Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a brand called brite lights anyone have any experiance with other brands like piaa?

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
piaa makes probably the best. i bought a set of cheapy xenon bulbs from royal distributing and i'm really happy with how well they work.

·
Shoooow meeee the POWDER!!
3,849 Posts
I have a pair of Brite Lites in my '05 600 SDI and I love them. Not sure how they compare to stock since I put these in before I even rode it. But they light up the trail really good at night. I use the ones that are same wattage as the stock bulbs. I'd recommend them.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the brite lights and i wasn't very happy with them They are yellow though I am looking for a bright white light I ride at night only usually

·
3,849 Posts
Mine have the blueish tint to them and create a nice bright "white" light at night. When the sleds off you can see the blueish tint from the bulbs in the headlight housing. (see picture below) My buddy (in the pic) also runs the same bulbs and is happy with them. A couple others in our group run the same brand but have the yellowish tint to them. They say the yellow tint helps see throught the snow dust on trail easier, kinda like yellow fog lights on a car. They are happy with those as well. My buddy or I usually lead, so we got the blueish tint on ours.

Yes, some you can get with the same wattage as stock bulbs but they have a higher lumen (sp?) output. While there are others than have a higher wattage output as well as a higher lumen (sp?) output. I chose to stay with the stock wattage, that way it doesn't rob power from the other things on the sled. JMO

·
Registered
351 Posts
I use Xtreme Vision Xenon blubs, same wattage as stock. They are a whiter light with faint blue tint, they are suppose to give you the HID feel

I compared it to my friends sled the other night and there is a big difference. Some people say if it is snowing out it will be harder to see, I can't really say because the snow hasn't fallen much this year

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no one has the piaa? seems like everyone is happy with the brite lights brand maybe i will go to the auto store also they have so many diffrent brands out now everyone carrys the h-4's they are used in lots of cars

·
3,849 Posts
I believe "Irondog" on here has the PIAA lights. You can try sending him a PM about them. I think the PIAA's are a bit more expensive, but they are a good bulb. I think Sylvannia makes an H-4 bulb that has the blueish tint too. I would assume as long as it's an H-4 bulb and the wattage isn't too high, you could use it in a sled. I think the stock wattage is 60w/55w for the high/low beam.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I have a yellow, Bluhm Industries/Brite Lights in the right socket, 55/60W and an Eiko 80/100W in the other side and it is absolutely killer! Not only is the light brighter but the contrast I get from the Yellow bulb is great in the snow and in the dust. Not too long ago someone made the point that one doesn't want a whiter light, the snow is white!, one wants a brighter/higher wattage light with contrast. I also put 80/100's in my truck and have not had a problem with any sort of headlight housing melting whatsoever.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found this topic in the search and everyone said the piaa was like $60 a bulb but performed the best but pricey you dont want more watts you want more lumens

·
Registered
572 Posts
Someone on another post listed these bulbs, anyone try them?
www.bluhmenterprises.com

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is what i have brite lites 55/100 watt is what the box says they offer higher wattage also but the box says 220w alt req,to me this statement is telling me anything over stock wattage is just going to pull away from my hand grips etc

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I have PIAA extreme white plus in my Chevy Trailblazer and like them very much. If I decide to justify the price for some in my sled that is what I would get. They are way better than stock!

·
Registered
425 Posts
regarding the yellow vs. blue issue:

you will see all sorts of references to "color temperature" - as in "4100 kelvin" or "5800 kelvin" etc.

if you google to Philips, Sylvania, or GE's website on bulbs, you may bump into info I found interesting - the human eye is more sensitive to light in the longer wavelenght (red) end of the spectrum than short end (violet). I dug out my college physics book and see that light ranges in the order of red, orange, yelow, green, blue, violet.

a "yellow" bulb (say 2700 degrees kelvin) producing the same number of lumens will result in greater visibility than an equal lumen blue temp bulb (5800k). I know a yellow lens like that available on the BVS2 helmet makes a dramatic difference at dusk, so this all probably makes sense.

If I were to put in a different set I would (and may) try the Gold H4's or simmilar bulbs.

Any tech lighting experts out there beg to differ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts