Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

x_y_of_z_posts

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave a 1997 Grand Touring 700. Broke the float post taking the pin out (stupid me). Aside from getting the post welded, are there any other repair options or am I looking a getting a replacement? Thanks

·
Registered
x_posts
I got this fix from another post, haven't had to try it yet.
What you need to do is drill the carb body in the center of the post location, then, use gasket tack glue and put it on the post. Line the post up where it should be on the carb body. The glue will leave a mark on the post except where the hole was drilled, that will give you the location to drill the post. Use the shank of a pop rivet as a stiffener to strenghten the joint. Drill the holes for a snug fit, then JB weld it together.

·
Mainway Solutions Inc.
2020 Renegade XRS
x_posts

I don't know if you have ever seen those extractor sets that have drill guides for drilling in the center
of a broken bolt or stud,
you should be able to drill both pieces with it and then use a roll pin and JB weld
Tap it together and align float pin

jb weld is great stuff but needs to dry overnight

·
Keeping Skioutty on his toes...
2017 Ski doo Renegade 900...2022 Polaris Indy 137 XC 650
x_posts
And 11 years later...

·
Registered
x_posts
I broke my float post off trying to remove the pin. This helped
It was easy if you have enough room.

Welcome to the forum. Just a note that that thread is 11 years old.

That said I have not seen that repair before now. I don't think it would hold up to the banging I give my machines but add some JB Weld and maybe so. Cheers.

·
Registered
x_posts
Welcome to the forum. Just a note that that thread is 11 years old.

That said I have not seen that repair before now. I don't think it would hold up to the banging I give my machines but add some JB Weld and maybe so. Cheers.
I am amazed with the type of repairs that can be done when in a bind. I think it is important to note there is an availability of good used carbs on the market. And even if the used carb has a corroded pin that needs persuasion, then the initial trial&error will have served its purpose.

·
Registered
2019 MXZX 600r
x_posts
I use to use a socket in a vice and rest the post on the socket so the post wouldn't break. They actually break pretty easy and it's always the side with the flat part of the pin.

·
Registered
x_posts
I've converted to using a small center punch. Works great!

In the end, whatever works for everyone is great, as long as the result is the desired one.

Reactions: Daag44

·
Registered
x_posts
I have my own machine shop. I have fixed broken float posts. I used a piece of 1/4 inch aluminum rod to make a stud. thread one end to 1/4-28 fine thread. Align carb and Milled broken post down and Drilled and tap carb body. Thread stud in tight with lock tight. Then machine stud to match needed clearances and drill cross hole.

We run lectron carbs on our race engines. The type we use are nolonger made so we got to salvage the broken ones. Fixed about 6 of them over the years

x_y_of_z_posts