Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i just got my 2014 Summit X 800R etec, picked it up on friday last week, went for a run on saturday and worked great, ran 50 km, today was gonna go out for a ride and i started it, started fine (in the garage) let it run for about 1 min then turned it off, when i was about to start it the next time it only ran on 1 cylinder and reving 1150 rpm and lights flashed and rmps got lower and lower and died, tried again and it did the same thing, checked the coil cables, let it cool down for 2 hours and nothing, havent checked the spark plug yet cuz it didnt come any special spark plug remover with the sled so i gotta buy 1, it feels like it cant be the sparkplug, i mean cmon.... 50 km and i have to change spark plugs? any ideas or tips i can try ?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
151 Posts
YOU shouldn't have to change the spark plugs. Take it back to the dealer and let them run the diagnostics on it. I fouled a plug on my 2012 Freeride and it did the same thing. There is one in every 10,000 or so that goes bad - you're the lucky one that got it.

BTW - those are expensive plugs and you don't want to have to replace it yourself, there's a reason no plug wrench comes in the tool kit. Take it back to the dealer quick.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Yea you just spent a good amount of cash on a new sled, the last thing you want anyone to do is "work" on the engine"!

Dealer will fix you right up!!!! (Had well over 3000 miles on my sled when I had the dealer replace the plugs) Agree you could have a bad one but you should not have to deal with getting it corrected yourself.

Good luck!

·
Registered
628 Posts
I fouled a plug at about that mileage last year on 13
Was injector

·
Registered
628 Posts
I was able to start mine with the bad injector by applying throttle as I pulled - like the old days...

would not run very good

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Sucks that you have that kinda drive ahead of you but I would be taking it back. Could be a whole list of things so better to let them look at it. Theres a reason for a reason it comes with warranty

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got warranty work done on my 08 from a dealer next to the hotel. I was 200 miles away from home and the dealer that sold the sled. Hope you have a dealer closer to home OUCH

·
Registered
151 Posts
Probably better to call ahead and see if you can get same day service - otherwise it wil be 1000 km drive and two days off work

·
Registered
151 Posts
Nope, couldn't change them on the trail anyway - not without a couple extensions and swivel adapters. It's pretty uncommon for them to fail.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I feel your pain, frustration, confusion, ect... The first thing I would have done was thunk "these fff&&ing carbs its a plug again". And start fishing out the trusty spark plug wrench. For me its a internal panic state where I just pray it rolls over. That goes with anything I own that burns fuel. And thats probably why most of us bought an etec. No carbs, no silly little jets to get clogged, first pull everytime, labeled to be bullet proof. If it had carbs you would have fixed it by slapping a new plug in shaking your head cuz your buddies etec is quielty purring next to you. Trying to figure out why your sled just fouled a plug for no good reason (been there). But now you have an etec and still dealing with the same fouled plugs?

Hello warranty and hope its an easy fix.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The dealer was gonna talk to brp since they had never had to change change plugs on an 800 etec due to this this problem, he was gonna send a couple of plugs so i i could change change them myself.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
okay ! I would look for loose wire harness connectors ! You probably need an injector ! I would also get an extended warranty if you do not have one ! By the way all you need to change the plugs is a 19mm wrench and a plug socket ! I changed my plugs last night inmy MXZ 800 XS-X and it did not take long ! The old plugs were Wicked Black ,like out of a diesel ! LOL

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just remember that the plugs should be indexed. Looking at where the injectors are the electrode should be either 90 degrees (either way) or 180 degrees (with the opening on the electrode facing the injectors). Torque to 21lbs/ft.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had that happen on 2011 etec. Started it then shut it off before warm up cycle.

Fouled both plugs. lucky our dealer supplies us with 2 plugs in tool kit.

I changed both plugs and it's worked ok ever since that day

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hard to believe it just plugs, but you never know. Hard to believe at 56 bucks a plug that one isn't working, spark plug cap not being on tight sounds more logical then a bad plug lol. I wouldn't take any BS from your dealer. They should make room for you to get in for "same day" service. It is a brand new machine, there is no way it should run bad. Good Luck though.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
There is no way I would take a sled that far to get fixed when it could possibly be a plug. The plugs are super easy to change and is a quick way to save you hundreds of dollars of driving.

I also carry spare plugs with me because in the middle of the mountains it is just about the only thing you can diagnose and I have seen guys have plugs fail and it's ruin a day and trip so crazy not to have one guy in a group with plugs and a wobble extension.

Also it is a 16MM deep socket needed. Not 19MM

1 - 20 of 26 Posts