Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a BV2S helmet last year and had problems with the shield freezing up. I tried adjusting the breathing mask in different positions but had no luck resolving the problem. I have thought about buying the electric shield for it but for another $160 plus having to install an outlet on the sled I don't know if it's worth it. I had a Ski Doo modular before the BV2S and had no problems with the shield freezing up but I like the fit of the BV2S so I bought it and sold the modular. I like the helmet but for $300+ I expected more. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought a BV2S helmet last year and had problems with the shield freezing up. I tried adjusting the breathing mask in different positions but had no luck resolving the problem. I have thought about buying the electric shield for it but for another $160 plus having to install an outlet on the sled I don't know if it's worth it. I had a Ski Doo modular before the BV2S and had no problems with the shield freezing up but I like the fit of the BV2S so I bought it and sold the modular. I like the helmet but for $300+ I expected more. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Which diaphragm (exhaul valve) are you using? I had the same issue and then switched them from the solid one to the one with the 3 holes in it. Seemed to breath better no fogging up. Ran it 4 or 5 times this way. Also make sure that you are adjusting the breathing mask, took me a few times to reallty tune it in. Eventually during the season I did add a heat shield. Still no issues.

·
Mass Confussion
2,988 Posts
Check your seal on the shield itself, make sure no moisture can get in between.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which diaphragm (exhaul valve) are you using? I had the same issue and then switched them from the solid one to the one with the 3 holes in it. Seemed to breath better no fogging up. Ran it 4 or 5 times this way. Also make sure that you are adjusting the breathing mask, took me a few times to reallty tune it in. Eventually during the season I did add a heat shield. Still no issues.
I tried the different exhaust valves but it didn't help. It was mainly freezing up on the upper left side of the shield and the area would get bigger the longer I rode. To make things worse the freezing is between the double pane shield so it could not be just wiped off. The only thing I could do is stop and go inside to thaw the shield.

·
Mass Confussion
2,988 Posts
The shield is no good in that condition. If you just bought the helmet new, the shield should be under warranty. If not you have two options, buy a new shield or try running a small bead of clear silicone around the seams of the shield.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check your seal on the shield itself, make sure no moisture can get in between.
There is a slight gap on the inside along the bottom where the 2 shields come together. This looks like the way the shield is built and not a manufacturing flaw.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The shield is no good in that condition. If you just bought the helmet new, the shield should be under warranty. If not you have two options, buy a new shield or try running a small bead of clear silicone around the seams of the shield.
I did buy the helmet new online but its the limited edition honeycomb model which was old stock so I don't know if it would be still under warranty.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I took the shield off and noticed there is a grey double stick gasket holding the 2 panes together and it was not sealed properly. I pressed all the way around and it seems to be seated properly now. For what they charge for these helmets there has to be a better way of sealing these 2 panes. If I still have an issue next season I will put a small bead of clear silicone around the seams as you suggested. By the way I did call the dealer I bought the helmet from and they told me that they did have customers who had the same problem where the gasket wasn't sealed correctly from the factory. They offered to replace the shield under warranty but I would have to pay shipping both ways for the helmet. Anyways thanks for the help.

·
E-Tec Rules
33,763 Posts
i got same problem to, mine fogs and ices up. it works good when its 30F+

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I took the shield off and noticed there is a grey double stick gasket holding the 2 panes together and it was not sealed properly. I pressed all the way around and it seems to be seated properly now. For what they charge for these helmets there has to be a better way of sealing these 2 panes. If I still have an issue next season I will put a small bead of clear silicone around the seams as you suggested. By the way I did call the dealer I bought the helmet from and they told me that they did have customers who had the same problem where the gasket wasn't sealed correctly from the factory. They offered to replace the shield under warranty but I would have to pay shipping both ways for the helmet. Anyways thanks for the help.
You should be able to go to your nearest Ski Doo dealer for replacement. It doesn't have to be where you purchased it from.

·
Premium Member
3,014 Posts
The BV2S works great for some and not well for others.I had one and it would fog periodically loved the vision and warmth but got frustrated and went to a MX style.I like the MX but missed the BV2S on cold days so I found a good deal and bought a new one so I have both.I found with the new one that it works much better than my first one ,I changed discs and am really careful about adjustment.

·
I'm disinclined to acquiesce your request.
36,411 Posts
I've had the BV2S for 4 years now, only fogs when I sweat. My shield did delaminate after 3 years,I replaced it and no problems.

·
SkiDoo Guru
19,540 Posts
i had the same problem ,took out the disc in the front and it has been working great now .don't even use pads in it anymore .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts