Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BRP sent out a bulletin to it's dealers recently saying due to a large number of calls related to premature slider wear on sleds with sc4 skid they investigated the cause and found the following. Riders are experiencing premature wear when riding in marginal to poor snow conditions. The sliders will wear quickly in a localized area then stop. In most cases the sliders do not need to be replaced.

They are saying not to replace your sliders the skid need to wear them in then will stop and let the rest of the slider catch up. I've noticed some guys reporting in here the same thing. I just had mine replaced at 656 miles for free thanks to my great dealer HK POWERSPORTS but I'm keeping these til I see the rails.

What do you guys think?
 

·
800revX
Joined
·
629 Posts
XHO said:
BRP sent out a bulletin to it's dealers recently saying due to a large number of calls related to premature slider wear on sleds with sc4 skid they investigated the cause and found the following. Riders are experiencing premature wear when riding in marginal to poor snow conditions. The sliders will wear quickly in a localized area then stop. In most cases the sliders do not need to be replaced.

They are saying not to replace your sliders the skid need to wear them in then will stop and let the rest of the slider catch up. I've noticed some guys reporting in here the same thing. I just had mine replaced at 656 miles for free thanks to my great dealer HK POWERSPORTS but I'm keeping these til I see the rails.

What do you guys think?
[snapback]296985[/snapback]​
hate to say it but thats what mine did,,,,wore real fast at first, now there not wearing like they were...1/2 gone the 1st coupel hundred miles
, i have 700 miles and they look like they did at 200 miles
,, goood luck boys!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,793 Posts
XHO said:
BRP sent out a bulletin to it's dealers recently saying due to a large number of calls related to premature slider wear on sleds with sc4 skid they investigated the cause and found the following. Riders are experiencing premature wear when riding in marginal to poor snow conditions. The sliders will wear quickly in a localized area then stop. In most cases the sliders do not need to be replaced.

They are saying not to replace your sliders the skid need to wear them in then will stop and let the rest of the slider catch up. I've noticed some guys reporting in here the same thing. I just had mine replaced at 656 miles for free thanks to my great dealer HK POWERSPORTS but I'm keeping these til I see the rails.

What do you guys think?
[snapback]296985[/snapback]​
When you see the rails, you might as well replace the rails. Usually when your slides wear its because of lack of snow, so you'll wear them a ton and maybe wreck your rails.
I'll keep replacing mine before they get close to the rails. (my opinion)
 

·
RAIN IS NOT AN OPTION!
Joined
·
687 Posts
XHO said:
BRP sent out a bulletin to it's dealers recently saying due to a large number of calls related to premature slider wear on sleds with sc4 skid they investigated the cause and found the following. Riders are experiencing premature wear when riding in marginal to poor snow conditions. The sliders will wear quickly in a localized area then stop. In most cases the sliders do not need to be replaced.

They are saying not to replace your sliders the skid need to wear them in then will stop and let the rest of the slider catch up. I've noticed some guys reporting in here the same thing. I just had mine replaced at 656 miles for free thanks to my great dealer HK POWERSPORTS but I'm keeping these til I see the rails.

What do you guys think?
[snapback]296985[/snapback]​
I would like to approach this a bit more scientifically. Does anyone know the thickness of the sliders when new? In inches please.

Also XHO where did your sliders wear the most (right side left side under front wheels, etc.? How thin were they when you changed them? Can you measure them if you haven't already thrown them out?

Maybe we can get an idea of wear per mile at various locations on the slider.

I only have 400miles on my sled so they are still mostly there? I still would like to know how far they have worn though and that is why it would be nice to now the thickness when new.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[/quote]

I would like to approach this a bit more scientifically. Does anyone know the thickness of the sliders when new? In inches please.

Also XHO where did your sliders wear the most (right side left side under front wheels, etc.? How thin were they when you changed them? Can you measure them if you haven't already thrown them out?

Maybe we can get an idea of wear per mile at various locations on the slider.

I only have 400miles on my sled so they are still mostly there? I still would like to know how far they have worn though and that is why it would be nice to now the thickness when new.
[snapback]296997[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I don't know the actual measurment when new. The dealer did the change and had to send the old ones to BRP for examination, I don't know what they measure but they were worn just shy of the wear line only near the idler wheels on both sides Front and some near the rear idlers. They looked like this almost right away then didn't change much just like they said. I checked them every ride.
I'm still undecided on how I feel about this.
 

·
Shoooow meeee the POWDER!!
Joined
·
3,849 Posts
[/quote]

When you see the rails, you might as well replace the rails. Usually when your slides wear its because of lack of snow, so you'll wear them a ton and maybe wreck your rails.
I'll keep replacing mine before they get close to the rails. (my opinion)

[snapback]296993[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Same here!
Not gonna take the chance of ruining the rails. I'd rather spend $40 on hyfax than $300 on 2 new rails. By the way, I've went through almost 2 sets of hyfax on my SC-3 also, in 1,330 miles. Yes, a good handful of those miles were in minimal snow conditions too. I've got some wear time left, but my next trip will be a 800-1000 mile trip and I don't want to be worrying about my hifax during that time. I'll take the piece of mind and replace them now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,877 Posts
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW BRP KNOWS PEOPLE WITH THE SLIDER ISSUES ARE RIDING IN MARGINAL / POOR SNOW CONDITIONS. DO THEY HAVE A CRYSTAL BALL ? ARE THEY FOLLOWING PEOPLE AROUND ? C'MON.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you see the rails, you might as well replace the rails. Usually when your slides wear its because of lack of snow, so you'll wear them a ton and maybe wreck your rails.
I'll keep replacing mine before they get close to the rails. (my opinion)

[snapback]296993[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Same here!
Not gonna take the chance of ruining the rails. I'd rather spend $40 on hyfax than $300 on 2 new rails. By the way, I've went through almost 2 sets of hyfax on my SC-3 also, in 1,330 miles. Yes, a good handful of those miles were in minimal snow conditions too. I've got some wear time left, but my next trip will be a 800-1000 mile trip and I don't want to be worrying about my hifax during that time. I'll take the piece of mind and replace them now.

