Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone bought a boat or jet ski in the USA and trailered it back here? what are the procedures?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Boats are different than sleds. Much easier. Title, bill of sale and away you go. Don't fib about the price. They're sneaky (customs) mfers.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
bought my sled there and my seadoo, super easy for boats, just need a bill of sale, title if it has one. Make sure you bring the ad etc, don't lie at the boarder they will catch you, you might get away with a drop of 10-15% off what you paid but thats up to you. You will need to go to transport canada I think it is, its not the MTO, get new numbers and your good to go.

If the trailer is 15 years and older you don't need to get it inspected, kinda backwards but whatever.

Sleds, same super easy, buy it, get a title, bill of sale, a print out of the recalls which is just a unit history super easy. pay taxes, send in your info to RIV, they will send you a sticker, go pay the rest of the taxes. Hold it to the bar for the length of the lake, done.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bought my sled there and my seadoo, super easy for boats, just need a bill of sale, title if it has one. Make sure you bring the ad etc, don't lie at the boarder they will catch you, you might get away with a drop of 10-15% off what you paid but thats up to you. You will need to go to transport canada I think it is, its not the MTO, get new numbers and your good to go.

If the trailer is 15 years and older you don't need to get it inspected, kinda backwards but whatever.

Sleds, same super easy, buy it, get a title, bill of sale, a print out of the recalls which is just a unit history super easy. pay taxes, send in your info to RIV, they will send you a sticker, go pay the rest of the taxes. Hold it to the bar for the length of the lake, done.
dealer wants to charge me $100 for it

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
That's horse ****, pm me the vin ill try and get you one, us dealer in water town printed me one for free all they have to do is type the vin in on the boss web and hit print

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Crap, account blocked sorry can't login to boss web, damn anyways its stupid easy just ask the dealer for a unit history print out, that's all you need!!! Dont say anything about a recall letter! Take a picture of it and send it to RIV and your good. If its an etec 800 you will need the recall done no matter what, I tired to get around it but they said they don't care.

·
Registered
349 Posts
dealer wants to charge me $100 for it
What you looking at picking up?
2summers ago I bought a trailer in Canada then went to Ohio and picked up a yamaha VXS wave runner. Came back across and showed bill of sale - paid tax and away I went (as mentioned above).
If you already have a Ontario registered trailer - real easy.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
To licence an American sled in Canada you need to complete the RIV process which requires you to give them proof that there is no out standing recalls, on mine there was one for the pistons once that was complete I was good to go.

·
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.....
1,570 Posts
To licence an American sled in Canada you need to complete the RIV process which requires you to give them proof that there is no out standing recalls, on mine there was one for the pistons once that was complete I was good to go.
We're talking boats and PWC right now. Not sleds.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Sorry didn't catch the switch funny enough a buddy of mine just brought two Seadoos over the border half an hour ago only hassle was the Vin number on the trailer was ripped off because it was a stupid sticker other than that no issues

·
Mach Z club
2,383 Posts
Odds are that the vin is stamped under the frame somewhere also.Boats are super easy to bring into Canada, but what some people forget that you should also get it Coast Guard inspected and get them to issue you a new sticker for it as later on the lake if you are stopped they can ticket you for not being Canadian Coast Guard approved. It's the sticker at the back of the boat that tells you the max hp and max number of people allowed.

Oh and well we're at it don't bring over the life jackets as they are not Canadian Coast Guard approved and you will get a ticket for that also

·
True happiness is never trying a sled better than
14,562 Posts
There are also different criteria for # of people and HP allowed.It will be less than the US allows.If you buy a model that is sold on both sides of the border it shouldn't be an issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts