Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 GSX failure. My mother's sled. Said she saw flames coming from good while riding it. Pulled over and watched it roast... Nothing we could do. What usually causes these sleds to fire up?. uploadfromtaptalk1455374972042.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1455374988776.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wasn't p brake. I don't think she even knows how to set it!

·
Stay to the right, in your lane and slow down.
1,526 Posts
Are you 100% sure was not the parking brake or brake dragging thus heating up the brake disc? If the brake is set or dragging it takes very little time to heat the brake disc up enough (Cherry Red) to melt the oil tank and/or lines to the point of a leak and the oil catches fire. I have luckily been able to put out three different fires by acting very quickly to get the machine stopped and the fire out.

A word of caution, if the fuel line or tank catches fire you don't want to be in the immediate vicinity of the fire or machine. The last fire I put out was on a friends machine last year because of an parking brake set that he does not recall doing and my gloves were burned a bit and the fuel line was just starting to leak as all the fuel leaked out after the fire was out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah we were 20 miles into the ride. Don't think it would move without noticing that the brakes on for that long.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Yeah we were 20 miles into the ride. Don't think it would move without noticing that the brakes on for that long.

does Mom use hand muffs? I had one put enough pressure on the brake lever to just barely engage the brake it got hot enough to boil the brake fluid in just a few miles. Caught in time tried to stop and nooooo brakes

·
Registered
1 Posts
One of my Buddies who was a new rider his starter engaged while riding it caught fire like that, not saying your mom wouldn't notice it, he didn't just because he didn't know any different.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Ride it like ya stole it
3,759 Posts
my buddy purchased a new to him 2012 800 Gade X and didn't know the parking brake was on... only took 2 miles and the thing started to a melt down( brake disk) luckily the motor went into limp mode..

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just liability.... Tight ass... She only paid $3500 5 years ago for it so she's not out too much $$$ for what she got.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ha! Wish it was. Bad way to get a new rig...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts