Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I install a Team Secondary on my 2003 800 rev and it seems to to get up a go much better. I was riding around the yard last night pretending I was running a snowcross
!!

After ~15 minutes I smelled something hot, but not burning! I made another 80 mph shot across the yard..... I grabbed the brake and it went to the bar. Somehow my mind instructed me to pump, and pump fast. Thank god after ~5-6 pumps, I got pressure back and the sled slowed before the tree!
. Well I pulled the sled over to the garage went in the house to change my diaper!

I came back to the sled with brake fluid and a wrench. After I broke the fitting loose, lots of air, but the fluid was boiling out. Yes, I burned myself on the rotor. SMOKING hot.

My question is did I screw something up with the install on the Team Clutch to cause this?

Like I stated, it seems that the sled is quite a bit faster, so I'm a bit harder on the brakes to slow down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Keithstef

·
Mod'n is my thing
6,288 Posts
Better get the 440 racing brake disk for better cooling. Some X sleds and summits came with them. Big John has them for sale.
Make sure you have a stainless brake hose too. Makes a big difference when it comes to mushy feel. I have one if you need it. $40 shipped for takeoff or $45 for longer stainless hose new.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ttt.

Rev barron - I just never had this happen in the past 3300 miles. Just not sure if it's related.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Like Chuck said, the 440X comes with awesome rotors that cool GREAT...Eqiup your NON 440x rotor with a product making it faster, and you potentially have rootor issues from working the brake harder like you said...You ansrewed your own questions....get the 440X rotor and a stainless steel cable...

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
You just boiled the brake fluid, not related to the clutch, and is kinda common on standard brake ski doos, My X hasnt done it yet. My first experience with this was on my Turbo 670 at over 100mph with the end of a field fast approaching..I had to check my shorts after I got stopped.

·
Registered
513 Posts
TT670 said:
You just boiled the brake fluid, not related to the clutch, and is kinda common on standard brake ski doos, My X hasnt done it yet. My first experience with this was on my Turbo 670 at over 100mph with the end of a field fast approaching..I had to check my shorts after I got stopped.
[snapback]296092[/snapback]​
LOL You do like to push the limits don't TT!!!!!!

REVBob

·
Registered
383 Posts
Keith,
Unrelated problem, nothing to do with your clutch. I would start by checking the pads on that side getting low? It is an 03 could be do for a set by now. My 04 needed a set in one season. Maybe bleed the fluid and have a look at that as well. I would maybe pull the caliper and see if you have a leaking caliper and go though the system and touble shoot. Last thing you need is a failed brake now.
There is no need to go out and spend more money on a new brake like rotor etc unless they old ones are damaged.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TheGhost said:
Keith,
Unrelated problem, nothing to do with your clutch. I would start by checking the pads on that side getting low? It is an 03 could be do for a set by now. My 04 needed a set in one season. Maybe bleed the fluid and have a look at that as well. I would maybe pull the caliper and see if you have a leaking caliper and go though the system and touble shoot. Last thing you need is a failed brake now.
There is no need to go out and spend more money on a new brake like rotor etc unless they old ones are damaged.
[snapback]298511[/snapback]​
TheGhost:
I did replace the pads prior to this seaon.

Last night I bleed the system with new dot 4 fluid.
The lever feels better than it did for awhile! Much Stronger!

The added acceleration from the clutch you sent ampified the problem!

As for the Team Clutch, in a 300 ft run, I'm able to get ~80mph. I do't recall reaching those speeds in the past. Seems like an improvement!

Thanks all for the info.

Later
Keith

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
. All it takes is a bit of moisture, brake fluid is hydroscopic( meaning it absorbs moisture) It doesnt take much moisture in the system to get hot and vaporize when your on the binders hard...Fluid cannot be compressed, vapors can. It makes the brake lever go away in a hurry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.