Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A riding buddy told me last weekend when filling up not to burp tank because most of it goes out the overflow as you ride and can actually cause a fire. Has anyone else heard of this ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Snow, it's a 4 letter word we're proud of&
985 Posts
A riding buddy told me last weekend when filling up not to burp tank because most of it goes out the overflow as you ride and can actually cause a fire. Has anyone else heard of this ???

News to me, I've been burping the gas tanks on Ski Doo's since my first Rev back in 03'.

That goes for all the Ski Doo's that friends and family have also. Never an issue with losing fuel out the overflow.... at least not yet.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

not true, also been doing this since 03 and we have 8 doos in the family. I think if that was possible we'd have found out by now

:explosion:

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I see how it could happen but only in the right sequence of events. I topped my tank off once and then rode about a quarter mile and had to park on a downhill slope for some reason. Smelled fuel and then saw it spraying out by the left front shock, way too close to the hot manifold. Knowing that I had to ride quite a distance down the same grade slope to get it level, I grabbed the tail quick and spun the sled around.

I wouldn't dismiss the claim completely but you shouldn't have a problem. I still top the tank off but just don't park on a downhill slope afterwards.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
29,355 Posts
When I was having my mileage issue on my '09 BRP suggested I burp it, so take that for what its worth.

·
Stay to the right, in your lane and slow down.
1,526 Posts
Nope normally don't burp to squeeze in an extra quart or two of juice.

Have seen fuel "belch" from the tank and get all over....

·
Registered
338 Posts
Like FJR4ME and NickSki I have been burping sled since 03...However... I also overfilled a Rev and had vent out the overflow so like DBalls says don't dismiss it 100%.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I must be in the minority....because...I thought this was all B.s to be completely honest.

We tried burping our 3 sleds and they were all the same almost nothing,pushed down on the seat and alittle burp squeeze the trigger full again did it a few times same results as soon as we would squeeze the trigger it was full again to the top.

So we tried picking up the back end of the sled same results......so other than just a couple of small pushes on the seat once in awhile we don't really bother.......we didn't see were you could get more than a small glass of water in it for cris sakes.....wasn't worth the fuss for us.

Besides we always fuel up every chance we can its always around 30-50 miles out at a time .....we never skip one either.....never know when the next gas stop might be closed..........JMO

·
Super Moderator
3,627 Posts
Do it every-time if distance is an issue, you can get in 2-4 more liters.

·
Registered
164 Posts
new to doo but I just did this last week in michigan, I can get almost 3/4 of a gallon more on my 2016 1200 reney x. it works gota push down on rear bumper as far as you can. trick is to only fill to just below the filler neck then burp so you dont get the belching affect pouring fuel everywhere. never smelled or seen any gas riding

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
push down on the rear bumper, not the seat. the seat base is plastic and also the gas tank. you're not trying to push gas out, just the air pocket in the very rear of the tank. it's the same principle as the nose up bleeding of the cooling system. not a bad idea to loosely put your gas cap on while doing this to avoid gas coming out along with the air, as others have said. it's a rare occasion when I can't squeeze in another gallon which could eliminate a 10 to 15 mile walk out of the woods.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have filled My Tundra, burped the tank and topped it off, then brought the sled into a warm shop.

As it warmed up the overflow started dripping gas and it ends up in the RH ski, next morning i had a ski full of gas when i fired it up and backed it out.... :blink_old:

·
Registered
947 Posts
I burp mine and have never seen it leak out vent...I always get at least a half a gallon or more in the tank by burping....that can make all the difference between running out of gas or not.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have noticed this too when filling up my 1200x. This is my first Ski Doo and noticed they have a baffle in the tank. I fill it, put the cap on and bounce on the bumper, and takes another 1/2 to 3/4 gal to fill it.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts