Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reinstalling my case halves with a reman crank and broke a bolt!

It's located on the MAG side. All other bolts are good. What are my options and how do I remove this? Could I leave it? Number 7 on picture.

581740ca2758742b62c9d88701f8eff6.jpg

·
Registered
815 Posts
Extract for sure..

Please don't be offended..you are mechanical enough to rebuild your engine but you come here to ask "should and/or how" to remove a broken bolt? Confused...Should you be rebuilding this engine? Are you using a torque wrench? My guess no otherwise how do you snap that bolt? Again don't be offended but you likely have a bunch of money into this rebuild and hate to see a failure shortly after..

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
How did you snap this bolt? Are you using a good torque wrench? Are you paying attention to inch pounds vs foot pounds?

·
Registered
190 Posts
For sure take it apart remove and replace the bolt. - Bill
I'm with Bill, remove all the other bolts, separate the halves, vice grips on the broken bolt if the bolt is still sticking out and remove broken bolt. May want to replace the torque wrench or get one if you aren't using one.

·
Always wrenching on toys
1,477 Posts
The guy comes here and asks a good question and a few of you rip him :dry_old:

I assume the reason it broke it because you have junk on the threads and the bolt went in tight all the way and then snapped off on you. It will not be fun extracting that bolt if that's the situation. You need to drill that baby straight down the middle of that bolt. Then extract with and easy out. Worst case, and I mean worst case, you have have to drill it out (threads and all) and put a "deep" Time Sert in it to save your case.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Had the case split and bolt removed and replaced within 20 mins of this topic.

My torque wrench is a little on the positive side apparently..

This was more of a panic post if anything. I was thinking there wouldn't be enough bolt for me to grab a hold of and thread it out. False alarm.

Sled is at dealer today to get ECM reset, Raves synced, oil primed and y pipe torqued.

AND

for the haters

d0b016a867_1.jpg

57101841.jpg

57959553.jpg

·
Always wrenching on toys
1,477 Posts
gotchya- once the other bolts were removed, you had the bolt to grab and turn out. You didn't snap the bolt at the threads. Good deal.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Not sure if a couple of you picked up on this, but at times, even if we know we can come up with a solution for an annoying problem such as this one, we enjoy asking for help here anyway. Maybe there is a new product for the job, a better way... and heck, I'm sure that some of these topics are from frustrated people looking for a bit of moral support to keep them going!

There is no such thing as a stupid question!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Extract for sure..

Please don't be offended..you are mechanical enough to rebuild your engine but you come here to ask "should and/or how" to remove a broken bolt? Confused...Should you be rebuilding this engine? Are you using a torque wrench? My guess no otherwise how do you snap that bolt? Again don't be offended but you likely have a bunch of money into this rebuild and hate to see a failure shortly after..
To get the proper torque, one should clean the hole threads with the correct tap, blow it out before torque. Same with the bolt threads. And I am aware that people have gotten away with not doing this. At this point you have to get the broken bolt out as already stated by Mr. Cudney.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Not sure if a couple of you picked up on this, but at times, even if we know we can come up with a solution for an annoying problem such as this one, we enjoy asking for help here anyway. Maybe there is a new product for the job, a better way... and heck, I'm sure that some of these topics are from frustrated people looking for a bit of moral support to keep them going!

There is no such thing as a stupid question!
x2

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
One of the tricks I learned for extracting broken bolts is to weld a nut to the stud and just back it out. I have a cheap wire-feed welder nothing fancy.

This is especially good for getting steel out of aluminum were there has been some galvanic corrosion. Example broken exhaust manifold bolts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts