Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

281 - 300 of 394 Posts

·
Registered
27,762 Posts
Just a side note.

Porsche is developing a fuel that can be run in all ICE that is carbon neutral.

This won't be showing up in the neighborhood gas station any time soon but it does bring out the point that manufacturers of ICE "profit makers" won't be going quietly.

EV will be the future but they will co-exist for a bit.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35577611/porsche-synthetic-efuel-clean-emissions-testing/#:~:text=Porsche's%20eFuels%20are%20made%20out,manner%2C%20at%20least%20in%20theory
This is encouraging. Hopefully technology catapults in these areas to help remove the pollutants out of vehicles for obvious reasons like being stuck in traffic or warming-up the sled in the trailer, garage. There are fuels with enough lubricity that 2S oil is no longer required.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I can only imagine the size and cost of the batteries needed to power these things. I just don't see the combustion engine going anywhere anytime soon.
GM released a statement that by 2035 they will no longer produce gas or diesel powered vehicles. All electric lineup. It's coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
17,950 Posts
Why do they continue to produce and push heavy truck sales then? We are not going to buy an $80,000 box or dump truck for our business that's electric.

If they are going to get out of it, may as well do it now.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Lots of technology and infrastructure to be put in place, I would not be surprised if it took a few decades to get accomplished or more and at what cost to us tax payers? I still believe there will be millions of ICE engines still running around by then also. I am not a GREENIE, but we need to protect our environment also. If you look into what it takes to produce all these electric vehicles and components, you just might scratch your head and ask why? Once built the EV's are emission free until you have to scrap the batteries (Hazardous Waste) and what was the total emissions created to build these EV's, could it be more than the life span of an ICE vehicle? A little research will shock you. Just my 2 cents!

Bob

·
Registered
27,762 Posts
About twice the carbon footprint for the initial production? Just imagine the mining required. I hope the world doesn't get caught up in some kind of idealistic and definitive solutions.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
So the big question, WHY? $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and to make people think we are doing the right thing for the environment!

Bob

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
GM released a statement that by 2035 they will no longer produce gas or diesel powered vehicles. All electric lineup. It's coming.

IF that was a true statement, that would kill their sales market, they would turn their company into a warm climate sales only. With no "work trucks" in their lineup they will loose a huge market share.

If Major auto manufacturers turn to this line of thinking, our way of life will not be very interesting and exciting anymore.

·
Registered
27,762 Posts
So the big question, WHY? $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and to make people think we are doing the right thing for the environment!

Bob
I like the idea to kick start the process, but I don't see making 80 million Lithium Ion battery packs per year a definitive solution. For anything to be sustainable, I believe it needs to be diverse. I think ICE will be around for a long time, but much cleaner.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
Why do they continue to produce and push heavy truck sales then? We are not going to buy an $80,000 box or dump truck for our business that's electric.

If they are going to get out of it, may as well do it now.
Do you buy electric or natural gas Towmotors for loading and unloading stuff??? Just curious.... and when there are no diesel or gas trucks and you need a truck you will buy an electric one. If that is all their is. I don't know where heavy trucks are headed, but unfortunately cars and pickups are headed away from ICE.. I want to cry.. as the ICE has pretty much been my life. But government fuel economy standards are not going to be able to be met with ICE as the get tougher and tougher..

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
Simplicity vs Complexity...............choose
Looks simple... but that floor pan is all battery, and those batteries are made up of a lot of small parts mechanically put together.. good thing that a lot of them are in parallel so if you have a few bad connections they don't all drop out.... And then you have to cool them and I don't see the cooling features shown... Electric AC compressors running at very high RPM, nor see the heat exchangers associated with them. So the comparison is somewhat simple and not totally representative. Looks more representative of an electric skate board than an automobile. Albeit a large one.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
California: By 2035 all vehicles sold in the state of California must be 100% emission free. What a crock!!!!

Bob

·
Registered
249 Posts
Components of the electric motors and batteries in EV's require certain types, and amounts of Rare Earth Elements ( or metals). These are produced from mines in only a few countries around the globe. Most currently are processed in China. These elements are already considered "rare" and we are going to mine and process them in vast volumes for EV's. What is the enviromental impact of the mining and harvesting .long term. How long will these supplies last? Lots of pitfalls and misconceptions around the EV movement!

·
Super Moderator
29,248 Posts
IF that was a true statement, that would kill their sales market, they would turn their company into a warm climate sales only. With no "work trucks" in their lineup they will loose a huge market share.

If Major auto manufacturers turn to this line of thinking, our way of life will not be very interesting and exciting anymore.
They announced it alright - if they actually do it is yet to be seen. I doubt it'll happen, I could be wrong.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/gm-go-all-electric-2035-phase-out-gas-diesel-engines-n1256055

·
Registered
304 Posts

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/gm-go-all-electric-2035-phase-out-gas-diesel-engines-n1256055

281 - 300 of 394 Posts