Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like my rings might be gone. After crossing a road I hit the throttle & felt that my sled just didn't pull hard. When I stopped, the engine felt like it was running on 1 cyl. Changed the plugs, same thing & back fires at lower rpm. plugged the spark plug holes with my fingers & looks like the clutch side cyl has allmost no compression. I have no warranty, it was up in Dec. I have been bugging my dealer about rings for the last 2 years & all they say is don't worry about it, if there is a problem it should have gone by know. It is a 04 800HO with 5900kms. Has anyone had any problems getting this covered after there warranty is up.

·
Certifiable Sledhead and Cybertruck Reservation Ho
4,212 Posts
Renegade X H.O. said:
Looks like my rings might be gone. After crossing a road I hit the throttle & felt that my sled just didn't pull hard. When I stopped, the engine felt like it was running on 1 cyl. Changed the plugs, same thing & back fires at lower rpm. plugged the spark plug holes with my fingers & looks like the clutch side cyl has allmost no compression. I have no warranty, it was up in Dec. I have been bugging my dealer about rings for the last 2 years & all they say is don't worry about it, if there is a problem it should have gone by know. It is a 04 800HO with 5900kms. Has anyone had any problems getting this covered after there warranty is up.
[snapback]699158[/snapback]​
Sounds more like you fried a piston to me. The "ring thing" usually manifests itself as a gradual loss of performance (stalling into reverse, hard cold starting, worse fuel mileage), and not a sudden loss of compression in one cylinder like you're experiencing.

You likely either suffered an air leak of some sort or iced the PTO main jet (no isopropyl in gas). Check your carb boot on that side. If it's torn then that's your trouble... there seems to be a bit of an epidemic of 800 HOs with torn boots

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
What roamer said. A ring doesn't usually just go like that. I think you sucked some air and cooked a piston.Good luck

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bullett said:
What roamer said. A ring doesn't usually just go like that. I think you sucked some air and cooked a piston.Good luck
[snapback]699382[/snapback]​
If you sucked air in wouldn't the spark plug be white & has anyone had this problem covered by ski doo. I am hearing alot of problems with carb boots just like rings.

·
Certifiable Sledhead and Cybertruck Reservation Ho
4,212 Posts
Renegade X H.O. said:
If you sucked air in wouldn't the spark plug be white & has anyone had this problem covered by ski doo. I am hearing alot of problems with carb boots just like rings.
[snapback]699485[/snapback]​
Did you warm the sled up to operating temp. b4 flogging on it? If not you might have a cold seize happening. Or your piston could've spit out the ring locating pin, allowing the ring to rotate around to the exhaust port and break. Or perhaps you leaned out just enough to squeek a piston, but not enough to whiten your spark plug...

The only way you'll know for sure what's happened is to tear it down and look for yourself (but if you tear it down yourself then no warranty). If a dealer does it and the failure was caused by a known issue (and you have a good dealer) then you have a good chance of getting it covered.

If you don't want to chance a big repair bill from your dealer you might consider buying a manual and repairing it yourself. It's actually not very difficult.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Roamer7 the engine was warm. I will be calling my dealer tomorrow so we will see. If I half to fork out for the whole thing then my season will be done. That sucks big time because the season is just beginning

·
ammunta katselija
1,698 Posts
Renegade X H.O. said:
Roamer7 the engine was warm. I will be calling my dealer tomorrow so we will see. If I half to fork out for the whole thing then my season will be done. That sucks big time because the season is just beginning

[snapback]699531[/snapback]​
If you live around the Minneapolis area, I will help you rebuild it if the warrantee doesn't work out for you, or if you live somewhere else I am sure someone in your area would help you out if you ask for help on here. Good Luck

·
Registered
62 Posts
FRIED MY PISTON AND TORE UP THE BOTTOM END A COUPLE WEEKS AGO, 2100.00 IN PARTS ALONE COVERED BY WARRANTY. DOO HAS BEEN KNOWN TO COVER BASE GASKET LEAKS, BOOTS, AND EXHAUST LEAK DAMAGE UNDER GOOD FAITH IF SLED JUST CAME OUT OF WARRANTY. TAKE IT TO THE DEALER, HAVE THE TECH TEAR DOWN THE MOTOR, AND PRESENT YOUR SITUATION TO BRP. IF YOU TAKE IT APART YOURSELF YOU ARE SOL. GETTING PARTS THOUGH, WELL YOU SHOULD KNOW BY NOW THIER BACKORDERED.

·
Registered
463 Posts
mojogunter said:
Renegade X H.O. said:

[snapback]699531[/snapback]​
If you live around the Minneapolis area, I will help you rebuild it if the warrantee doesn't work out for you, or if you live somewhere else I am sure someone in your area would help you out if you ask for help on here. Good Luck
[snapback]699547[/snapback]​
I don't live in the area, Thanks It is nice to see people out there wanting to help to get someones sled going again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts