Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there direct replacements for the cageless needle bearings?? Im looking for the caged type for an 01 800 MXZ Standard. Cant find anything OEM......Must be an aftermarket match???

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Wiseco 20-25-23 or 20-25-24 both of those work great and they dont cost much i beleive the yamaha bearing is for the vmax 500,94-01.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Why would you want to change, do you think Skidoo put cageless in there to "edit for bad language" you off, or you don't know the way to assemble the components related, in which case you shouldn't be doing the job.

·
Mod'n is my thing
6,288 Posts
The caged bearings will last longer than the rings anyway. Some claim that the caged bearings fail easier than the cageless. Personally I run all caged bearings and never had a problem. My Yamis came std with them and my old SRV is still running the same pistons/bearings since 1987....how's that for dependability.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I always thought the cageless bearings offered more area to distribute force on the piston pin because the lack of cage provides more space for additional rollers.

I don't think caged bearings fail necessarily, I think that BRP went to cageless because of the advantages it offers in longevity....especially on larger twins where forces are even greater on the bearings and pin.

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
Ive been using the caged bearing on my engines when I replace them, a wrist pin bearing failure is the very least of my worries. Just about any 20mm bearing will work . Ive used every brand imagineable in my ski doos from kimpex to Yamaha , they all woked just fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Rotax engines come with cageless bearings because of failures of caged bearings in theie aircraft engines.The cageless offers more surface area to spread the load,therefore increasing durability of the engine.

·
Mod'n is my thing
6,288 Posts
marsheng said:
therefore increasing durability of the engine.
[snapback]378748[/snapback]​
That's a true statement up until that last part where the irony sets in.

Series III motors and durability don't go hand in hand.

I won't argue with any one that says cageless bearings can support more load since there are more needles carrying it across the surface.....but then why do they only use one ring to carry the load to the sidewall.....less friction to make more power....which causes more heat buildup on the ring surface....which causes the dreaded pitting found on all 600/800 motors up till 05 when they changed rings.
Even the ZX 700's have pitted rings...I've changed them all.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
REV*BARON said:
marsheng said:
therefore increasing durability of the engine.
[snapback]378748[/snapback]​
That's a true statement up until that last part where the irony sets in.

Series III motors and durability don't go hand in hand.

I won't argue with any one that says cageless bearings can support more load since there are more needles carrying it across the surface.....but then why do they only use one ring to carry the load to the sidewall.....less friction to make more power....which causes more heat buildup on the ring surface....which causes the dreaded pitting found on all 600/800 motors up till 05 when they changed rings.
Even the ZX 700's have pitted rings...I've changed them all.
[snapback]378757[/snapback]​
I agree 100% REV Baron. What irony, cageless offering more durability but yet they use a sh&%*y one ring poston and an inferior ring material to boot...I also have replaced the cageless bearings on my '03 REV 600HO and after three seasons it is still going strong... Now if I could only get the Doo rings to last that long we would be in business...

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
The reason they went to cageless bearings is that they found that wrist pin failure problems were more from the cage itself coming apart and ruining the bearing. Other manufacturers are running caged bearings with no problems. I've had caged bearings in my 01 800 MXZ for about 5000 miles and no problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts