east you come, the less snow there is. Lots of rocks and other obstacles to contend with. We are getting snow every week now and conditions will continue to improve but to be honest I'm hoping there will still be a few A-arm destroyers lurking just under the snow. From Goose Bay to Postville the conditions are much the same...passable but pretty rough with lots of obstacles. That's a tough leg even under the best of conditions but the closer you get to Postville the more snow there is. I hear the ice from Postville to Nain and back down to Makkovik is pretty smooth. I'm sure that will change in a few short days and we will encounter the typical concrete like snow drifts that we have come to despise. That's gonna be a tough section on us as the well suspended faster machines have the advantage there. From Makkovik to Rigolet is still a bit of an unknown as a lot of the ice broke up in a winter storm. It has refrozen and we are all waiting to see who scouts it first. I suspect there are teams out there now. From Rigolet to Cartwright will be a new challenge as there is a new checkpoint up in the Mealy's and we'll be taking the old Trans Labrador Trail. I look forward to a couple of good storms to fill that full of bottomless powder. The SWT's should do well in that section. Cartwright down to L'Anse Au Loup is OK now but it can change overnight. We could either get a big whopping storm or a very mild spell. LAL to Birchy Lake is rough, lots of exposed rock and willow/alder clogged brooks to contend with. Thumbs up from us. From Birchy over the top of the Mealy's back to Lake Melville has a lot of snow and there are a few teams trying to keep it open and stashing gas up there now. We're counting on lots of snow up there and should hold our own either way. Then there's the finish from Northwest River/Sheshatshiu back to Lab City. We have scheduled the biggest accumulation of snow for the year to hit 2 days prior to re-running that section. Let's hope Mother Nature keeps her side of the deal!!

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
I was just thinking about this as well ST, glad you started it. Is Cains Guest running this year? Like Iron Dog, the trail class turns me off as you only get to do part of the course. Iron Dog ends the trail class in Nome, of course I'd ride back to Fairbanks, so why pay to go halfway.

I hope the SWTs do well for BLR, can't wait to start watching although I'd rather be there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
736 Posts
Would be interesting to note some of the modifications to the skandic swts suspension and such, this will be interesting for sure!

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
I was feeling the itch here as well , I just saw the counter hit 29 days on Facebook this morning !

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
I am going to try and get up "close and personal" when some of the boys pass through this year! :smile_old:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think some of the downfall of Cain's is its lack of exposure. The media (TV-News) really needs to get on board with this.
I totally agree with this. This race is BIG and unique, it should be a national event!!

I was in Lab City last week, then I saw a CQ sign in front of the hotel we're staying (Two Seasons), that's when I realized that there was going to be a race this year. I had not seen any ad or anybody mention anything about it!

This year I'm trying to arrange my work schedule to be in Lab City on March 4th for the race start. Hope it works!

·
7,718 Posts
I totally agree with this. This race is BIG and unique, it should be a national event!!
I was in Lab City last week, then I saw a CQ sign in front of the hotel we're staying (Two Seasons), that's when I realized that there was going to be a race this year. I had not seen any ad or anybody mention anything about it!

This year I'm trying to arrange my work schedule to be in Lab City on March 4th for the race start. Hope it works!
A good point.

·
7,718 Posts
I briefly looked into the trail class and although it was a little expensive, from my understanding satellite tracking, emergency services, meals and accommodations were included in the cost. For someone not from the area coming in to experience the big land, it was somewhat reasonable for what was being offered. Not having any local contacts or connections, and having to pay for lodgings can get expensive. Being tracked and knowing that there was someone to call upon if the "edit for bad language" hit the fan is somewhat comforting, especially if you are not local to the area. Now I stand to be corrected on what is included in the price, as like I said I briefly looked at it.

I think some of the downfall of Cain's is its lack of exposure. The media (TV-News) really needs to get on board with this. A nightly update on even the top three team standings during the sports cast would be a start. Hopefully the exposure that is being given to our European friends on the Lynx Adventure page will help with some of the online exposure anyway.
A really good point about the "Top three teams" being announced on the news. That would be fantastic. Hoping that the CBC and NTV will be more on board this year. I can remember watching Harricana footage when I was a kid; it was often on RDS and I used to absolutely love it, running for the VCR to press record if you caught a glimpse of it while flipping channels!

I agree that this event always tells an incredible story that is easy to market.

·
7,718 Posts
If he can manage to find his way I'd say I could round up a cup of tea and something warm to eat!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right! You're going there I forgot. Just look for the most scraggly looking trapper speaking frencha-newfanese you can find and you'll have him! LOL

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
If he can manage to find his way I'd say I could round up a cup of tea and something warm to eat!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My son put the kettle on... you just got yourself a visitor!!! :smile_old:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Great interview!

I hear "old man" Myles got an e-tec engine packed away in that Viper! :wink_old:

Not one "right", he sounds focused & on his game!? :you-da-man:

1 - 20 of 559 Posts