[snapback]297041[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I should clarify. That was a little exageration about seeing the rails. I check the slider condition after every ride. I mean to say I'm gonna see if I can get some more miles out of these. Like I said I still don't know if I like this. BRP could just be taking the easy way out again and point the finger at the customer for riding in low snow conditions and over reacting about how many miles we can get out of a set of sliders. I'm anxious to see how this settles with others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
I gotta' say that this is such a bucket of crap they are unloading on us!!! I am on my third set in 1300 miles. The first set may have made it from 160 to around 500. I didn't know if they would make it and I would be toast for the winter if my rails got whacked! My second set had 1000 miles and they looked as wavey as Lake Superior during the gales of November...they were DONE!!! To say that the wear stops at a certain point is an insult. One bad mark for DOO, in my mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
Here it is word for word, I wrote from memory last time.

SC4 Slide Shoe Wear:
The service department at BRP has received a number of calls this season regarding premature slide shoe wear on the new SC-4 equipped
models. It should be noted in many cases that after riding in marginal snow conditions or icy trails, the sliders may wear down close to the
wear limit line, and stop there. Most of the time it is not necessary to replace the sliders at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
The slider wear response is a load of crap from BRP. I would agree about the marginal snow / etc. But then why are the sliders not wearing out evenly? I had to replace the sliders on my 05 MXZ @ 650 KM and they are gone again now with 1800KM on them. Mine have gone twice now and I was running in good, deep, fresh snow, getting lots of lube to the track and sliders, so I do not believe what they are saying. There is now way that everyone is having the same problem and running in marginal snow areas.
Mine were wearing right at the front idler wheel, they are not wearing evenly....wearing more in a wave pattern. Sounds like BRP is trying to get out of fixing the problem and pushing it off to the owners. I do not want to be changing sliders every few hundred KM.
Would love to hear what others have to say.

XHO said:
Here it is word for word, I wrote from memory last time.

SC4 Slide Shoe Wear:
The service department at BRP has received a number of calls this season regarding premature slide shoe wear on the new SC-4 equipped
models. It should be noted in many cases that after riding in marginal snow conditions or icy trails, the sliders may wear down close to the
wear limit line, and stop there. Most of the time it is not necessary to replace the sliders at all.
[snapback]297088[/snapback]​
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,793 Posts
saltalarev said:
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW BRP KNOWS PEOPLE WITH THE SLIDER ISSUES ARE RIDING IN MARGINAL / POOR SNOW CONDITIONS. DO THEY HAVE A CRYSTAL BALL ? ARE THEY FOLLOWING PEOPLE AROUND ? C'MON.....
[snapback]297049[/snapback]​
EXACTELY. BRP is scamming and screwing everyone they can out of anything that costs them $$$$$. Its bad business, so now its our turn to give them what they deserve back!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
648 Posts
Rode 300 miles with 4 sleds in our group, My hyfax is the only one that shows wear. Mine is the only SC4. Doo2
 

·
going to an island soon
Joined
·
30,111 Posts
Not taking sides, just my 2 cents, I thought slides were to be broken in ?
Heating them up then cooling them quickly ??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
go to your local chevy/ford dealer and buy a new car. take it out of the showroom and burn the tires off it. take it back and see if they will waranty them. are all you guys crazy??!!! hifax-belts are wear items!!!! how the hell is brp supposed to know where the hell you have been riding??? those hifax and belts take extreme heat and last a good long time. whose to say how tight you have your track??? you are probably wearing out your own hifax. i have over 700 miles and mine look great and we haven't had the best snow year. enough with the whining!!! if you can't afford to replace your hifax-----stay home and watch tv. its cheaper!!!
 

·
800revX
Joined
·
629 Posts
mrmachz1006 said:
go to your local chevy/ford dealer and buy a new car. take it out of the showroom and burn the tires off it. take it back and see if they will waranty them. are all you guys crazy??!!! hifax-belts are wear items!!!! how the hell is brp supposed to know where the hell you have been riding??? those hifax and belts take extreme heat and last a good long time. whose to say how tight you have your track??? you are probably wearing out your own hifax. i have over 700 miles and mine look great and we haven't had the best snow year. enough with the whining!!! if you can't afford to replace your hifax-----stay home and watch tv. its cheaper!!!
[snapback]297303[/snapback]​
bad anailigy, if you bought a new car and drove away and the brakes were stuck on and they wore prematurely ,,,, should they be coverd??????you bet your a$$!!! say it with me DE-FEC-TIVE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
hey 800 rev x. boo hoo!!! brp should include a tissue holder for you on your next rev. that way you can cry and ride at the same time!!!
 
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Top