Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to move from my 600 sdi into an 800 this up and comming season, but think an 800 e tec is not affordable. So i'm looking at let's say 07 to 09 used and a couple new left over 0 10's
I heard so many bad things regarding 800's from cranks and seals to having to carry a bucket of piston where ever you go.
Can anyone please give me a straight answer on which ones to avoid and which ones are a keeper. I mean from what im hearing you have to put piston and rings every 5000 km's ? i see 08's with new short blocks in them what gives?

·
Registered
999 Posts
My 08 has 4000 miles, no engine issues.

The dealer in my area has only done a handful of 800s from 08-10, the cause has been water in the fuel, or a belt blowing and the rider not cleaning all the cords out from behind the primary, which in turn eats into the seal behind the primary.

I have heard of one in my area that had one bad crank bearing and it was a summit, and the guy drives his sleds like he stole them.

·
Registered
514 Posts
if you can find/afford a 10 go with that, my dealer says very few problems with the 10's. Otherwise there are alot of 800's out there with no problems and I would own another one as long as the updates have been done. CJ

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I blew a crank bearing in my 08 with 3,300 miles on it.

It was out of warranty but BRP supplied an 09 shortblock free of charge.

I believe there was an update on the cranks in 09.

·
We're All Gonna Get Stuck!
2,902 Posts
My 08 blew up last season with about 2000 miles on it.
Crank case crack. It was a rod bearing from the PTO side that went down into the crank and wreaked havoc.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
My 08 has 4000 miles, no engine issues.

The dealer in my area has only done a handful of 800s from 08-10, the cause has been water in the fuel, or a belt blowing and the rider not cleaning all the cords out from behind the primary, which in turn eats into the seal behind the primary.

I have heard of one in my area that had one bad crank bearing and it was a summit, and the guy drives his sleds like he stole them.

Many times its not the sleds fault. And you almost always are going to hear more bad than good. Many many people have no issues with their 800R's. That being said, a buddy last winter popped his '07 right at the 4500km mark. But that is a mountain sled, and mountain miles are usually harder on a motor than trail miles.

If you are only ever going to be riding in NS, how long would it take you to get 5000km's? Maybe you ride every chance you get, I don't know. You are riding lower elevation, run only premium fuel, treat the sled well and you shouldn't have any issues.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Many times its not the sleds fault. And you almost always are going to hear more bad than good. Many many people have no issues with their 800R's. That being said, a buddy last winter popped his '07 right at the 4500km mark. But that is a mountain sled, and mountain miles are usually harder on a motor than trail miles.

If you are only ever going to be riding in NS, how long would it take you to get 5000km's? Maybe you ride every chance you get, I don't know. You are riding lower elevation, run only premium fuel, treat the sled well and you shouldn't have any issues.
Yes most of my riding will be in nova scotia and maybe a trip to nfld in the spring. I guess i ride at sea level.
Last year was a "edit for bad language" year for snow but i still put 1000 miles on my 600 sdi.
Now being used to the sdi what am i in for as far as starting and throttle response with the 800 carb? The 2010 's im looking at botth have electric start. Is the 800 more of a lake runner am i gonna hate it on trails? I hear the throttle is pretty stiff and hard on the thumb at lower speeds when needed.
Maybe i should stick with my 600. I'd hate to pay 10 grand for another 600.
Any ways thanx for all the help , Ski doo rocks all the way !

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Yes most of my riding will be in nova scotia and maybe a trip to nfld in the spring. I guess i ride at sea level.
Last year was a "edit for bad language" year for snow but i still put 1000 miles on my 600 sdi.
Now being used to the sdi what am i in for as far as starting and throttle response with the 800 carb? The 2010 's im looking at botth have electric start. Is the 800 more of a lake runner am i gonna hate it on trails? I hear the throttle is pretty stiff and hard on the thumb at lower speeds when needed.
Maybe i should stick with my 600. I'd hate to pay 10 grand for another 600.
Any ways thanx for all the help , Ski doo rocks all the way !
I dunno, my girlfriend is 105lbs and doesn't complain too much about the throttle being too stiff

Man up!

Carburated sleds are still very common, I don't hear too many complaints that they don't have throttle response or are hard to start. One good pull is all it takes. If you roll the sled upside down alot you might appreciate the electric start. Many people avoid it because of the "extra weight" Me personally, I love it.

We don't run many lakes out west, but I grew up in NS and know what its like there. For running nothing but trails I might be happy with a 600, why not look at a newer 600 etec rather than an 800. Many people have had great things to say about them.

The 800 is just gonna get you there quicker.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dunno, my girlfriend is 105lbs and doesn't complain too much about the throttle being too stiff

Man up!

Carburated sleds are still very common, I don't hear too many complaints that they don't have throttle response or are hard to start. One good pull is all it takes. If you roll the sled upside down alot you might appreciate the electric start. Many people avoid it because of the "extra weight" Me personally, I love it.

We don't run many lakes out west, but I grew up in NS and know what its like there. For running nothing but trails I might be happy with a 600, why not look at a newer 600 etec rather than an 800. Many people have had great things to say about them.

The 800 is just gonna get you there quicker.
man up huh lol i didnt mean it like that lol i just heard the throttle isnt that responsive at certain power levels. I'm also looking at new 600' e techs i need something to keep up with my friends 800 and 1000 crossfires and rx1's.
Any ways thanxa again , wish it wouls start snowing already .

·
Registered
514 Posts
I never had any issues with throttle responce or throttle thumb. If you nail it you had better be hanging on, not quite as responsive as the 1200 but close. CJ

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've got an 07 and an 09, both summits. I personally would stay away from the 07 if possible. I learned the hard way, spun the crank at about 1800 miles and no warrenty(forsale if anybodies interested, motor has been swapped out). The 09 has been a sweet sled with just a clutch kit and a can.Changed the rear springs to heaviest offered and done some venting. If you can get one cheap, I'd suggest you buy it. Can't comment on the 2010, but they seemed to doo well

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've got an 07 and an 09, both summits. I personally would stay away from the 07 if possible. I learned the hard way, spun the crank at about 1800 miles and no warrenty(forsale if anybodies interested, motor has been swapped out). The 09 has been a sweet sled with just a clutch kit and a can.Changed the rear springs to heaviest offered and done some venting. If you can get one cheap, I'd suggest you buy it. Can't comment on the 2010, but they seemed to doo well
Right on man , i found an o 10 with 700 km at a dealer they added two extra years on top of the 1 year remaining engine warrent. mxz adreline,short track fully loaded. Going to check it out friday and hopfully putting a couple grand deposit down on it . can't wait

·
Registered
9,939 Posts
I blew a crank bearing in my 08 with 3,300 miles on it.

It was out of warranty but BRP supplied an 09 shortblock free of charge.

I believe there was an update on the cranks in 09.
Yep, along with several other updates like coming with a worry free driveshaft, a beefed up QRS tower, 2nd year clutching updates including an improved belt, and let's not forget the best part, black side panels!!!

If you're buying an X-Pkg go 09 or newer, if it's an Adrenaline go 2010 or newer. Big difference between the 08 & 09 X-pkgs when it comes to small bump compliance due to the improved rear arm & seat foam. Also the 08 X-Pkgs only came with 2 rear wheels and they had handwarmer issues, as in they would break and not work at all... I'm only scratching the surface here but to sum it up the further you go in the life cycle of a particular chassis the better sled you're going to get.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Yep, along with several other updates like coming with a worry free driveshaft, a beefed up QRS tower, 2nd year clutching updates including an improved belt, and let's not forget the best part, black side panels!!!

If you're buying an X-Pkg go 09 or newer, if it's an Adrenaline go 2010 or newer. Big difference between the 08 & 09 X-pkgs when it comes to small bump compliance due to the improved rear arm & seat foam. Also the 08 X-Pkgs only came with 2 rear wheels and they had handwarmer issues, as in they would break and not work at all... I'm only scratching the surface here but to sum it up the further you go in the life cycle of a particular chassis the better sled you're going to get.
Ok im pretty sure by now all the updates have been done to all the "affected" sleds.

Now the "crank" update i believe was also a different taper on the mag side, something to do with the magneto but i cant remember, the bearings seem to be the same... but the rods are different.

I personally will never go 600 again unless it is a 95 polaris xlt special
, I have had no trouble beating other sleds, including cat 800s.

My 800 feels better power wise than my turbo rx1 i had, and i realize the power to weight.... but common.... it was 240hp on 8psi.

whatever rx1 and 800 you are riding with, i wouldnt worry about.

and the "updated" clutching was also only a different helix and secondary spring. Resulting in a slower backshift, but faster upshift. Sometimes people will complain of a "bog" when they get on the throttle after being on it, or also when they are above 60mph and they hit it. This is a result of the secondary clutching. or the bolts in the secondary are backing out of your rollers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts