Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding a 2001 MXZ700 for the past few years and am looking to buy a used 2004 or 2005 REV. I'm 6ft. 240 lbs and basically am wondering if a 500SS would be adequate or if I should at least get a 600HO. I ride mostly on wooded hard pack trails which can get pretty rough with the occassional open field, but not much powder. Most of the guys I ride with have 600s and some older sleds. I'm not really too worried about fuel consumption, but wonder if the 600 HO would be a noticeable difference over the 500ss and worth dealing with the potential ring problems. Thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Bobs700z said:
I have been riding a 2001 MXZ700 for the past few years and am looking to buy a used 2004 or 2005 REV. I'm 6ft. 240 lbs and basically am wondering if a 500SS would be adequate or if I should at least get a 600HO. I ride mostly on wooded hard pack trails which can get pretty rough with the occassional open field, but not much powder. Most of the guys I ride with have 600s and some older sleds. I'm not really too worried about fuel consumption, but wonder if the 600 HO would be a noticeable difference over the 500ss and worth dealing with the potential ring problems. Thanks.
[snapback]727844[/snapback]​
The 500SS will be fine, the motor is more reliable than the 600HO, performance is not that much different.

On the other hand, if you find a 600HO for a good price the rings are not bad to replace, I replaced mine twice in 5,300 miles before the updated rings were available.

Doo might still replace them under warranty anyway.

Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
Bobs700z said:
[snapback]727844[/snapback]​
I am about the same size and have the SS. From the sounds of your trail conditions, you may want to get an adrenaline over a trail, but I am happy with mine. The HO will give you better top end, but it doesn't sound like you are interested in that. Either model is great. If you buy used, make sure you check it out good. There's posts on here to help.
Good luck and let us know what you chose.....

·
Registered
395 Posts
The 500SS in the adrenaline - either 04 or 05. Not much different between the two. Your focus should be on the shocks - trails sound right up the Rev's ally. If you can wait - the 550x fan sled is another choice to consider - if you have low snow conditions....Had the opportunity to ride one this past weekend - and was very impressed.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I have had the chance to ride a 500 SS and it is what got me to buy a Rev in the first place. I am 212# plus clothing. It performs great. I bought a 600 HO and not much difference. 500 SS would give you better gas milage. Both would make great sleds!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GTX SPORT 600 HO said:
I have had the chance to ride a 500 SS and it is what got me to buy a Rev in the first place. I am 212# plus clothing. It performs great. I bought a 600 HO and not much difference. 500 SS would give you better gas milage. Both would make great sleds!!

[snapback]728052[/snapback]​
Thanks for the input. I'm going to go look at a couple of 500ss both Adenalines. There should be enough snow around so I can at least get a feel for them. One is an '05 with about 1000 miles for $4800. The other is an '04 with 2000miles for $43 or $4400. I may also try and ride an HO but it sounds like that for most of my riding the 500ss would probably be just fine. Thanks again.

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
The 500SS will be fine, the motor is more reliable than the 600HO, performance is not that much different.
I disagree, its is not as powerfull (that is why its called the 500SS) and it is no more reliable and probably less so than an 04 or 05 600... (but still a good motor) the 600 is underpowered for me, the 500SS is worse...

when buying used its the guy your are buying from that needs checking out less than the model sled-

try to buy something as close to stock as possible for best results-

dont buy smeone elses modified time bomb.. if you want a bomb its best to create it yorself-

and take it to a doo dealer and have them give you the actual hours via the computer and compare miles per hours you can easily tell how hard or easy the sled was used-

As alwasy just my take...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Bob, with your size, I'm surprised that no one recommeded an 800. You'll love the extra pull, but what I'd be looking for is an X package, which will give you the extra shock that is rebuildable and can be revalved for your weight. Try an 800 and you'll have an ear to ear grin..., and if your looking for one ecomomically, look at the 03 800's. I love mine

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just got my first Rev's this year. I'm pretty close to your size and my wife and I both have 04 800HO's hers is an adreniline and mine a renegade. I have run both on differnt condition's and the renegade is hands down smoother especially on rough trail's . might want to look into one of those

1 - 9 of 9 Posts