Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fix the problems you have an the Ace 600s please..

Everyone I know that has one of these motors with 3000kms+ have either had to replace/repair the starter or replace/repair the clutch. This should not be acceptable to you or any of your customers and are problems rarely faced in previous models. The fact that you have not taken action to remedy these two major problems are shocking to me. Since you have a link to this site listed on your website(Canada) makes me think that you must take a look in here sometimes to see what people are discussing, and you would be fools not to since this site could be invaluable if used properly. Not only are people letting you know what the issues are but lots even take the time to submit photos of their problems so that you can actually see the issues up close. DO YOU CARE???

I have had to replace my clutch($520) and my starter($455) on my Skandic WT and that is money that I would rather be in my pocket not yours.

I have heard a few people say that dealers are telling them that these issues are being considered by you for some possible recall or repair but I think it is all BS. Once you have my money its a goner and you could care less.

I see the new line-up of 2015 machines and I like it but I would warn any people looking at the 600 Ace to add an extra $1000 or two to the cost....you're going to probably get it eventauly...

Anyone else with these issues please comment and lets hope that someone at BRP will finally listen. We should not have to accept such quality on an otherwise awesome machine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Could not have said it better myself. Had all of these problems and more...Like faulty welding jobs, vent in gas tank, break sensor, fuse blowing for fan.One of my SWT had its motor blow it pistons to pieces with just 200km.I like these machines BUT looking back at it now,, I have never had this much trouble with any other machine.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
One important point to all this. Many of the problems are actually caused by the dealership not assembling the sleds correctly. The first thing my mate and i did when she got her 600 ace WT was to being it into the shed and inspect it, and yes there were assembly problems with rubbing wires, loose hose clamps. She's already put 3000KM on this year, I took off the starter and sprayed the o-ring seals with molykote 557 and re-installed it, no contamination yet.

·
Registered
107 Posts
One important point to all this. Many of the problems are actually caused by the dealership not assembling the sleds correctly. The first thing my mate and i did when she got her 600 ace WT was to being it into the shed and inspect it, and yes there were assembly problems with rubbing wires, loose hose clamps. She's already put 3000KM on this year, I took off the starter and sprayed the o-ring seals with molykote 557 and re-installed it, no contamination yet.
True, some problems are caused by some of the dumbass assemblers, but I don't think my problems is such. Personally, I blame most of the problems on too many computer problems. Nowadays, everything is run by a computer.Remember the good old days before these computer were installed? When you knew right away what the problem was if you machine didn't start.

I built my first machine from a old 1964 moto-ski motor, 9.9hp if memory is correct and a old 1973 ski-doo frame, can't remember the name.All stuff dad had laying around.Now, I was like 11-12 years old at that time. Most times if it didn't start by pouring a little gas in the spark plug hole, if was likely the carburator that was froze. I rembember pissing on that to thaw it. Pissing on you motor today will likely get you electrocuted.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Stopping the oil from entering the starter won't correct the premature wear of the brushes.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Yep, gas in the sparkplug hole, still do it. Yes there are modern engines out there that are economical on fuel, start in the deep cold and have basically no electronics. But that's not what most people want, they want the latest craze, bling, and reliability be d-mned. It's about looking good on a sled doing something stupid, no more no less. What disturbs me the most is that these sled companies have made me paranoid when it comes to reliability and i am always expecting problems that i do preventative maintenance on new sleds before they even touch the snow. It's no way to live but at least i know i did it right the first time and that gives me some peace of mind.

True, some problems are caused by some of the dumbass assemblers, but I don't think my problems is such. Personally, I blame most of the problems on too many computer problems. Nowadays, everything is run by a computer.Remember the good old days before these computer were installed? When you knew right away what the problem was if you machine didn't start.

I built my first machine from a old 1964 moto-ski motor, 9.9hp if memory is correct and a old 1973 ski-doo frame, can't remember the name.All stuff dad had laying around.Now, I was like 11-12 years old at that time. Most times if it didn't start by pouring a little gas in the spark plug hole, if was likely the carburator that was froze. I rembember "edit for bad language" on that to thaw it. "edit for bad language" on you motor today will likely get you electrocuted.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Stopping the oil from entering the starter won't correct the premature wear of the brushes.
Did you loose a set of brushes since you drilled the hole in your starter? I followed your post and drilled a hole in both of mine and my son's.Will if it's not the oil causing the wear then what?

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Did you loose a set of brushes since you drilled the hole in your starter? I followed your post and drilled a hole in both of mine and my son's.Will if it's not the oil causing the wear then what?
Nope, it haven't been drivin much since..maybe a couple of thousand kilometers.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
I bet it will help a bunch. oil hold the dust and grit to the places were the friction is occurring. carbon brushed are not intended to ride in an oil bath.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just had a look at my new starter(1 week old) and there is already oil in it. I was told by the dealer that this starter was a newer model which is total BS. Come on BRP its time to do something for your customers who had the misfortune to buy a sled with this crap starter(also lets not forget about the clutch)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just had a look at my new starter(1 week old) and there is already oil in it. I was told by the dealer that this starter was a newer model which is total BS. Come on BRP its time to do something for your customers who had the misfortune to buy a sled with this crap starter(also lets not forget about the clutch)
I drilled a hole like SUV1. I haven't checked it yet. Hope it will be dry. Also as per another post when you asked about my starter. It came in a heat sealed bag.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Domore I also drilled a hole in mine this time...hoping and praying this will help.

My starter arrived rolled in brown paper and it looks like it may be a rebuilt one. At this point I don't really trust this dealer that much.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
I bought mine from laforge last fall, when I was inquiring about an ace before the sale I asked have BRP addressed the problem with the starters...the answer I got fro the sales person was .........."what problem"??? :blink_old:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought mine from laforge last fall, when I was inquiring about an ace before the sale I asked have BRP addressed the problem with the starters...the answer I got fro the sales person was .........."what problem"??? :blink_old:
I guess all dealers and BRP must be in denial.....you know what they say if you get caught doing something wrong.....DENY! DENY! DENY!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts